Search Unity

Has this been done?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

A mech battle royal where you start off in a giant mech, then once it’s trashed you escape and are in a mobile infantry suit with high mobility, then once that’s trashed you are on foot.

The game goes from strategic mech combat, to boomer shooter tribes esq combat, to twitch based COD style combat.

And everything is tied to weight.

So if you have a heavy load out for mobile infantry it slows down your mech phase. Or a heavy foot soldier slows down the mobile infantry phase.

And you get to completely load out the mech, the mobile infantry suit, and the foot soldier.

And needless to say your chances go down with each phase, but can find new gear on the battlefield, and replace mech parts that are damaged. Not to mention it’s completely possible to kill an enemy in the mech or mobile infantry suit and take it.

And of course your agro naturally decreases the further down the chain you go.

I imagine the ultimate wow moment would be someone on foot taking out a mech, like maybe ram a vehicle into them, or steal the mech altogether.

Seems like it would be full of million views videos.

Anyway, has anything like that been done?

EDIT: it might also be neat to force the players to exit their mechs to repair them, leaving them vulnerable, but that seems like a hassle.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  2. halley

halley

Doesn't matter if it's been done before. Unless you are specifically trying to clone a specific existing game, you're going to make it unique in a thousand ways.

DevDunk likes this.
  3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

It’s not wise to make something in a vacuum. Whenever you commit to a project you have got to be aware of its contemporaries.

4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I think Daemon X Machina did something like that, minus the battle royale part.

5. Serinx

Serinx

Can't think of anything but tbh I think it would be more fun the other way around. Scavenge parts to build or unlock the next tier and eventually get a mech. At that point, people can still kill you out of it and steal your mech of course, but it gives you that end-game advantage after spending a lot of time looting.

It would make looting actually a good use of your time for once in a BR, since you can become this ultra-powerful entity in the game while avoiding other players, making it a sort of noob-friendly tactic.

One of the worst things in BR is spending 20 minutes looting, getting a full backpack so looting any more is pointless, then you can't find any enemies so you get bored and run around the map like a maniac looking for people, giving away your position, then some jobless chad snipes you in the head from a bush 200m away.

Imagine if instead of that last S***ty phase, you just build a mech with all your loot, use your heat vision to find the bush dwelling scum rats, and melt their faces with your death ray.

6. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I think if you put in the effort to do models and code, it would be trivial to make game modes that go both ways.

Start in mechs or start on foot.

Also, I would think that a mega mech or even a voltron type mech would be a no brainer.