Search Unity

Question Having a bigger diameter on light makes ground shine and having it very small creates sun clipping

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by The_ZayNepz_Guy, Nov 29, 2022.

1. The_ZayNepz_Guy

The_ZayNepz_Guy

I use HDRP and have ground material as TerrainLit.
    upload_2022-11-29_21-53-55.png
    If I set my Lights diameter above 0.1, it starts to create shine like this:
    upload_2022-11-29_21-55-59.png
    And turning it to minimum makes the ground look normal but creates annoying clipping of the sun, when it's and the edge of the screen, which does not happen with a larger diameter.
    upload_2022-11-29_21-58-47.png
    Any help or input is appreciated.

2. akent99

akent99

If you are seeing "shine", have you checked the ground material "smoothness" setting?

I did not understand the clipping problem you were sharing sorry, but I remember Lens Flare had settings related to the light source being off screen (I had to turn it on, default was off). Might be worth checking project settings in case something useful there for the problem you are having. (Yes, very vague response!)

3. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

The clipping mentioned is just the edge culling out instead of the "fading" effect it has by default with 2.5-degree angular diameter, bloom intensity and flare size and fall-off setup at 2,4.

Typically though it is clipping out of view and is expected to happen.

My main question would be what are you trying to achieve with your moonlit scene @The_ZayNepz_Guy ?

Regarding your terrain, as @akent99 has mentioned checking your mask maps' roughness value on the Alpha channel is likely the most crucial first step.

if you're working in PBR roughness is
    smooth/shiny 0/Black
    rough is 1/White.

when you export roughness maps, they need to be inverted for unity because it uses
    smooth/shiny 1/White
    rough 0/Black

Which unity call smoothness ( typically this is called a glossiness map in a different workflow)

4. The_ZayNepz_Guy

The_ZayNepz_Guy

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out. It had to do wit the ground terrain layer I used to for terrain (so basically the ground texture). Lowering the alpha channel fixed the issue. Thanks again

5. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

yup, that's a remapper for your smoothness value mentioned above :), fixing your initial mask map would also fix this, and you would be able to use the remapper if needed for other things.