Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP Built-in Particle Shaders

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Wahooney, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Wahooney

Wahooney

Am I missing something or are there no built-in particle shaders in the HDRP?

Neiist likes this.
  2. elbows

elbows

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    oliverdiamant1 likes this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

from: https://forum.unity.com/threads/fee...-render-pipelines.470095/page-16#post-3558115

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

Aren't VFX and particles two different things? Or is HDRP only going to support VFX? Seems like particle support should happen first before VFX though.

5. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Particles are a part of VFX so it's called VFX Editor to cover everything in that area.

6. elbows

elbows

The VFX system as it is currently described really is a flexible particle system, it doesnt do anything non-particle based and as best I can tell various aspects of the design are all about what makes sense for particles. This still covers quite a lot of territory and I suppose people could 'misuse it' in a way that makes it less obvious that it is a particle system, but thats still really what it is.

Given time I suppose this description by me might prove a little too narrow, but for now I'm sticking to it.

By the way I changed the link in my post about documentation because I was not linking to the highest level of the provisional docs before.

7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yea, that's pretty much what I meant (my wording was too broad) The majority of the VFX in most games will be particles then others might be shaders, more custom solutions that deal with code(for rendering), models, and simulations.

As far as I can tell particles is what it's made for/aiming at as you mentioned.

8. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

9. eco_bach

eco_bach

So how do you change the Default-ParticleSystem material to use this new Shader?
    The Shader dropdown is greyed out when I create a legacy particle System.

10. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

That’s because it’s the old built-in material, which is read-only.

Create your own material and then you can assign any shader you like.

SMML likes this.
  11. radiantboy

radiantboy

Im trying to convert some old particle systems to HDRP but they look/behave much worse, is there some standard way of doing it that gets them back to what they were like?

And which shader should I use? how to set actual opacity?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  12. weeadamp

weeadamp

It is in FX/Flare

13. radiantboy

radiantboy

FX/Flare doesant work properly here. Im so frustrated I have spent hundreds on particle systems and cant use any of them.

14. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

There is an add-on example package if you go to the Package Manager and select the HDRP package. Or visit the link I posted a few posts higher up, though that is quite old now.

radiantboy likes this.
  15. radiantboy

radiantboy

Awesome, does this show how to convert old particle systems? would be awesome, often when I swap shader to anything but standard (then use wizard) it just loses all the textures.

16. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Sorry there's no automatic conversion at the moment - it's a manual process of swapping the shader for one of the ShaderGraph-based ones, and applying the equivalent settings.

17. radiantboy

radiantboy

REALLY painful man!..
    and how not to lose textures?

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

If you need to swap a lot of content this way, I'd look into modifying the HDRP particle SG's and change their input properties (actual variable names, not the visual names) to match the old shaders variable names. This would let you swap the shaders in place better without losing the references to textures etc.

Or if you have more time to dedicate for this, just write some conversion script that remaps the materials, you'd have better time with this approach as there can be some reserved variable names on HDRP/SRPs you can't or shouldn't use for whatever reason on shader graphs.

19. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

As a side note, would be nice if Unity could convert, say this sample pack for URP and HDRP shaders: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/tutorial-projects/unity-particle-pack-127325

It's probably the most polished Shuriken example and being able to see how you should map the SRP shaders for it could be valuable reference for people who are migrating to SRPs. Not everyone will just jump to Visual Effect Graph immediately when they have old content authored with the Shuriken setup.

rhah likes this.
  20. reggie5538

reggie5538

I agree It would be super helpful!!