Search Unity

Feedback Has Unity Fixed the extra clicks for the local/global, center/pivot buttons yet?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Immersive-Matthew, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Immersive-Matthew

Immersive-Matthew

2020.x had separate buttons for local/global, center/pivot which just needed one click. 2021.x+ now has a drop down list for each group which is 2 clicks. How this came to be is very shocking, especially given all the now clear space along that bar, but, it is what it is. I am more curious about when Unity is going to correct this mistake? 2023?

mgear and Unifikation like this.
  2. Unifikation

Unifikation

Given that extra space, can we get words instead of icons? Local/Global and Centre/Pivot much better than the symbology currently employed.

Immersive-Matthew likes this.
  3. halley

halley

@Immersive-Matthew , if you hit Z or X you can toggle those even faster. I liked the toggle better but they're trying to make all the buttons behave the same.

@Unifikation , if you drag the tiny grip so that the buttons are pulled OFF the toolbar and into their own little floating overlay, you can then right-click and choose the Panel style which has text for the current value. When docked, they're saving room. Saving room for what? You can write your own overlay tools which appear the same as all of the built-in ones.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  4. dgoyette

dgoyette

I don't think Unity considers it a "mistake" that needs correcting, and I don't either. The old version was a toggle button, and toggle buttons are often questionable UI practices, since it's not super obvious whether the word you're clicking on means the value is current "Center", or whether clicking it will change the value to "Center". The drop-down approach removes the ambiguity/confusion, at the cost you've pointed out. I definitely prefer the new approach for its clarity.

As @halley already pointed out, if speed is your concern, you can use the key-bindings for extra speed.

5. Immersive-Matthew

Immersive-Matthew

Thanks for the reply. I am taken back as there was never any ambiguity for me as once you learn which way is on/off, it is a no brainer. Now there is a silly icon I have to learn that means nothing to a new person, plus it is still just as ambiguous until you know the icons, and it is more clicks less the key shortcut which has always been an option. Really does feel like a step back to me. Perhaps this should be an option one can choose since some prefer the new way?

Unifikation likes this.
  6. spiney199

spiney199

Just use the keybinds like any power user worth their salt would do.

7. mgear

mgear

new editor ui did introduce extra clicks here and there,
    which is quite annoying if you use unity daily..(it all adds up)

also now that the scene window is stuffed with all those buttons,
    its impossible to use them without resizing scene window always: (when you don't want to add floating bars over scene)
    *Note that in 2023 alpha those buttons do have text titles, or maybe it can be enabled somewhere, havent checked(?)
    upload_2023-4-13_10-7-0.png

old version, can access everything in 1 click, no resize needed, and maximize to play was easy to enable:
    upload_2023-4-13_10-7-57.png

probably could look into these type of plugins eventually,
    https://github.com/marijnz/unity-toolbar-extender

8. Unifikation

Unifikation

This isn't a solution, as the current state is still difficult to determine, when it shouldn't be.

Immersive-Matthew likes this.
  9. spiney199

spiney199

You don't need to know what mode it's presently in to hit the keybind to put it in the mode you want it to be in.

10. Immersive-Matthew

Immersive-Matthew

I guess I am not worth the salt, but I do have the 6th highest rated app on the Meta Quest App Lab store for the past year out of over 2,000 apps. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4212005182188732/

What is your salt?

Unifikation likes this.
  11. spiney199

spiney199

Then you should be a big enough boy to use hot keys.

Spy-Master likes this.
  12. OBiwer

OBiwer

Also, probably the local/global toggle is not a togglebutton anymore, because if you select a Spline you can also select "Element" and "Parent" there.

(that gives it an extra bug, where the hotkey ('x') that toggles through, will try to toggle those states even if no spline is selected)