Search Unity

Question HDRP 9.0.0 preview 33 SSGI

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by jjejj87, Jul 2, 2020.

1. jjejj87

jjejj87

Has anyone figured out how to enable it? I've tried to look into it, but can't figure it out.

2. jjejj87

jjejj87

nvm, found it.

3. Camarent

Camarent

Is hdrp 9.0 working with 2020.1 or 2020.2?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  4. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I got SSGI installed with the latest Alpha. You need to enable preview packages in the project settings. Now there is a boolean for SSGI in the HDRP asset. The effect can be found in the Global Volume. Nevertheless it does not do anything at the moment. Could not see any GI effect at all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  5. jjejj87

jjejj87

You have to enable custom frames in your camera and then enable Screen Space Global Illumination under Rendering. For some reason, changing the HDRP settings does not reflect. It will probably get fixed soon so I am not too worried.

However, I am worried about the quality of SSGI...I know it is meant to be early and that it is a SS effect, but it is disappointing. It is just bad looking....I hope the devs are aware and are working on many improvements...I will wait another month for evaluation.

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  6. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Thank you. It was indeed disabled in the default Frame Settings. Same goes for the Probes.

Well, you're right about the current quality of the SSGI effect. Even with High Quality settings, it's too noisy. In fact it's as noisy as hardware ray tracing GI, unusable for pleasuring graphics. It should be doable to get decent SSGI if you compare it to the quality of Unreal's SSGI (almost no noise) already achieved.

Attached Files:

jjejj87 likes this.
  7. jjejj87

jjejj87

If I am not mistaken, Unreal Engine 5's Lumen, while it still needs to be released, is a combination of 3 techniques.

1) Voxel Cone Traced GI to obtain large object GI (that would be VXGI or SEGI etc)
    2) SDF based GI for medium sized objects
    3) SSGI for small sized objects

Assuming that Unity has realized raytracing GI is far from practical uses for the next 3~5 years, they will hopefully implement something similar to UE5 - combining multiple techniques to achieve good looking GI. In that light, pun intended, I am hoping this SSGI implementation is the first step towards that combined effort.

8. jjejj87

jjejj87

both.

9. newguy123

newguy123

I'm on 2020.2 and have preview packages enabled in project settings, but I dont see anything above 8.1.0
    any ideas?

10. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

It's hidden under the "All versions" options for each package in the list.

11. newguy123

newguy123

Ah, thanks, that works

The UI for this has changed so much over the past 2 years, its hard to keep track of where they expect you to find things

12. jjejj87

jjejj87

package manager UI design has been steering into a strange direction ever since...

13. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Well, for the current state of SSGI, it's better to be hidden deeply in package manager. ;)
    I'm curious to see an update of information about the new Realtime GI system. Hardware raytracing and SSGI does not satisfy with the graphical results, too noisy. I hope they will implement the technique used in CryEngine.