Search Unity

Bug [HDRP] Builds using the Cloud Layer feature show a black screen on certain GPUs

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by XaneFeather, Feb 2, 2022.

1. XaneFeather

XaneFeather

Hello,

this has caused a lot of chin-scratching, but a recent build I shared with my colleague has reportedly been stuck in a black screen right after loading into the scene. Upon investigating further by using older hardware I could reproduce the same issue. Here is what I found out:

Any builds with using the "Cloud Layer" feature simply turned on in the global volume (and hooked up in the Background Clouds section of the Visual Element) show a black screen on certain GPUs. Luckily we have access to a variety of NVidia GPUs and noticed that anything under the 10-Series (<= GTX 970), including any Intel iGPUs, seem to show the same symptoms. Anything above (GTX 1060, GTX 1080, GTX 2080 TI, GTX 3080) seems to run just fine.

Builds were all made in 2021.2.8 and 2021.2.9 respectively. The player.log produced by the development build did not show any errors nor exceptions.

This is very easy to reproduce by slightly tweaking the HDRP Sample scene by turning on Cloud Layers in the global volume and compiling a build.

2. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks for the detailled report and investigation.
    We'll try to find the proper hardware to try and have a consistent repro. If it's the case, I'll drop a case number here and keep you posted.
    Cheers.

3. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

FYI, we managed to reproduce the problem and I've logged a case here if you need the tracking.

nehvaleem and XaneFeather like this.
  4. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

any progress with that? I am experiencing the same issue.

5. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Hello, sorry about the inconvenience. We fixed it and are backporting it to 21.3 and 22.2, it should be available soon

XaneFeather likes this.
  6. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Any updates with that?

7. glatteinfo

glatteinfo

I experienced the same issue if the terrain had materials added that did not properly transform into HDRP. In the terrain layer, it did not mark the materials as broken though (displayed them correctly), but whenever you look at the part of the terrain that's painted with the "broken" materials, the whole screen turns black.

8. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Sadly, there's no update. We have the fix, it's just waiting to be merged and backported.
    The backport process is a bit slower than usual these days.
    Thanks for your patience.

This looks like NaNs, while we wait for the fix, can you try checking "stop NaNs" on your camera to see if that change anything? It has a slight cost but it might mitigate some of them.

glatteinfo likes this.
  9. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

I've seen that it was merged as the issuetracker now states that it is
    Fixed in 2022.2.0a16.2397_234ebb353e35
    . Is there anyway we can track progress of the backporting process?

10. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

the backport PR will be made soon, but as long as it's not there the progress can't be tracked.
    If needed the fix can be manually backported by including the relevant changes from this commit (files CloudLayer.shader and DefaultCloudMap.png)

11. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

any news about backport to 2021.3?

12. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Backport has been made and should be fixed starting 2021.3.7f1 (and above)

nehvaleem likes this.