Search Unity

HDR Output

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by jasonmhoy, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jasonmhoy

jasonmhoy

Is there a way to enable HDR output (no tonemapping) in Unity ? I would like to display my HDR textures "as is" to an HDR10 TV. For example, in Unreal I can enable HDR output in the console with : r.HDR.EnableHDROutput 1

It would be nice to have Unity use floating point back buffer and disable any tonemapping. I can do it in straight DirectX 10 so there must be a way in Unity.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

3. jasonmhoy

jasonmhoy

Thanks I saw that, so I guess that is still the answer. Unreal has it and I can do it via DirectX 10/11 so I am not sure why it can't be at least 'beta' tested by some of us :)

For those curious to play with it in DirectX nVidia has a nice utility called HDRDisplay with source!

4. blaher

blaher

hmmm.. I find it odd that HDR10 and dolby vision has become so mainstream on displays, especially the tv market and unity still hasn't sorted out hardware HDR output? Not even on on the roadmap? All I can find are older posts about it and vague statements about them considering adding it. Have I missed something?

5. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

It's been 2 years since the thread up there and still no trace or even a hint about HDR output support for Unity.
    Since Unity for PS4 and XBO has it, Unity clearly has already built support for it in some way.
    We already know windows 7 and windows 8 doesn't have native support for HDR10.
    Well, that's not a problem: make it a minimum spec for HDR to have windows 10 and that's all!
    There is even a Vesa certification for HDR on PC for more than a year now.
    What's the problem?

knxrb likes this.
  6. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

For the record, since Unity 2020.1 there is in fact a way to use HDR output in Unity!
    see HDROutputSettings

chrischameleon likes this.