Search Unity

HDR without effect ?

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by Gaspedal, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

I have enabled HDR in camera settings but I can't see an HDR effect. I get only low frames after enabling HDR. I have disabled DOF, Bloom and color correction but the same problem.
    Have I forgotten anything?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. aubergine

aubergine

same here.

3. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

All enabling HDR on the camera does is allow the use of a floating point render target. You need to add post processes to achieve tone mapping, bloom and other effects. So what you are doing is rendering to a more expensive buffer (hence the lower frame rates) but not using the extra precision / details. Please download the pro example project from the preview page and have a look at how the camera / game is set up there. Also make sure you read the documentation on HDR in unity.

4. maart

maart

is the pro example project from the preview page the samme as the angry bots demo or am I missing something here?

..nevermind... got them

5. Wolfos

Wolfos

But what does HDR do? I can have tone mapping without enabling HDR and it works fine.

6. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

This is why UT was hesitant to add HDR to unity for so long. HDR = High Dynamic Range. All it means is the scene is rendered in high precision color (higher than what your monitor can display). It does not mean the light will automatically shift/change/bloom/look-better in any way. In order to make use of the higher precision scene output you need to use post processing effects that are written specifically to take advantage of that.

What it does do, in the case of tone-mapping, is provide much smoother lighting when you adjust the exposure constants because you're no longer skewing a 24bit color value of (255,255,255) possible values, you're now working with, I'm guessing ARGBHalf (haven't installed 3.5 yet, this could be wrong), which would be like a 48bit color range (4096, 4096, 4096) possible values?

I probably have the number wrong, but that's the basic idea.

7. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

HDR is a range not an "effect"