Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Have 2 sets of GI usable data?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Thiago-Crawford, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Hi,

I know this feature cannot be added for 5.0 release, but maybe there is a workaround I'm not aware of?

What I want to know is if you can save a GI backup and reload it whenever you want. Here is why..

I want to be able to use/build previews, so i put GI on the lowest and fastest settings, this can still take ages though depending on the scene.

So once that is done, I don't want to risk losing that data. but I also want to have a higher quality bake for a final product going already.

Maybe we can have 2 sets of lighting calculation settings?
    1 quick preview set
    2 a high quality one that gets going once the other is done?

So you can switch back and forth between the 2 as needed.

Maybe there is an existing workaround that lets me do that already?

Thanks

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The GI cache actually handles this automatically for you.

You will notice that if you bake a scene first at high resolution, then at low resolution. If you switch back to low resolution, then you notice that the bake is extremely fast, essentially it's just loading the cached files.

This is due to the incremental bake pipeline which can cache any step of the computation.

3. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Thanks for the info, out of curiosity, how does U5 handle running out of space trying to cache multiple resolutions of GI data?

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The gi cache size can be controlled in the preferences window. Essentialy you define the maximum size of the cache folder. Unity will automatically delete the oldest files which have not been in use for the longest (aka. LRU)