Search Unity

HDR Tonemapper screen goes black?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bluemoon, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon

I just upgraded to Unity pro so I'm testing out the pro rendering features, but I'm running into a problem with HDR and the tonemapping image effect.

I've setup a simple scene. A terrain, one directional light, the simple first person controller. I added the bloom image effect and then tonemapping. In every mode except Adaptive Reinhard, and Reinhard auto white, everything works fine. but in those two modes in a few frames the screen goes black.

I'm also in liner rendering and dx11 mode if that matters.

Thanks in advance

2. Wolfos

Wolfos

It does that, yes. Tonemapping isn't meant for every scene. It generally works well in well-lit scenes, but in a dark environment it'll often turn entirely black. Editing settings is almost always necessary.

It's a difficult effect to configure.

3. MitchL

MitchL

Actually, I'm seeing this as well, and on scenes that used to work fine with it. I just started to see it after I updated Unity to 4.2.1.

It could be unrelated to the update, but it definitely seems like there's something up. I'm seeing it across multiple projects and scenes, and it happens regardless of what the settings are at.

4. MitchL

MitchL

Hmm, seems to be a direct 3D 11 issue. I switched that off and it started to work fine.

May wanna give that a shot, bluemoon.

5. bluemoon

bluemoon

Due to some of my shaders I can't turn off Dx11 but I found that turning liner lighting mode off has fixed the problem. I even went back and tested some crazy extreme light setting and tonemapper settings and with Liner lighting off I've had no issues. I'll try some scenes with liner lighting back on and dx11 off and see what happens.

6. bluemoon

bluemoon

Ok well it turns out that turning off liner lighting did not fix the problem. But Turning Dx11 off As you Suggested has fixed things.

Thanks.

7. Cambesa

Cambesa

I know this post is old but I'm stuck with the same problem.

Is there any way to trace the error so you can reset the system when the error occurs? I've got the same problem but I really want to use tesselation so turning off DX11 is not an option.

The error happens when using hdr/tonemapping and looking down in my water. It is using refraction/distortion, fresnel and a color for deep water levels. So you can see the ground when you're at a shallow part of the water but at deep parts you see a dark blue color. Once you look at the dark blue color for a while the screen turns black and there's no way out of it. There's no DX11 update available so they didn't solve it. It might also be a problem in unity but I can't find any leads to hunt the problem down.

I hope someone can help me out,

Thanks in advance

8. bluemoon

bluemoon

I still haven't found any solution to this but I've been slowly learning how to write my own screen space effects. I am considering making my own tonemapper. If I do I'll put it up free on the asset store.

9. Cambesa

Cambesa

I was thinking of an easy way to make that tonemapper. First combine the rendered screen to 1x1 pixel, experiment with filtering options. Then slowely increase or decrease the tone over time(optional curve) to match a pre-set or dynamic color. That way you can even tonemap multiple channels like add more red or blue etc. For more basic tone mapping, desaturate the pixel(maybe combine to 1 color channel) and try to match a gray tint. It might work but I'm not sure wether it would look nice, I have yet to experiment with it. Finally apply the new tone to the non-combined rendered screen and output that screen

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  10. Poupi

Poupi

We have the same issue here, and we can't turn DirectX11 off.
    This is really annoying as it seems to be triggered by some specific shaders, but there's no 'obvious' function used that could broke the tonemapper.

I can't find any answer from Unity to this issue, if some shader-guru from UT could help up this would be awesome !

I've uploaded a test project here : https://mega.co.nz/#!G59gzTSZ!F6zYxA8wA5dSD8edib21zvG0BgnDFjl_Xc0TATrEHfo

Thanks in advance !

11. Jaqal

Jaqal

Having this same problem guys. Just started out of nowhere and is very annoying. It will work fine until I walk into a shadow or darker area and then the entire screen goes black and stays that way until I turn it off completely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. PolygonFormation

PolygonFormation

Same problem here, never happen with photographic or simple reinhard, but with adaptive reinhard ! (using U5.0.0f4)

13. hoesterey

hoesterey

Same problem!

14. HaBe

HaBe

Had the same problem, in my case it was the order of image effects. Make sure that the tonemapping effect comes after the antialiasing image effect, in my case that fixed it. But it only seems to work with DLAA, all other AA modes stay black. :/

Jaqal likes this.
  15. refardeon

refardeon

In my case, using a particle system with the shader Particles/Alpha Blended was the culprit. Changing it to another shader (mobile) helped.

My offending particle system is used to display ejected shells; the error would happen randomly after a couple of shells were ejected. Platform is mobile/iOS. Not sure what the underlying issue is though.

16. Tinovdk

Tinovdk

I'm having the same issue here. In one scene it happens occasionally, and in another it happens nearly all the time. I'll try some of the proposed fixes in this thread but for the time being, consider this a bump. ^^

17. razielanarki

razielanarki

same here, i have a scene with adaptive tonemapping, ano on my notebook's GF820M it goes black pretty randomly (i think), but on my desktop GF750GTX everything is fine all the time in the same scene.

can't figure out what's the cause.

18. ForrestX

ForrestX

Same here... another Unity bug added to the infinite List...

19. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

I'm having the same issue here,anyone know how to fix this?

20. bluemoon

bluemoon

21. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

22. Brocan

Brocan

Same problem, simple scene: directional light, sky, terrain and few assets. The tonemapper in adaptative reinhard goes black. If i disable the terrain, then the tonemapper works right. No idea about the problem.