Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Having issues with several Editor components

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by FrickinSilly, Jan 14, 2021.

1. FrickinSilly

FrickinSilly

This issue affects my project in Unity 2020.1.8f1 and after I upgraded project and editor to 2020.2.1f1.
    Machine: Windows 10, Acer laptop

I'm experiencing many bugs that have slowly amounted to make it difficult to use Unity. Some of these bugs have their own posts but have no solutions.

1. In the inspector window, the scollbar is approximately 20% into the inspector from the right edge where it should be. It covers content.
    Unity Inspector Bug.PNG

2. The Package Manager has a lot of overlapping text and clicking triggers buttons that are about 20 pixels away.
    Package Manager Bug.PNG
    3. The Sprite box in the Sprite Editor is completely disabled. When I try to click on it, it disappears. I can't rename sprites AFTER successfully slicing them like I have already done in the current project. I know I have set things like Texture Type (Sprite 2D) and Sprite Mode (Multiple) properly, because I can slice without issue.
    Sprite Editor Bug.PNG

What I've tried:
    - Restarting machine and Unity
    - Upgrading Unity version
    - changing layout back to default
    - Playing with Preferences (General and UI Scaling)

I've been working with Unity 2020 for a few months now and these issues started out of the blue, so something tells me they are connected.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

On MacOSX sometimes Unity had issues when using scaled desktops.

I had an Acer laptop a while back and remembered Acer's desktop manager had some scaled desktop feature too... did you perhaps turn that on? It's something to let you pretend the desktop is larger (or smaller) than the actual physical pixels, and in Windows it would likely be a property of the desktop.

3. FrickinSilly

FrickinSilly

Not something I have done explicitly, but I do have an external LG monitor plugged in, and it's possible there's some auto-detection and changing of this property in the background. That being said, I've had this setup for over a year and developed in Unity without issues until the last week or so.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Weird. I definitely have seen this same thing, but it always fixed with a layout reset, but you say you did that above. Hm.

Try demaximizing Unity and hand-maximizing it to the screen edges perhaps? Or just sling it to the edges of the screen, trigger full window repaints.

5. FrickinSilly

FrickinSilly

I have tried this to no avail. The scrolling and the package manager are weird, but I can live with them for now. But the sprite Editor not allowing me to rename slices is bizarre to me. Not just because the field won't let me enter anything or that it disappears, but because the box itself looks completely different than it did last month. And I have not upgraded in about 6 months (aside from today). I started this project using 2020.

6. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm not going to advocate doing this but one idea is to track down where Unity saves its editor preferences and nuke that directory.

The biggest hazard is that there is other data you want to keep in there, so be careful. Another hazard might be if the Unity license file is in there, so again, I am not advocating this, but it might be a place to look.

If you find the spot to look, perhaps also look for recently-updated files that might contain layout or UI metrics information, and either edit them if they are text YAML, or else delete them to force regeneration.

Be careful though. Back your stuff up or use source control!! And be prepared to have to reinstall Unity afresh.

7. FrickinSilly

FrickinSilly

SOLVED!

For an unrelated issue with my computer, I installed Intel's update to its Graphics UHD driver a few weeks ago. On a whim, I reinstalled the default Windows version and every editor view works again.

I would never have connected the dots other than for the fact that the timelines matched up (why would a graphics driver update affect Unity in particular so much, and not impact any other application on the device?)

Thanks Kurt, for your several suggestions!