Search Unity

Have child Text object scale parent Image?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by netravelr, Aug 21, 2014.

1. netravelr

netravelr

So I have a text box in my game that I want to modify the size of the image its a child of based on the text that it contains (the background is already sliced and works great)

Right now I have it working so that if I change/scale/whatever the parent the text will move correctly, but I want to do it the other way around, that is have the text change the the horizontal size of its parent.

It would work if I made the background have the text as its parent but due to the way its rendered the image would be drawn in front of the text. I could write a script to update it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the new GUI system.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi, if you look in the example project there is a scene called Layout Group. If you look at the Okay and Cancel buttons on the bottom they use layout components to achieve what you describe. You should be able to do the same thing in your scene.

3. runevision

runevision

In addition to what Tim said - if you don't otherwise use layout groups in your scene, you'll need to use a ContentSizeFitter on the background as well.

So on your background GameObject you can add a HorizontalLayoutGroup and a ContentSizeFitter set to preferred width and height. If you want padding around the text, you can control it using the padding setting on the HorizontalLayoutGroup.

Kayumus likes this.
  4. netravelr

netravelr

The layout groups and the content size fitter works perfectly! However, I also have a child to the background image that I want to place above the textbox but move vertically when the size increases, this worked before due to the anchors I set, but I do not want it to be part of the layout group (displayed to the right of my text). My thought was to create a vertical group and then place the name on top followed by the text, but due to the Content Filler I get a warning saying I shouldn't do that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

P.S.: Example 1 is what I want to have happen, Example 2 is what happens if I put it into the Box (how it moved correctly before)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. runevision

runevision

If you want a child of a layout group to not be controlled by that layout group, you can add a Layout Element component to it (the child) and check the option to ignore layout.

Kayumus likes this.
  6. netravelr

netravelr

So far so good! I got that figured out by now.

Now, I want to be able to able to scale horizontally within a vertical group, but not modify the health. As it stands now if I have 4 options in my buttons list, it looks perfect:
    Screenshot 2014-10-23 21.34.55.png
    However, if/when I remove one element from it:
    Screenshot 2014-10-23 21.35.02.png
    I could do this easily in the old GUI system using the GUILayout and adding space to the bottom and top, but the UI system complained if I added a Size Content Filler. Any ideas? Thanks!

7. runevision

runevision

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem is. Each child seems to be getting taller, is that the problem? If so you can disable Force Child Expand Height on the Vertical Layout Group.

Kayumus likes this.
  8. netravelr

netravelr

Got it! It wasn't available in beta 17, Upgraded to 20 and it's there now. Works great! Thanks!

9. Kayumus

Kayumus

Hello

I am having problem related to this topic. Can you help me please?
    I added a HorizontalLayoutGroup and a ContentSizeFitter to parent Image Object.
    Everything works well. However, If the text is too big, the parent Image object keeps scaling out of the screen.
    How to limit scaling of the parent Image Object?

upload_2022-4-2_7-57-4.png

What I want is like that

upload_2022-4-2_7-54-7.png

10. runevision

runevision

If it's not solved by the same solution then it's not the same problem, and you're better off starting a new thread than resurrecting an ancient one. Also, I don't work for Unity anymore. I hope you'll find the help you need.

Kayumus likes this.