Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP 2021.2 Grass Texture?

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by berkuslu97, Apr 18, 2021.

1. berkuslu97

berkuslu97

Hi!

We were using URP for our game because our game is a Survival game in a forest so we have to use lots of grass. Since Grass Textures came to HDRP we want to upgrade our project to HDRP but we couldn't find how to use Grass Textures!

upload_2021-4-19_0-25-30.png upload_2021-4-19_0-26-29.png

benowner21 likes this.
  2. berkuslu97

berkuslu97

Anyone?

3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Look at the error message in your screenshot :p

Compatible and improved detail rendering was said to come in a later HDRP version

4. berkuslu97

berkuslu97

upload_2021-4-22_12-47-26.png

On the roadmap site they say they released Grass Textures. Don't get me wrong but if there is no Grass Textures on HDRP's latest version currently i am using 2021.2.014a why it is in released tab. I just wanna use something like URP's grass texture. Because i think URP's Grass Texture performance is better than HDRP's detailed mesh grass but not sure tho.

AntonioModer and Deleted User like this.
  5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The wording isn't exactly clear on this, but I think they mean they've added support for detail meshes with custom materials. Previously, the built-in detail shader was always forced on them. So this would still exclude detail textures (the auto-generated plane meshes).

So to use your grass billboard textures, you'd have to make a grass mesh, create materials for it, and create the prefabs. Which could just be a few crossed planes sharing the same UV space:
    upload_2021-4-22_12-26-18.png

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  6. Wolfos

Wolfos

It works with Nature Renderer + Nature Shaders, but there isn't a built-in shader for it. Frankly you can't really use grass without Nature Renderer anyway. The built-in system blocks the main thread to generate the grass chunks.

PutridEx likes this.
  7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

wow

8. jRocket

jRocket

The fact that the built-in system is terrible is no excuse to have had no way to do grass in HDRP all this time. There should have been compatible shaders from the beginning.

BrandyStarbrite and jc2 like this.
  9. berkuslu97

berkuslu97

i couldn't agree more

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  10. berkuslu97

berkuslu97

thanks for advice.

btw we just started using your terrain painter and it is amazing. Thanks for publishing that.

11. Matjio

Matjio

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Indeed, only terrain details support has been added for HDRP (should be available since 2021.2 Alpha 1), and not the specific "grass texture" detail as the title might suggest.

As explained in the description, grass is expected to be handled via the instanced mesh detail and ShaderGraph, which we think is much more flexible with good performance on most platforms. We plan to provide grass instanced detailed mesh samples in an upcoming release of our terrain tools samples.

Sorry for the confusion. I have now updated the card title and description on the roadmap.

12. berkuslu97

berkuslu97

Thanks for clarification!

Matjio likes this.
  13. valarnur

valarnur

Could you backport grass to 2020LTS? It would extremely helpful to continue project rather than having it on 2021 alpha updates.

14. berkuslu97

berkuslu97

Yeah I tried to backport 2020 LTS but because of new versions of HDRP its so much work to get back. Also we are using so many features from 2021. Just hoping that they finish 2021 Alpha quickly or release more stable versions

15. thephox1982

thephox1982

2021 LTS lacks this feature as well.. Unity is really falling behind, it's sad.
    Can't even get basic grass right, come on people!

16. Wolfos

Wolfos

It's supported grass meshes for a while now, just not grass textures which are unoptimized and look worse. If you need an example, there's a demo scene on the asset store:
    Unity Terrain - HDRP Demo Scene | 3D Environments | Unity Asset Store

I wouldn't hold my breath on them supporting grass textures in the newer pipelines. It's just an unnecessary legacy feature.

17. tgaldi

tgaldi

Detail distance for grass meshes only seems to work up to 34 meters - is this a known limitation? If so, grass textures would be useful for adding grass further out.

2021.3.8f1

18. Stardog

Stardog

Still waiting.

19. Wolfos

Wolfos

Probably an issue in the shader you're using. The example grass shader for instance has a fade property on the material, which will also control visibility at a distance.
    I have no issue rendering grass at whatever distance.
    It's unlikely to happen. Grass textures were never a good thing to use. Check out the terrain demo to see how grass should work in HDRP:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/unity-terrain-hdrp-demo-scene-213198

20. jRocket

jRocket

Then why does the UI for it exist?