Search Unity

Having issues with Animator component

Discussion in 'Animation' started by andrewdbanks, May 19, 2018.

1. andrewdbanks

andrewdbanks

Hiya, folks. I've been extending and modifying the old-school Space Shooter tutorial, and I'm trying to add a barrel roll animation. I made a very quick-and-dirty animation in Blender and exported the FBX. The animation previews just fine when I select just the clip. I then made an animator controller with just a single state after Entry and added the animation clip to it. I can see the bar fill up when the scene starts playing, but the ship doesn't animate at all. I'm not sure if there's something wrong on the Blender end of this, because the rest of the setup seems pretty simple, and it's not working out for me. If someone wouldn't mind checking out my FBX, it's here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H4MWBWhRRrqmmfMfQlK47SDtNKKA7W_m

The hardest part about this is that I'm just not sure how to go about debugging it. If you get an error returned, that's one thing, but in this case it's just that nothing is happening even though it tells me it's happening. Any help would be appreciated.

2. andrewdbanks

andrewdbanks

I'm not sure that I 100% identified why it wasn't working before, but I removed the Mesh Filter and Mesh Renderer from the Player object (this was done in Unity 4, so design paradigms may have changed since then), and then I added the new imported FBX as a child to the Player game object. Then the animator component accepted my settings and animated everything properly.