Search Unity

Have you already pre-ordered Unity 5 pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter-Apple, May 29, 2014.

1. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Hi all,

Given the current licenses of the 3 engines (Unity, UE4 and CE), have you already pre-ordered Unity 5 pro? :D

If you did, please make a +1 post.

Thanks

2. arvzg

arvzg

Yes I have, and it is my first Unity Pro purchase.

I've spent quite a number of years with Unity and I'm not prepared to let that go yet. I've played around with UE4 and it's a great tool (though wildly confusing to get into without some kind of guide - but then again probably so is Unity) but from what I can see I like Unity's workflow a lot more.

I've not tried CE yet, but from what I know of it (that it isn't really indie friendly, etc, so forth) I'm convinced that it's not for me (yet!). I am interested in downloading it and checking it out myself at some point though

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

With a bunch of subs, technically yes I have "Pre-ordered". @ ARVZG, friendly tip check out the freeSDK first before subbing.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm still debating it. I want to know what the overall performance increases are, what the performance of things like enlighten are on super low-end hardware, and other things like "how much S*** will break this time?"

5. tiggus

tiggus

Still waiting to see what pricing is going to be for WebGL and other addons.

Since UE has me won over on 3D the big draw for Unity to me is 2D projects. In the meantime I am writing something in HTML5/WebGL using Pixi.js for rendering and Node.js for server, it is actually quite a fun diversion and might grow into something bigger.

6. Waz

Waz

No.

I pre-ordered Unity 3 and was happy with what was delivered. I pre-ordered Unity 4 but it has been quite a disappointment - on balance it's buggier than Unity 3, especially on things that affect my shipping game.

I will not be pre-ordering Unity 5 by the "fool me once, shame on you" rule.

I'm not really concerned about price, but even if I was, I'd expect by the time Unity 5.x is stable (eg. 5.2), their offering may be more attractive than the current one anyway.

For now, I'm staying with Unity 4 - obviously for my existing shipping game - but also for prototyping new ideas. By the time my ideas crystalize, the dust will have settled over the engine market, Unity 5 will be out warts-and-all, UE4 (which I subscribe to) will have a longer track record to evaluate their so-far-excellent attitude towards their community, and Cry... well, maybe it will be all awesome ... somehow.

Now doesn't seem the time to be making commitments any which way.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. Xaron

Xaron

Haven't preordered yet as the pricing ($4500 - I target only mobile devices) is way off. I'll wait till they offer something more market realistic.

8. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I haven't yet, but I will soon and it will be my first time buying an official Unity Pro license (was using Free and educational version before)

9. griden

griden

Not yet and I don't know if I will.

I'm exclusively gravitating towards mobile and 2D. I've dropped the idea of creating PC/console games, and $5500+ with VAT doesn't look justified in the slightest. I already have experience with Objective-C and Cocos2D and there is Apportable for exporting to Android. So I lose only Windows Phone and eventually Web if I move away from Unity.

This is subjective, of course. Main reason as I said is that I stopped seeing the PC/console markets as realistic opportunities. Steam has gone mad, Unreal appeared and made game development accessible to even more people, etc.

I'm still here because I do like Unity and I don't want to think the last 6 or so months I spent learning it were a waste...

10. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

No at this stage I'm looking to see how Unity will react to the other engines pricing models. If they react to it of course.

11. yaapelsinko

yaapelsinko

No offence, but I don't understand the point to pay for something I don't even know when it would be shipped.

Why wouldn't instead UT give me a Pro license for free for my honest word to pay when I'll earn money with it?

12. TheRaider

TheRaider

I have, but partly because it was paid for by the work I do.

13. sicga123

sicga123

14. radimoto

radimoto

Like SolitudeSA, I am waiting until Unity makes a move to counter the other engines. I'm not pre-ordering until the pricing model changes...

15. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i will wait to see it "on sale -50 %" . i know they said they wont change price, but they are a smart and competitive company, so they will.
    like few years ago when they gave unity ios and android for free. Im just patient...

16. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Yep. I preordered it with the indiegogo fund that I received for my game. I have also bought an iMac 27 inch which is a total beast. I won't be subscribing to the ios and android pro just yet..

17. Toad

Toad

Yep, day one!

18. kenlem

kenlem

Day one here as well with iOS and Android.

19. ZimM

ZimM

I don't really get the point of pre-ordering with the exact same price as when the product will be shipped. Pre-orders usually cost less because you face the risk that the released product won't satisfy your expectations. But really, what's the point of pre-order here? I don't get it. So no, I hadn't preordered.

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you preorder now and you don't already have pro, you get 4.x Pro until the release of 5.0, which will likely not be out until November at the earliest.

21. ZimM

ZimM

And what exactly that changes? When Unity 5 is out, everyone who buys it would also be able to use Unity 4 Pro.
    What I'm trying to say is that there are zero benefits from making a pre-order - nothing changes if you do that instead of just buying Unity 5 when it is out.

22. Cogent

Cogent

No

We wait until a vendor delivers the product before we purchase it.

Especially in this case since we have been evaluating UE4, we like what we see and Epic is rapidly improving it.

If Unity's prices remain where they are we aren't so sure we'll be purchasing Unity 5 Pro at all.

23. Cogent

Cogent

/exactly

:cool:

24. punagai

punagai

No at this stage I'm looking to see how Unity will react to the other engines

25. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that:

When you pre-order Unity 5 Pro, you will immediately get Unity 4 Pro as a bonus, and you will get Unity 5 Pro when it's released.

It's really only useful for those who are looking to buy Unity 4 Pro right now, because it's technically equivalent to buying Unity 4 Pro, and then you get Unity 5 Pro for free as a bonus when it's released.

26. ZimM

ZimM

What people who don't have Unity 4 Pro get if they pre-order now: Unity 4 Pro and Unity 5 Pro.
    What people who don't have Unity 4 Pro get if they buy Unity 5 after its release: Unity 4 Pro and Unity 5 Pro.

So really, it changes absolutely nothing in terms of products received, and just adds risk of paying upfront for a product that may disappoint.

27. seitor

seitor

As a 2d game developer I'm in the camp of "wait until the dust settle", so no, this is the first time I'm Not going to preorder.

28. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Well, I'm on subscription. So... in some way I did, though not technically.

29. cannon

cannon

For new users, there's no incentive to buy until it's out unless you want to use Unity 4 Pro now.

For existing license holders, there's actually a pre-order discount that goes away once Unity 5 is released.

30. daisySa

daisySa

What people who don't have Unity 4 Pro get if they pre-order now: Unity 4 Pro today and Unity 5 Pro.
    What people who don't have Unity 4 Pro get if they buy Unity 5 after its release: Unity 4 Pro in November[*] and Unity 5 Pro.

[*] or whenever it comes out.

31. reset

reset

No, I haven't upgraded yet. Waiting to see how UT will price themselves then make a decision on what engine to invest my time into.

32. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

It slightly changes the price for upgrades or - as you said - as a new customer you get unity 4 Pro NOW. Which changes ... how long you will be able to use unity 4 Pro.
    It changes nothing in terms of products recieved if you completely disregard the timespan until Unity 5 is out in (x) weeks. If this does not matter to you at all - then yes. You are right and don't need to buy now. That's why it's called an offer and not obligatory.

33. hadidx

hadidx

I never pre-order products because it may be disappointing .Plus free is my favorite number for now :p

34. violinbg

violinbg

+1

I try to order Unity 4 but I was only allowed to pre-order 5. Of course, I did cancel my UE4 subscription after that. :D

35. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Pre-orderded.

The most important things in UE4 was
    taken out - easy path-finding, navigation meshes, equivalent of Unity's Mechanim, easy to use GUI. Let's not talk about slow C++ compile times and cost to license full version of Unreal :).

36. nipoco

nipoco

No

I don't buy a product which I can't test before hand.
    Especially with Unity's past of feature teasers/promises and what they actually delivered.

37. SpreadcampShay

SpreadcampShay

Pre-ordered, but with some reservations. I do hope the recent increase in communication will stay post-5.0 and that the Feedback they collect will have real effects and change during the 5.x cycle more than any cycle ever before it. So basically I'm betting on Unity at least one more time to show me they still can do what made me go to and love Unity in the first place before I go and consider the alternatives. My project is too far advanced to do anything other than that anyway :)

38. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Allot of the stuff you said are false - Nav Meshes (Pathfinding) are still in UE4 which update dynamically, a Mechanim equivalent also exists, GUI Editor (Unreal Motion Graphics) is coming out next month or so.

Slow Compile times - Are you recompiling the entire engine? If so you do not need to do that. Also what are your specs? I am compiling Unreal Engine 4 on a AMD FX 6100 with 16GB of RAM within about an hour maybe less...

You are also getting the full version (Source Code and all) with the 19 Dollars a month sub.

Personally Sounds like you have not even tried Unreal 4 let alone opened the editor...

Back to the topic at hand -

No I have not pre-ordered Unity5

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  39. Grafos

Grafos

Nope. Waiting for the inevitable price change to see if Unity will be the best deal.
    The function below shall determine my final decision:

void GetGameEngine()
    {
    if (unity_bestDealFlag == true)
    getUnityPro();
    else
    getUE();
    }

Time to move up, or move away...

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Well, with a horrid code naming convention like that, regardless of engine its futile.

41. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Yes.
    All money I invested in Unity 4, Unity 5 and asset store purchases are money made from Asset Store sales.
    Unity is an interesting self-funded hobby for me.

42. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

lol'd

My WIP game is for mobile and using 4 free, but I pre-ordered 5 because I had a PRO version of 3.x, and the pre-order of 5 was half the price for me.

43. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

What people who don't have Unity 4 Pro get if they buy Unity 5 after its release: Unity 5 Pro.

fixed that for you

44. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

The Unreal engine cannot handle the amount of "magnificence" and "swag" your code generates.

45. Guile_R

Guile_R

Nope,

Subscribed to CryEngine EaaS and no regrets so far even if it is a major PITA to fit their uber-strict standards (rigs, images, etc). If I hit a wall though I may jump back to Unity. I still love the gossip forums in here though =)

46. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Yes ... but only because I have two projects already near completion in Unity. I needed Unity 4 Pro now so getting Unity 5 as a pre-order made sense. However, as soon as I upgrade my computer, I'll be subscribing to Unreal to see what that engine can do. I may even check out CryEngine too ... it's cost is almost completely negligible.

47. ZimM

ZimM

Um,no. Unity 4 Pro users can use Unity 3 Pro just fine, so obviously, people who buy Unity 5 Pro after its release would be able to use Unity 4 Pro.

48. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

No
    Don't know if i will
    subscribed to Unreal

49. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

@ZimM: Really? So is it when you purchase 5 Pro you can also always use it for 4 and below? (I have a 3 Pro so I'm guessing it will work for 2 and below) In that case, I don't like it either. The pre-order is more like for eager beta testers then (if they will be accepted into the closed beta group in the first place).

50. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

If you own 3 Pro, you can pre-order 5 at half the price? Isn't that a good enough reason?