Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the XR Toolkit been abanonded?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by FishStickies94, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

Aplogies for not posting this in the stickied thread on the XR Toolkit, however I see that more for technical answers and also the multiple questions asked on this topic are not being aswered.

The last update was in April. Six months later and there's been no update, despite a lack of important features and bugs. The most we have had in terms of an update is "it's being worked on". I'm starting to become worried this will be another classic "stuck in preview forever" package.

Please can someone give us an update with some information on upcoming releases and features. It's a great system that is easy to extend however you have to do quite a few workarounds to get some basic functionality (such as force-droping)

MaskedMouse, mgear, colinleet and 2 others like this.
  2. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

Just bumping this because still haven't found the answer to this, and it seems like devs are activley avoid answering questions in other threads.

3. Redeye44

Redeye44

I can't even find the XR Interaction Toolkit in package manager. oof.

4. colinleet

colinleet

Look under preview packages, you have to enable them in a setting I believe starting in 2020.

5. Xiaoki

Xiaoki

Thank you for this.

colinleet likes this.
  6. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

Any Unity staff going to chime in on this? Been two weeks now, still no updates anywhere to be found. Finding the lack of update for XR Toolkit users a really kick in the teeth at the moment, and all signs point to Unity leaving yet another package in perpetual preview.

Shizola likes this.
  7. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

It's now 3 weeks and still not a single peep from Unity on this so I'm all coming to the conclusion that Unity have abandoned yet another package. Maybe it wasn't fancy enough for their IPO but yeah will roll my own toolkit instead.

8. Shizola

Shizola

It's been months since the toolkit was updated but now we have a new dedicated forum? The mystery continues :D

9. colinleet

colinleet

I highly doubt that it is abandoned, probably just bottom of the property pile. They're probably just overflowing with requests, and tasks to do. My totally random guess is that covid split up the team into a dozen remote pieces, across every company which makes headset APIs, three render pipelines, no one knows exactly how to fix something exactly without breaking someone else's code, you can only really zoom and code with a small handful of other programmers at a time/scheduling is hell... so they're holding off and doing what they can when they can -- holding releasing new features and updates till they feel confident in what they're letting loose into the wild...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  10. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

I understand that covid will throw spanners in the works, however that doesn't mean they can't give us an update on what's going on with the toolkit. Nothing has been said in months regarding it, or where it's going or whether bugs are going to be fixed. Unity are famous for starting things and not finishing them, so I'm just a little worried it's going to be another one of those situations.

Shizola and colinleet like this.
  11. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey there!

We are releasing a new preview version of XRI next week, accompanied by a forum post that shares what's new, known issues, samples, and roadmap.

Keep an eye out!

joeysipos and rsmeenk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.