Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

HDRP Antialiasing

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Ralrigs, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Ralrigs

Ralrigs

Hello, im using the HDRP but the temporal antialiasing cant be customized anymore or im missing somethink?
    because atually the TAA is a bit to smooth/blurry for me

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, it cannot be customised any more. Having said this, it's important to view the effect at the intended resolution. Most people judge from the editor window, is which is usually less than a modern phone.

3. Ralrigs

Ralrigs

Ok thank you, i will try to see a build then to judge better may be im wrong also.

4. Ralrigs

Ralrigs

After testing, i have same quality of the editor
    That pretty bad because i was likig the fact of been able to reduice those blur with the TAA now its just to blurry

Capture.PNG TAA

Capture2.PNG
    MSAA High Setting

Capture1.PNG
    FXAA

And the other antialiasing are to much jittering (even more with reflection)and aliased

gesicht, Justin37 and Velo222 like this.
  5. unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

Why the hell is customization disabled. What idiot came up with that idea... Now we have a mandatory sharpening filter when taa is enabled... Not to mention every use case is different.

6. Haugkall

Haugkall

I tried the antialising and on leaf textures it just blurs everything out, looks awful.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Report the version of unity and HDRP and a screenshot if need be. Also try with and without motion blur, see if help can be found.

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You can still manually modify the TAA shader, but you need to make a local copy of HDRP package for this. See the shader defines at the top of the shader:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...tProcessing/Shaders/TemporalAntialiasing.hlsl

0n 7.0.1 HDRP it has these controls which you can alter:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #define HDR_MAPUNMAP        1
    2. #define CLIP_AABB           1
    3. #define RADIUS              0.75
    4. #define FEEDBACK_MIN        0.96
    5. #define FEEDBACK_MAX        0.91
    6. #define SHARPEN             1
    7. #define SHARPEN_STRENGTH    0.6
    if you don't like sharpen just change that value to 0, or reduce the strength if you still want some. You can tweak feedback min and max if you want to reduce the TAA in motion (if it ghosts badly).

I've had conversation with Unity staff before on this topic and conclusion was that these settings are hidden on purpose. I strongly disagree but this is what you get (you can still change them, it's just not as convenient as it used it be.

9. DGordon

DGordon

It makes sense. Everyone's project is the same and TAA has no known visual issues to deal with, so letting people tweak values would just allow people to make mistakes.

Seriously. Unity needs to open up their post processing to asset store creators.

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

11. BradZoob

BradZoob

Did we ever discover WHY they hid them though? it just seems bizarre.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The official reason I read was they didn't want people to use bad settings (which is surprisingly easy to achieve with TAA).

It's not bizarre - exposing everything in inspector is a recipe for bad editor design and leads to tinker-itis, which Unity's found is a culprit for a lot of bug reports and a lot of ugly graphics.

However I believe they ought to at least expose everything possible via script so if we wanted to tweak we could without having to roll eyes, duplicate code and recode it... :)

fct509 and DGordon like this.
  13. LexBissonnette

LexBissonnette

I want to take screenshots of my game but now there is aliasing everywhere and I can't get rid of it.. -_-

14. BradZoob

BradZoob

Yeah "bizarre" is the wrong word choice, what i meant was "incomprehensible and hostile approach to feature development" :p

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If they don’t want us tweaking things, then they’d better have the most artifact free TAA in the history of TAA and it’s not really there yet.

16. DGordon

DGordon

I think its a horrible idea to base a feature being built in one of their SRPs upon the thought process of "they can roll their own SRP to change it anyway". That really just leads to poor design choices of the actual feature for the end-users who have to use it. I can't imagine building something for my boss and telling him "you can always hire someone to change it, and I'll get less bug reports this way". I don't doubt it made sense for UT as a company, however, it clearly was not a decision properly made with the end-user in mind. If tinkering is really causing that much of a problem ... just put it somewhere less accessible with a warning message box of "Hey, the defaults are really what you should use, only change this if you know what you are doing!" and have a reset to default button if they mess it up. If you _really_ want to make it blatantly obnoxious, put a checkbox that launches a popup with an okay button asking if you really want to change the default settings ... that ugliness is STILL better than not allowing them to be changed unless we do SRP stuff. Its really not that hard to give control over it, AND flag to the end-user that its a risky thing to change, AND give them an easy way to restore the defaults.

The way it was done either wasn't thought out very well, or it _was_ thought out very well, just not with the end-user as the target of the decision.

Either way its a problem. Mistakes are fine, and sometimes things really seem like a great idea until some time passes, but yeah ... its still a bizarre decision if you want to give your end-user the best tool possible :).

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah thankfully they're exposing more than ever.

DGordon likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there any insight of why the temporal AA effect resets after i disable and re enable a camera rendering to a rendertexture that has it ?

This creates black artifacts upon each initialize of the filter, is it possible to keep the state when camera is disabled and resume with next frame when reenabled ?

And +10000 to adding tweaking options to the filter, or the whole filter outside hdrp for full control.

19. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

20. DGordon

DGordon

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

it does ghost less by default but it also has additional speed rejection option so you can tweak how big movements will reject TAA's history (so no TAA for those pixels). No idea on the merge or if this is even going to main HDRP, there's no PR for it yet.

22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But better late than never. Several people I know are looking forward to this, particularly to suppress the streaking / trails. Haven't tried it but hoping it'll be similar perf as the old was was alright to use.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there a way to apply the AA after the image effects in HDRP image effect stack ?

I want to reduce artifacts in noise in some effects and would like to use the TAA of HDRP directly if possible

Thanks