Search Unity

Hazel Networking - Open Source RUDP/TCP Library

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Jamster, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Jamster

Jamster

I'm afraid I don't have a Mac to test but I've never heard of any problems before. Does Hazel work in Unity builds for Mac?

2. Karkazaz

Karkazaz

I am currently using Lidgren Networking library to manage my UDP connections and I have not yet had any problem with that. What would you say that Hazel is doing better? I am creating a first person shooter multiplayer.

3. Jamster

Jamster

I haven't used Lidgren a whole lot so I'm not really the best person to comment on it. I'd suggest that the main advantage I know is that you can very easily switch between TCP and RUDP with Hazel but Lidgren is only RUDP. Perhaps someone who knows more can chime in though!

4. BigToe

BigToe

I did end up getting it to work on the mac without crashing. It appears I was one number off on my IP address. When I fixed that Unity stopped crashing. So wha ti really needed was to add another null check to make sure I had a connection before I called Connect(). Thanks for the help.

Jamster likes this.
  5. alextoti

alextoti

Do you have a discord server?

6. Jamster

Jamster

Hey!

There's not a dedicated Discord server but you're more than welcome to talk/ask stuff here! If you'd prefer Discord though then I'm sure people wouldn't mind you asking thing in the DarkRift server (just preface your messages with the fact you're using Hazel!)

https://discordapp.com/invite/cz2FQ6k

Jamie

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey @Jamster, it looks like the documentation is broken again.

I'm gearing up to use Hazel (in TCP mode) on a commercial project... fingers crossed that it holds up to intensive use! :)

8. Jamster

Jamster

Eh... I'll fix that...

Good luck! :D

9. Jamster

Jamster

It's not down, it just needs a slash at the end of the url... I suspect I can make it so that's not necessary!

JoeStrout likes this.
  10. Vytek

Vytek

11. Jamster

Jamster

Hello All!

It's with great pleasure that I'm now handing over Hazel to @ForteBass! I haven't been able to do any work on Hazel for the last two years due to other commitments and I've never been able to give it a real world application myself. However Hazel has lived on with ForteBass's game and so I'm making his improved fork the official repository and handing over direction to him!

I'll still be around if anyone has questions and may make the occasional pull request, but otherwise he's the expert now!

You can find his fork here and linked in the original post.

Jamie

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Thanks for your service, Jamie, and for passing it on — the last duty of a responsible open-source author.

I'm using Hazel in a number of projects, most of them small, but some with the potential to become large. So I'm very glad to see it getting some love.

@ForteBass, will you be continuing to use this thread for forum support? Or will you start a new one?

Jamster likes this.
  13. A_Develope_R

A_Develope_R

How do I use Hazel Networking??

14. Jamster

Jamster

What are you stuck on? I'm not sure I'll be of much help for the latest version, you might need ForteBass!

15. guaralism

guaralism

@Jamster
    After I successfully built the server code from a example project, I got a "HazelServer.exe" executable file as a result.
    https://github.com/willardf/Hazel-Examples

But I don't know how to use this executable file and what it is since I have never built a real-time UDP server.

Sorry, I am too unfamiliar with these basic knowledge.
    Therefore, it may be a too stupid question to those here.

16. Jamster

Jamster

What exactly is your question?

I've not seen that repo before but if you've built the server presumably you just need to run it and then run a few instances of the client proejct there?

17. guaralism

guaralism

@Jamster
    Sorry, I was not clear.
    My question is ...
    "Can I run the server program on Mac OSX or Linux? Or do I need Windows computer to run this?"

Because I have only a Mac OSX computer, it is really difficult for me to guess how it is supposed to work.

18. Jamster

Jamster

It looks like a .NET Framework app so you have two options:
    1. Run it using the Mono Project which is an open source .NET implementation
    2. Port it over to .NET Core and run it with .NET Core

I'd probably go with the former option since it'll be a lot less effort. Install mono and then on the command line you should be able to run it with 'mono HazelSever.exe'

guaralism likes this.
  19. guaralism

guaralism

@Jamster Thank you for answering it!
    I got it to run on my Mac OSX.
    I think the server program will run on my Linux VPS as well.
    If I got a new question, let me come back here to ask you that again!
    Thank you for helping me.

Jamster likes this.