Search Unity

HDR Textures in Unity only as RGBM?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by OlliQueck, Sep 26, 2016.

1. OlliQueck

OlliQueck

Is it possible to use full float 32 bit textures in unity as they are? As far as i'm aware unity can only handle HDR Textures encoded as RGBM. But isn't a RGBM encoded texture just some kind of 8 bit Texture with it's alpha channel used in a special way? There is no real extra information in the texture is there?
    I'm working on a Tesselation Shader which needs a very detailed Heightmap and i'm not sure if RGBM is the right approach for that. In my mind it's just a little more information per pixel then a standard 8 bit texture has... so why not use only the red channel and use blue, green and alpha like the Multiplier channel from RGBM textures? To get some kind of RMMM - Texture? i would have to encode them on my own but they would be more precise right?

best regards

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

You can use the channels how ever you like, you can save what ever data you need into a texture and decode it in the shader. Its just that unity does hot have a automated build in way to generate it for you. But you can do the conversion yourself.
    ( im not a export in shader coding and do not know if there are any other limitations that could hinder this approach)

3. OlliQueck

OlliQueck

i just did that. Built my own encoder that combines 4 heightmaps in one map with each channel(rgba) used for a specific range. Shader decodes it and it works nicely. But i'm still not sure if this is the best approach or if i could just use a texture with a higher bitrate somehow. like a real 32 bit full float texture.