Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

HDR support talked @Unite Austin support coming in 2017.3?

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by oscargar, Oct 6, 2017.

1. oscargar

oscargar

Hi,
    I see at Unite:

Advanced Rendering in Unity: Dynamic Resolution and HDR
    Give your game the smooth framerate and vibrant, deep colors it deserves with dynamic resolution and high-dynamic range (HDR) support.

Questions:
    coming on 2017.3? or 2018.1?
    is HDR only coming for Xbox first or will come also to Windows apps? UWP or classic?..

I posted here because dynamic resolution seems is part of 2017.3 beta..

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

3. ArthurT

ArthurT

Currently the Dynamic Resolution is for Xbox One only, but will open up for other platforms as it progresses.

4. Charles_Sanglimsuwan

Charles_Sanglimsuwan

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone! I was one of the co-speakers at that talk.

Yes, Dynamic Resolution is arriving on Xbox One XDK games first in 2017.3, and arriving on other platforms later (no specific release times yet). UWP is going to be one of the first PC targets since it is also in the Xbox family. Generally speaking, non-explicit graphics API platforms like OpenGL and DX11 are currently the limiter for aliasing render targets to the same memory allocation, but collectively we are exploring ways to solve this. Beyond that, no other news to share at this time.

HDR is already available now for both XB1 and PS4.

Good feedback. We'll get that updated as soon as we can.

5. oscargar

oscargar

nice thanks..
    nice to hear dynamic res is coming to UWP PC apps hope same fate for HDR..

6. Pithos

Pithos

I went to that talk at Unite and specifically asked the question at the end... What about HDR output on PC? The answer was basically that they didn't have anything to announce at this time - there was no scheduled timeframe. Given that it's working on PS4 and Xbox One now, I have to wonder what the issue is. I know the PC monitor support is still fairly weak - but it's out there, becoming more common, and worst case, you can always hook up your video card to a TV that supports it. Not that I'd switch, but... Amazon, with Lumberyard was showing off their PC HDR output support at GDC'16, over a year and a half ago.

Why can't we have HDR support on Windows?

7. Charles_Sanglimsuwan

Charles_Sanglimsuwan

Unity Technologies

Thanks for attending and the great question!

We want to make HDR broadly available on as many platforms as possible, and Windows is certainly one of them. Here's a quick look at just some of our challenges:
    • For Windows 10, HDR10 was actually only added in the Windows 10 Creators Update. You'll also need the right combination of specific video cards, drivers, and display.
    • For Windows 7 - 8.1, we would need to work with IHVs like NVIDIA and AMD, as they each have different, custom low-level APIs for HDR10 output.
    And of course, we want to make sure we expose this in an easy, straight-forward way for our users that makes sense across multiple platforms. Thankfully, with HDR monitors becoming increasingly available, we already have some work underway with this target in mind.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. Pithos

Pithos

Thank you for the reply (and the talk). Robustly supporting all the different combinations of video card vendor and operating system version certainly is something to be desired and an understandable challenge compared to the relative simplicity of a console where there's very little variation. With "work underway", I hope we'll get to see something in the not too distant future.

Charles_Sanglimsuwan likes this.
  9. Elecman

Elecman

10. Pithos

Pithos

You have my votes. :)

11. FPires

FPires

Do you have an ETA for HDR on Windows? I've been waiting for deep color to become a thing in games for a while now.