Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP 4.0.0

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Sashok9203, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Sashok9203

Sashok9203

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi. Our goal is to release this version today (it requires 2018.3b3). If you download this beta you should be able to clone the git version instead of waiting.

Nothke and elbows like this.
  4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

While Unity is really close on releasing 4.0.0, what github changelog says on master isn't same as their releases. In this case it's really close to what they'll release (hopefully today) but for reference, they've had 4.0.0 marking (and 3.4.0) before this for a long time already.

That marking from github master is there only to indicate the feats and changes will be on that release eventually (and even that can change) - if it's on master it's WIP.

You can see actual releases here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/releases

5. Sashok9203

Sashok9203

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
    I'm using Unity 2018.2.10.
    I'll try copying HDRP from github.
    Another question. Where did I read about Mash decal. What is this?
    And what to do with the shaders for the particle system that the HDRP does not support? Wait for the Visual Effects Editor?Or is it possible to use ShaderGraph for these purposes?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You can't use 4.0.0-preview on 2018.2 (you need latest 2018.3 beta for that), stick to 2.0.x if you use 2018.2.

7. Nothke

Nothke

Mesh decals are just meshes with decal shader material on them (HDRPRenderPipeline/Decal). What they do is they use albedo/normal/smoothness etc. maps to influence the materials behind them, just like decal projectors, but they can be any shape. They have been working since the first version of HDRP afaik. For example, I'm using mesh decal material on the tire tracks in Trails of Tenere to make them 'print' only normals onto the terrain.

As far as I have heard (from an inside source, person not related to HDRP however), VFX graph is only going to be for GPU based particles, there are some things that won't work with it that shuriken supports, like collisions, so it doesn't seem that shuriken is going to be 'replaced' by VFX graph. I don't understand the reason why there is no particle shader either. In Trails of Tenere I am using the Lit material for particles, unfortunately, it doesn't support vertex color for alpha. so right now I'm using animated sprites with fading out sprites (my particles are animated anyway).

Even worse, making your own shader with graph is not an option either because it doesn't have options for alpha influencing specular for example, and loads of other options that exist in Lit shader but are not available in graph (yet)

I would also love someone from Unity who is dealing with HDRP to reason this too.

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Nothke likes this.
  9. imaewyn

imaewyn

Anyone will trying test raytrace system? Not lightmapper, realtime raytrace

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

11. jjejj87

jjejj87

Tim, just wanted to say that you guys rock. I check the HDRP github change log and the Pull requests every few days and every time I go in, I am impressed at the team's pace and progress. I really hope by the end of 2019, Unity HDRP will be known for its advanced rendering.

12. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Thanks. :) HDRP is mostly Seb + the paris team and they are doing great work. My group is doing core SRP API + LWRP. We do help each other out where we can though.

4.0.0-preview should now be available in package manager. You need Unity 2018.3.0b3 though ;)

Nothke likes this.
  13. Nothke

Nothke

Wooohoo! Terrain shaders here we go! :) Thanks!

14. Sashok9203

Sashok9203

-
    That's bad ... Developers need to think about it..Without effects it is impossible.
    Ok.I understood.
    I think it's worth communicating this in the changelog, that there would not be any unnecessary questions.

15. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I do think there should be a mention at point where next SRP version requires new engine version and I guess there could be mention of min engine for each but it would bloat the changelog somewhat.

The thing is, this really isn't an issue for people using SRP through package manager as it should automatically only suggest you versions that work with your currently opened editor.

If you are curious about the min engine version of specific SRP version you can check it out yourself too, for example this line shows 4.0.0-preview HDRP's min Unity version:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...der-pipelines.high-definition/package.json#L5

hippocoder likes this.
  16. Arnklit

Arnklit

Hmm I'm still not seing any PCSS shadows, using the new Beta and the latest HDRP from github. I thought I saw commits about that being made ready, but I guess I must have misunderstood.

17. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You need to change the shadows from Low to High on HDRP Asset and run HDRP in forward only atm for PCSS to work.

18. Arnklit

Arnklit

Where is the option to change shadows from low to high? I don't see that, and I'm still not seeing the option after setting forward only, so I'm guessing I'm missing for high shadow thing.

EDIT: Sorry found it now.

EDIT2: Looks sexy as hell :D

19. Sashok9203

Sashok9203

I agree, but Addressable Assets also does not appear in the Manager Package until an entry is made to the manifest file.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'll assume it's still in staging then. That sounds normal for me Until such a time Unity wants it to go wider.

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This has been how Unity has dealt with experimental things in past, they may put them on npm server but you'll not see them in the list unless you manually add them (same happened with entities, burst, mathematics etc before).

it's in default unity npm server but they just haven't exposed the package by default (need to add the addressables manually to the manifest but doesn't require adding staging registry).

hippocoder likes this.