Search Unity

HDR ASTC for reflections

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Cerberus_team, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Cerberus_team

Cerberus_team

Can we use ASTC HDR 6x6 block for reflections?

Everytime i compress an EXR with convolution type to Specular reflections the cubemap ends up all washed out. And the sRGB checkbox doesn't seem to do anything.

If the convolution type is set to none and i use the cubemap has a skybox everything looks fine.

Is this intended or is it a bug?

2. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

The format for reflection probes depends on “Lightmap Encoding” dropdown in PlayerSettings.
    You can also use platform override in TextureImporter. The HDR encoding is implicitly changed with the override format.

3. Cerberus_team

Cerberus_team

I know, but what i am saying is the EXR don't look the same with convolution type set to specular reflections.

If convolution is set to none you get the same colorful image, but if you set it to specular reflections it doesn't look the same.
    ASTC HDR.png

Lightmap Encoding is already set to High Quality, the sRGB flag doesn't do anything either.

4. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

This looks like a bug. Can you please report one? The results should look pretty much identical for RGBA Half, ASTC HDR, BC6H, RGB9e5.

5. Cerberus_team

Cerberus_team

6. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

7. Cerberus_team

Cerberus_team

I wasn't sure so i entered them both, i was to lazy for repro project i ll make sure to had one next time.

8. alexvector

alexvector

I just experienced the same issue with our ReflectionProbes in our project. When we set the player settings to use high quality lightmap encoding, ReflectionProbes end up using ASTC HDR and the result is washed out.

Does anybody know a workaround for this? (apart from reverting lighmap encoding to normal)

Manually changing the cubemap texture format to a non HDR format after the lightmap have been calculated seems to work. But of course this needs to be done every time we recompute the lighting so I would need to script this...

9. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

The fix for this will be in Unity 2020.1.1 and 2019.4.6

alexvector likes this.
  10. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

Our QA found that the issue is still reproducible in 2020.1.1 pre-release build that has the fix. So far we have not figured out why that is the case and I cannot reproduce it. So there is a chance that this will *not* be fixed in 2020.1.1.

11. Cerberus_team

Cerberus_team

Should be fixed in 2019.4.6f1, from the release notes:
    • Graphics: Fixed an incorrect cubemap convolution of ASTC HDR cubemaps. (1256696)