Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter the 2020.2 Beta Sweepstakes for a chance to win an Oculus Quest 2.
    Dismiss Notice

HDR Raytraced Refelctions

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by fra3point, Sep 10, 2020.

1. fra3point

fra3point

Hello, everyone!

In these days I'm experimenting the Raytracing system, but I can't get HDR raytraced reflections... Is this a known limitation of the system or am I missing something?

Look at the following screenshot: as you can see the headlights are very emissive, but the reflections aren't bright at all.

upload_2020-9-10_9-53-26.png

Planar reflections (mirrors) seem to have the same issue, but only if RayTracing is enabled in Screen Space Reflection:

upload_2020-9-10_10-1-28.png

I'm on a Nvidia GeForce 1080, maybe it's just the raytracing fallback for non-RTX cards?
    Did anyone succeded to get HDR raytraced reflection?

Edit: the option Clamp can be used to allow pre-exposed colors to be reflected, but it is limited to 10. In my case, it wasn't enough...

Thanks,
    Francesco

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. Lex4art

Lex4art

Probably the best way is to use actual light source - area or spot light - it should have unclamped highlight range.
    Upd: sorry for messy reply, it was about "if you're using emissive textures as the light sources it will be better to use actual light's instead because texture lighting range is clamped".

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    fra3point likes this.
  3. fra3point

fra3point

Thanks for the answer!

4. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

stuksgens and fra3point like this.
  5. fra3point

fra3point

Thank you, this is a solid solution!