Search Unity

Hdg Remote Debug - Live update / inspector for your phone!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by samizzo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. samizzo

samizzo

I'm sorry, there's no demo. I use it myself in 2018 but I haven't tested it in 2019 yet. I've been swamped with work so I haven't had a chance to update it. If you can wait a couple of days I'll do some tests and upload a new build from a wider variety of Unity versions.

Cheers,
    Sam

m4d likes this.
  2. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Hi, does this work on 'standalone' PC/Mac/Linux builds or only on mobile ? thanks

3. samizzo

samizzo

Yes, it works on standalone builds as well across PC/Mac/Linux. I mentioned I would be doing an update soon back in May - that hasn't happened yet due to personal issues but the latest build available in the store should work. If there are any issues let me know.

Cheers,
    Sam

4. nukeustwo

nukeustwo

Hey, just wanted to say I've started using this tool at work and it has been super useful + stable and easy to use, fantastic stuff, I actually got a week into writing my own to do exactly the same thing until I had enough presence of mind to google for an existing asset before I got too far in and I'm so glad I did! Great work peeps

5. samizzo

samizzo

Thank you very much for your kind words! Feel free to leave a review on the store as well - that also helps!

Cheers,
    Sam

6. David-Jia

David-Jia

Thanks for development this great tool, it has saved me a lot of time.

In our project, we use DontDestroyOnLoad heavily, and we use assembly definition. We do not want to include the Hdg Remote Debug in our main assembly, just use code in special macro to start the Hdg Remote Debug server.

I have read the discuss about DontDestroyOnLoad before. I also bought the NG Tools Pro which could see the DontDestroyOnLoad gameobject in remote. I decompile the code and find it implement this feature like this(maybe):

1. Get all gameobject by SceneManager as list1;
    2. Get all gameobject by Object.FindObjectsOfType<GameObject>() as list2;
    3. Find the gameobject without parent in list2 but not in list1. These gameobjects are DontDestroyOnLoad gameobjects.

There are some details need to be processed. Do you think it is a good solution?
    And could you implement it in Hdg Remote Debug? Or tell me how to extend the Hdg Remote Debug to implement it by myself?

Thank you.

7. samizzo

samizzo

Interesting! It could be a bit of a performance hit especially if there are a lot of objects, but there is already a performance hit anyway because I have to iterate all objects so maybe it won't be a problem. I will look into that in the coming weeks (I just started a new job and have a lot on at the moment). There is no way for you to do that yourself unfortunately so I'll have to implement it. I'm planning on releasing the full source to Hdg Remote Debug with the package soon though so after that you'd be able to tweak things.

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
    Sam

8. unknown17771

unknown17771

can we use it on the console platform?

9. samizzo

samizzo

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't tested Remote Debug on console platforms as I don't currently have access! But I'm happy to refund you if you buy it and it doesn't work and you want your money back.

Thanks,
    Sam

10. tylkomat

tylkomat

My app on iPhone crashes when I try to debug an element which has a TextMeshPro text component attached to it.

All other items in the hierarchy work fine, but when I click on an item with a TextMeshPro component attached to it the debug window does not update anymore and after some time (maybe 30 seconds) the app crashes on the phone.

11. samizzo

samizzo

Thanks for the report! I'm sorry it crashes for you. I'll take a look asap, but it may not be until after the weekend before I can get you a new build with a fix.

Thanks,
    Sam

tylkomat likes this.
  12. tylkomat

tylkomat

Great. We are using Unity 2019.4.3 if that is important and TextMeshPro 2.0.1 which is bundled with that I think.

13. samizzo

samizzo

Thanks for the info! That will be useful!

14. samizzo

samizzo

Sorry for the late reply - work has been hectic! I've tracked down the bug and fixed it. I'll get a package for you tomorrow to unblock you and then upload a new build to the store.

Thanks,
    Sam

tylkomat likes this.
  15. WarpBubble

WarpBubble

Hello! I'm having trouble using Remote Debug on an Android tablet.. it's a BlackView Tab 9 running Android 10. When running on the device I get the error message "Failed to listen to server port (Access Denied)". The exact same project built to my Samsung S20 FE works just fine with no alteration. I've tried changing ports, and tried manually adding <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" /> to the AndroidManifest.xml, but no luck.

Any ideas? Cheers!

Edit: Some additional info... I tried enabling the RemoteDebugServer GameObject a few seconds after launch and got an additional error message...

"Couldn't broadcast hello message: Access Denied System.Net.Sockets.SocketException"

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  16. samizzo

samizzo

Hello, sorry you're having troubles! Usually that exception means you don't have the right permissions, but you mentioned you've added the internet permission to your manifest.

So using the exact same .apk fails on one device but works on the other? As a first step I would extract the manifest from the .apk to double check that it's correct and Unity hasn't done something silly like fail to merge it in or something.

Thanks,
    Sam

17. jimmying

jimmying

Hey @samizzo are there any known issues regarding the asset being used with PlayMaker?

Am getting a crash on device when selecting a gameObject that has a PlayMaker FSM component attached.

Details:
    - Crash happening on Samsung S10 on Android 11
    - Unity 2020.3.38f1, using latest HDG Remote Debug (2.6 i think)
    - When testing in editor, it shows as a stack overflow exception (log attached below)

Let me know if you need further info.

For the time being, is there a workaround like just ignoring the problematic component just so I can view the other components? I don't think it's a big deal for me, or it might not be within the scope of your asset to be compatible with PlayMaker anyway, but I just have other components on the same gameObject that I'd like to inspect.

Cheers

Exception when testing in editor (there's a lot more but it seems to be repeating):

18. samizzo

samizzo

Hi @jimmying,

Thanks for letting me know about that! I haven't tested with PlayMaker before so it looks like I've got a bug there when iterating over some property in the PlayMaker FSM component. I can't think of any workaround unfortunately. I was going to suggest trying to disable the component but actually I think that wouldn't help since the component can still be updated. It should be possible to make it work though so I'll look into it!

Thanks,
    Sam

19. jimmying

jimmying

Thanks for the quick response, @samizzo. If you could let me know when there's a fix, or if you'd like me to test it, please let me know.