Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Have forums been restored from a backup?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Tortyfoo, May 1, 2017.

1. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Seems to be the case. Some threads I was chatting in yesterday have now disappeared! Also no forum seems to have messages from about 9:30pm yesterday my time (Australia Eastern Time) when I was replying to threads for at least 4 hours later than that.

Why the restore and why the very long downtime? Been a minimum of 12 hours offline.

2. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Did you not see earlier, the site was compromised, I have a screenshot somewhere. I'm sure they had to restore due to this.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

4. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Ah didn't see that. The forums were down when I woke up and very rarely if ever visit the blog unless an unity email directs me there. Was no mention on facebook page though which I did check.

If no passwords were taken why enforce a password change?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because security is being upgraded as a preventative measure.

6. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Because the group of individuals may have emails and passwords from other sources, which could be used to attempt to login to Unity, we suggest you change your password before we have 2FA enforced.

hippocoder likes this.
  7. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

This was the case before the hack though and always will be if people share user names and passwords. Either stuff was taken and you need the password changes or it wasn't and you are forcing the changes because of something that happened to you not something users did.

I do understand the need for security but it always frustrating when the knee jerk reaction is force password changes which whilst a minor inconvenience is still annoying. Also the new? password requirements (not changed my unity password in a while) are the typical ones that mean Passw0rd is acceptable but phasesettlinggeneralsprobability (first word of 4 books on my bookshelf) isn't as no capital letter and no number.

And for 2FA please don't force just phones as it seemingly is at the moment. If abroad I don't roam and yet that is when I mostly likely would need to re-authenticate.

It would also be nice if you could fix the exceptionally annoying having to re-login in to forums every 5 minutes.