Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

HDRP and dx12

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by kripto289, Nov 23, 2020.

1. kripto289

kripto289

One of the users of my assetstore package said that the effects are very slow. I decided to test HDRP with dx12 on gtx 1070 + ryzen 3600 + 32gb ram.

12123.png

113 fps with simple scene, WTF?

I just added standard particle system with 10k particles and I have 78 fps.

123123.png

Probably unity never tested HDRP?
    How do you think when unity make HDRP/URP obsolete?
    Is there at least 1 person who is in love with HDRP / URP? Because all assetstore developers will be happy to remove HDRP / URP.

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

It's always easier to complain about something when you don't really use it or know much about it. With that said HDRP is heavy in the editor so you will have to make a build to actually see how the project performs.

Usually, it's 2x what the editor shows and sometimes a lot more. So you will have to make a build, other than that you will also have to turn down some settings if it's not running the best on your hardware as you would do with any major game as they also use advanced rendered like HDRP. Performance for HDRP could be better but it's not terrible right now.

beeps2024 and Mauri like this.
  3. kripto289

kripto289

Rly? On my scene with 500k tris and 100 drawcalls (i9-9900K+RTX2070SUPER) It have 30-40 fps.
    In a more complex scene, I will have 10 fps. I wish you the best of luck creating a project with 10 fps in editor on a top computer.

ps In the build I have the same fps drop.

you are probably inadequate. With simple scene on i9-9900K+RTX2070SUPER it have 30 fps and its not a "terrible"?

StellarVeil, ftejada and Ruchir like this.
  4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

I have a weaker build than you and I don't get those low number unless I'm running the game view at 4k in the editor. I've even run scenes with raytracing effects enabled with better performance than what you have stated. My guess is something must be wrong somewhere on your end, which you might want to test and send a bug report if that's the case.

I'm using
    CPU - i7 4770k (4 cores 8 threads) really old CPU compare to what's available now
    GPU - GTX 1080
    32 GB of RAM - Maybe you don't have enough ram so perf suffers on your end?)

This is the HDRP Template Scene in Editor - Settings of everything unchanged except
    Quality Settings - High Quality and Vsync (Disabled/Don't Sync)
    Unity 2021.1 a6
    HDRP 10.1.0
    1080p running at 85 - 95fps in editor.
    Running an actual build, the performance would be much higher

This is a scene anyone can test as it comes with every new HDRP project from Unity 2020.2 forward.

You can compare the tris and batches in these screenshots to the numbers you mentioned as well as your hardware and you see what you're saying don't add up.

Task Manager
    GPU - Bottom Left
    CPU - Top Right

upload_2020-11-23_22-58-31.png

Also the worst part of the scene in terms of performance
    (Don't mind the lighting for the objects behind the glass, they seem to lose their Baked GI when I go into play mode)
    upload_2020-11-23_23-1-14.png

If I change the quality settings to Medium from High Vsync Disabled as well (This is just Lower settings on the HDRP Pipeline Asset)
    upload_2020-11-23_23-6-58.png

upload_2020-11-23_23-3-50.png

thoughtcipher and hippocoder like this.
  5. kripto289

kripto289

Which directx version you use?
    My results and results of another user on different versions are the same.

In any case you don't have an open world or something and with this simple scene you have 90fps on top gpu 1080 =/
    Tell me fps for example on gtx1060? Or 4k at 1070? What a minimum requirement for your simple project? gtx1080?
    I do not know which game have the same requirements =/

StellarVeil likes this.
  6. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

It's using DX11

As mentioned, this is a scene anyone can test. It comes default with Unity 2020.2 and up.

It also seems you're expecting magic here as well as shifting your argument. Currently, modern games don't run at 4k max settings and over 60fps on these cards. Unity wouldn't be delivering better exceptionally better than that.

thoughtcipher and hippocoder like this.
  7. kripto289

kripto289

topic name is "HDRP and dx12" :confused:

HDRP rendering look like standard rendering with some plugins (like a volumetric fog) and does not add any ultra-beautiful things. Instead, I get a performance drop several times.

43 fps with top gpu 1080 in this simple scene?

You will not distinguish this scene taken on standard rendering with few plugins like a soft screen space shadow or speed tree.

For example this demo looks better and have more fps.

or this phantastic realtime demo?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  8. Matjio

Matjio

Unity Technologies

Hi Kripto289,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Performances will also strongly depend on what full screen effects are active.
    In HDRP, we have default settings which setup post processing effects by default. It is a new paradigm for Unity, so if you are not aware of them, verify them in Edit>Project Settings>HDRP Default settings.

upload_2020-11-27_12-17-48.png

We have recently changed the default values to be more appropriate to console range hardware by default, as well as replaced the default template which was not ideally setup, with a new one mentioned above by Grimreaper358.

We are continuously working on performance and quality improvement, so I would really recommend using the 2020 version with HDRP 10.2 which is in Beta but we are getting close to release.

HDRP is radically different from built-in renderer with some plugins. It is entirely designed for advanced physically based rendering, with support for advanced physical materials (Lit, Layered Lit, Stacklit, sub surface scattering, anisotropy, tesselation, transluency, fabric, hair, refraction,...), advanced lighting features (Light layers, tinted shadows, high quality shadows, decals, advanced reflection and refraction probes blending modes, planar reflections,screen space reflections, transparency management,...), and post processing effects (Color grapding, depth of field,...).

The HDRP development team is very pasionnate, professional and dedicated and some users could get amazing results with HDRP. Give us a chance! ;)

Here are pretty nice results in ArchViz:

(and good enough performances to run HDRP in VR)

And really cool cinematics:

We are aware of issues on DX12 which is why it is still in preview. Some of them should be already improved in 2020.
    Others still need some work. The reason why it is taking time, is that in DX12 things which were optimized inside drivers in DX11 have to be implemented in Engine side, and with our broad range of platform and graphics API versions and devices support, it far from being an easy task.
    Note: Our real-time raytracing support is also partly still in preview for this reason.

We are very interested to get your feedback and welcome bugs submitted with "simple" reproduction scenes if you experience performance issues between DX11 and DX12.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  9. jjejj87

jjejj87

So far, my experience with DX12, is that it never meets DX11 performance and often breaks the Editor.

Ruchir likes this.
  10. kripto289

kripto289

Almost everything that you listed is in the standard rendering, and other can be added using assetstore. And it will be much faster.
    You do HDRP for demos, not for games.
    Game developers doesn't need half of these features. Did you ask what they need? What about the network code (UNET) which you removed? Or custom effects in HDRP? Or speed tree? Or shader documenations? Or compatibility with assets from assetstore? Or perfomance?

StellarVeil, ftejada and Ruchir like this.