Search Unity

Feedback HDRP 2022.2.17f1 is using full GPU power, even in empty scene.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Spikebor, May 26, 2023.

1. Spikebor

Spikebor

HDRP 2022.2.17f1 is using my full GPU's power, even in empty scene.
    This is not good for my electric bill.
    This thread may be so empty because it's not like I have anything more to say, but this regression is huge though. Hope you guys can address this.

upload_2023-5-27_1-23-2.png

2. cLick1338

cLick1338

Get RivaTuner Statistics Server, add Unity.exe to it, turn OSD support off and set the framerate limit to whatever you like. That will keep GPU usage down.

I'm pretty sure it's expected behaviour that the GPU goes full throttle to generate as many frames as it can. Otherwise you'd see thousands of people complaining that Unity only gets [their monitor refresh rate] FPS in an empty scene.

Spikebor likes this.
  3. Spikebor

Spikebor

Thanks for the reply, I get that idea, that sound reasonable that the default behaviour is to make GPU go full mode to get to max framerate. But I then open an URP project and with unlimited framerate is set, it still doesn't throttle my GPU like HDRP did. Or it is different for DX12 RT? Although I set the preference to use RT, but I actually does not setup any RT in the empty scene and HDRP global settings.

upload_2023-5-27_10-34-58.png

4. Spikebor

Spikebor

Back to the HDRP project, do more testing.
    And yes, the limiting framerate really helps.
    GPU memory usage is still unfairly high (5000) for limited 60fps compared to the 810 in URP (no limit)

upload_2023-5-27_13-6-37.png

5. PutridEx

PutridEx

memory doesn't care about FPS, simply what's loaded in. HDRP has a lot more features, you can try disabling them in your HDRP asset, otherwise they will load up.

GPU usage will always be 100% uncapped, unless the CPU is a bottleneck.
    Since even if it's an empty scene, it will just run as fast as possible until it reaches full usage, hence you need to limit FPS if you want lower usage.

This isn't an HDRP thing, it goes for all games/engines.

Spikebor and m0nsky like this.
  6. Spikebor

Spikebor

Thank you.