Search Unity

HDRP advantages over URP?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by ridethefader, Feb 26, 2021.

1. ridethefader

ridethefader

My project is currently in URP because I was aiming for Switch/mobile platforms. That has changed and now Im aiming for PC/next gen consoles. I installed Lux URP which brings some nice shaders and volumetric lights to URP:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/lux-urp-essentials-150355

Just trying to figure out what else is missing from URP that HDRP has? Should I switch to HDRP if Im aiming for PC/PS5?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. bgolus

bgolus

Lux is great. That looks like it adds a nice long bullet pointed list of features that the URP is missing compared to the HDRP.

But the difference between the HDRP and URP is more significant than a simple list of features.

Lux and HDRP add volumetric fog. Lux is doing it as basically unlit soft shapes that float in space. HDRP is doing it in a way that integrates with all of the lighting systems so it looks much more realistic.

Lux and HDRP add skin shading. Lux is doing it with a technique that's now 15 years old and wonderfully inexpensive for the quality it achieves. HDRP is doing it by simulating light bouncing within a surface in real time.

etc.

Basically, Lux is adding a feature using an older, but still perfectly good way of doing it that's been around for a while. It's a great balance of rendering cost to visual improvement. Almost everything it's doing should work perfectly fine even on older or lower end platforms.

HDRP is implementing the bleeding edge version of these techniques. They look way more realistic, but also require cutting edge desktop GPUs or consoles.

cm, FlightOfOne and NotaNaN like this.
  3. ridethefader

ridethefader

Hey this is a great explanation. Thank you. So, if my game is a very lighting focused game, and Im going for the best looking game possible, would you recommend switching to HDRP? Though the plan is to release on Switch in the end, so optimizing an HDRP game for Switch sounds like a nightmare, where URP would mitigate that. Any insight here?

NotaNaN likes this.
  4. bgolus

bgolus