Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP - Ambient light intensity?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by TchPowDog85, Dec 29, 2018.

1. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

Hey Guys,

I'm playing around with the new HDRP pipeline. I'm having trouble getting the result I want. In the legacy, or base, rendering pipeline, you could set the ambient(environment lighting) intensity. In the image, I have turned down the intensity of my directional light but notice how my shadows are still too harsh. I would like to turn down the shadow intensity and increase the ambient light intensity.

ETA: I know I can increase the exposure on the HDRI sky, but that just makes the sky box look unnatural.

How do I do this in HDRP?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

I got the result I wanted. I didn't set the Baked Sky to my HDRI sky. However, I would still like to adjust the "baked" intensity. How would one do that?

3. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Add an "Indirect Lighting Controller" component to your scene settings then you can adjust it further.
    upload_2018-12-29_15-25-15.png

MizhouDev, akent99 and Ne0mega like this.
  4. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

That's what I needed! Thanks. I'm finding HDRP to be pretty cool so far, but it's definitely an adjustment to what we're used to.

Grimreaper358 likes this.
  5. whidzee

whidzee

How did you get the skybox/skydome to work in HDRP? I've been strugglig to work it out .

6. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

Add a "Scene Settings" gameobject to your scene (GameObject > Rendering > Scene Settings). In that, under visual environment, change Sky Type to "HDRI Sky". Add a "HDRI Sky" component to the Scene Settings game object. You can not set the HDRI Sky .exr in that new component.

kpgbrink likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

HDRP is capable of "ground truth" rendering (approx) in our tests. We compared with raytraces and realise it can achieve all visuals possible, so it's really a matter of deciphering what might be the right way to achieve it - and a heck of a lot is trial and error. So the only tips I have is:

- it can be done!
    - how is up to you :D

8. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

In 2019.3, using an HDRI sky, I'm finding in my scene that everything in shadow renders as gray, and things like character eyes are just black. To get the color back, I can use physically based sky instead, but the eyes will still be black, and there is still some gray (eg, my dark blues turn pale gray).

What should I do to fix this?

9. Voodoocado

Voodoocado

I find that it is a delicate balance between
    * Directional light
    * Sky light
    * Indirect light

What makes it difficult is that the skylight affects the sky intensity, while also affecting the ambient light for the models - but only adds the sky color without taking the textures into account. So you can't set it too low, because the sky will be dark, and you can't set it too high because the models will be grey. If it was just possible to control those two effects separately... :confused: