Search Unity

HDRP Black screen on launch

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HamishDunn, Aug 12, 2021.

1. HamishDunn

HamishDunn

Issue
    Launch enters a scene with a camera and lit cube but only shows a black screen.
    Splash screen shows blank dark-grey texture instead of the Unity logo:
    Sprocket_Gd8pybKvM8.png
    No custom scripts running. Only occurs in build (Windows).

Only one thing thrown (repeatedly):
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     Thread group size must be above zero
    2.     UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline:Render(ScriptableRenderContext, Camera[])
    3.     UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager:DoRenderLoop_Internal(RenderPipelineAsset, IntPtr, List`1)
    4.     [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Shaders/ComputeShader.cpp line 1349229880]
    Tried:
    - Restarting editor and my PC.
    - Updating and reinstalling graphics drivers.
    - Building on another similar-setup project, works fine.
    - Building in Mono, doesn't work either.

On Unity 2020.3.12f1, HDRP 10.5.1, IL2CPP, Windows 10 64-bit
    DirectX 11 Shader model 5.0 capable GPU

Was working fine ~10 days ago, no software-updates since then. I'm guessing I've messed up a setting.
    Auto Graphics API is enabled (saw this on a similar-ish post).
    Any clues?

Update:
    - Reverted project settings to a backup from when it was working. No change.
    - Tested the build on another machine, worked perfectly. Something is wrong on this specific project on this specific machine.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  2. HamishDunn

HamishDunn

Fixed!
    The problem was caused by poor screen resolution management. Settings were defaulting to 0x0 resolution @0hz, resulting in a black screen. This was then auto-saved in player-prefs, causing the app to launch with this configuration, causing the splash screen to fail as well.

3. altepTest

altepTest

how that happen? did you do something yourself to cause the bug? please give more details to help people in the future

4. HamishDunn

HamishDunn

Poor screen resolution management on my part. Just be careful when saving & loading screen resolution settings. When you fix your end, reset the player-prefs so it doesn't launch with the bad screen settings.