Search Unity

Have you guys heard of Godot Game Engine?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, May 6, 2021.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

https://godotengine.org/ is supposed to be more total beginner friendly game engine than Unity apparently :D

There's a Mini Degree course for it on Zenva.com, I went on the site above and downloaded the Linux file but it's a .64 file which I have no idea what to do with!

Does anyone have experience of this?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@RichAllen2016 Yes, I've used it. It's a great open-source game engine. It is being actively maintained.

3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Jaimi, adamgolden and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I've heard about Godot. That engine looks nice.

6. PutridEx

PutridEx

It's interesting. I've looked into it - unfortunately overhyped to the extreme, and it's community can be blind to what the engine can actually do, and what it can't do - currently.

Blender did it quite well, and while it's amazing that godot is open source, It's development isn't shocking me, speed wise.

It's fun to mess around with, maybe do some simple 2D games, but that's about it. For 3D it's just not ready at all -- and 2D, you're better off with other proven engines. (Unity, gamemaker)

Xrayez likes this.
  7. max3210

max3210

I tried using Godot but wasn't impressed, it has many flaws compared to Unity.

That's for 3D games, I've heard it's pretty good with 2D.

Also the engine itself is much leaner and uses less system resources, I think the executable is under 50MB compared to several GB for Unity. But yeh, it has much less functionality, and I wouldn't recommend it for 3D.

Xrayez likes this.