Search Unity

Havok

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by JohnnyBoy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy

How can i use havok physics in Unity

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

With a lot of work, a lot of overhead and little gain, you could potentially use it through a Wrapper Plugin with Unity PRO yes.

But otherwise, unless you are a bussiness with real funding and license the source code, I don't think its worth to even try it because the overhead will be massive and some stuff will potentially not work at all (the whole animate part for example will be more than troublesome, different nonfree havoc libs won't work at all)

3. jbuck

jbuck

Out of curiosity, why would you want to use Havok physics in Unity? I could understand wanting functionality similar to the Havok animation state system but Unity is still a budget engine compared to others with Havok or similar physics (Source, Unreal3). Most companies that have the budget for Havok have the budget for one of these engines.

Having said that, for an affordable engine the physics in Unity are already incredible.

No disrespect intended, just asking questions to learn more things. :)

4. melmonkey

melmonkey

5. Quietus2

Quietus2

To be fair all around, there's quite a bit of PhysX that isn't exposed or just doesn't exist in the older version that Unity uses. Soft bodies, Cloth and a lot of other goodies we don't have access to in Unity.

6. melmonkey

melmonkey

That's true, but all the basics of PhysX are available, and from using the latest and greatest of UE3, I must say that most of the new features aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Don't get me wrong they are very cool features, but they aren't something to be thrown around a level willy nilly. There needs to be a careful consideration into performance versus benefit of using the features.

They tend to be a performance hog when used without care.

Of course that may be all the modifications we made to the engine....but that is another issue altogether.