Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Having serious issues with unity audio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Polkatuba, May 21, 2015.

1. Polkatuba

Polkatuba

When I enter play mode, the following things happens:

- Random audio sources won't make any sound. They are completely muted or their volume has dropped nearly inaudible level.

OR / AND

- Random audio sources are playing horribly loud, as if not respecting the settings in audio source inspector.

OR / AND

- Randomly reverb zones are completely silent. No reverb can be heard.

OR / AND

- Randomly audio source can be heard thru reverb zone, but not directly (the dry sound is not audible).

When I stop play and restart again, some of the above mentioned symptoms go away, and some reappear.

All these issues can happen even when the player is not moving at all, only entering the play mode.
    To me, it seems like there could be some problems how unity is calculating the audio listener distance to audio sources. As if it randomly would give totally incorrect results (yes, I have only one audio listener in scene). But this is just my guess.

I'm scratching my head with this issue. I noticed similar behavior already in unity 4.x, and now with unity 5, it has gone even worse. It happens with every single project I make. Always, no exception.

Even though I see not a single mention of this in these forums, it's really hard for me to believe this is happening only to me.

Is there anyone with similar issues?

Thanks for reading

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. aihodge

aihodge

Check the 3D Sound Settings on your AudioSources. I'd start with the Doppler Level by reducing its value to 0 and seeing if that fixes anything.

3. Polkatuba

Polkatuba

Thanks for your suggestion.
    I tried to set doppler effect to 0, but it had no effect.

4. darren-walker

darren-walker

This is happening to me as well and is completely unacceptable for a product that needs to ship soon. I have filed a bug report and uploaded my project to them. How has this issue not been fixed after this long?

5. Polkatuba

Polkatuba

Yes, it's very old issue. There has not been many reports about it until now. It must be that either A) the majority of the developers are not using unity audio in their games or B) the issue is system dependent. My common sense says it must be the latter.

I posted a workaround at the other thread, perhaps it could help you in case the issue will not be fixed anytime soon.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/se...-zones-someties-dont-play-case-744893.369198/

6. jerotas

jerotas

A is definitely false. I would say most people are using Unity audio and no plugin at all to help. Although audio plugins are extremely popular as well.

Definitely stuff like FMod and WWise are used less than Unity audio.