Search Unity

Has anyone used this tutorial to learn C# / Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gildar76, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Gildar76

Gildar76

Hi,

I know C# myself, but when people ask me how to learn C#, or programming in general I'm pretty conservative. I want people to learn the fundamentals first, but to do it in a fun way. I would like to know if anyone that's almost a complete beginner has been using the devU tutorial to learn C# and unity with any success.

https://courses.devu.com/courses/unity

If someone has other suggestions, please let me know.

I myself, got into C# after using other languages for several years, so it's sometimes difficult for me to tell if a tutorial or course is good for an absolute beginner or not, but this was one of the more promising courses I could find that's free.

Thanks!

2. Tusk_

Tusk_

Hi there do you want to learn Unity AND C#?

I can't speak for 3rd party Unity resources but what I can tell you is the Learn Unity on this site is the most brilliantly crafted learning resources you can find, infact the free resources online are always better than some rubbish by a publisher looking to make money.

Here

http://www.introprogramming.info/english-intro-csharp-book/read-online/

This resource has been recommended on sub reddit programming aswell as veteran stackexchange programmers. It was created by University professors of the former Satellite Republics of the Soviet Union.

From the link you could read the comments and maybe decide, it is a 1400 page book that teaches how to think like a programmer and how to program, things like alrogithms and data structures rather than just learning a programming language.

I own this aswell as a number of American programming books taught at State Universities in the US and none of those books come remotely close to this link I have given you here. This was created by a lot of people for the sole purpose of teaching programming and how to solve problems.

And before anyone questions the legitimacy of Russians/ Former Soviets when it comes to technology just remember the Russians are still unmatched when it comes to Aerospace Engineering, how well that translates into computer programming well who knows, World of Tanks and World of Warships are Russian games and highly successful some of the best most technical MMO in the world.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    BrandyStarbrite and Ryiah like this.
  3. Gildar76

Gildar76

Thanks!

I don't think reading a 1400 page book is the best way to get into programing today :) I think new programmers should learn the basics and then learn more by programming a lot and learn more as needed.

Kiwasi likes this.
  4. Gildar76

Gildar76

And the book looks promising btw.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Everyone has a different way they prefer to learn. If we're presenting our opinions then I don't believe videos are necessarily any better. Navigating them is difficult and you're forced to follow along at the pace the author sets.

For a complete beginner you want a resource that allows them to see immediate results. About the closest I've seen for this is the following website which allows them to run the code they write directly on the site.

http://www.learncs.org/

I'd love to see the concept taken one step further though. Unity allows you to create custom extensions to the editor so there isn't any reason I'm aware of that would prevent you from creating a tutorial system directly inside the editor.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Kiwasi likes this.
  6. Tusk_

Tusk_

True I love big books, the lovely thing about that book is it covers every single thing even a full course on Algorithm Analysis and Design aswell as Data Structures. IMO these are very important stuff in programming as C# is simply a language. This book addresses the core of programming in the attempt to teach fundamentals and advanced programming so that it translates into any language. I have been thoroughly enjoying it and its free so thats why I recommend it, this was the best gift I found on stack exchange it is so beautifully done.

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

If you've been using other languages for several years, then instead of tutorials you should be using google search while looking for a specific information. Using google search you'll usually end up on MSDN, DotNetPerls and occasionally on stackoverflow (don't register there and don't participate. Just use whatever you find via google).

There shouldn't be any real reason for tutorials, since basics are about the same.

For unity specific inforamtion there's Learning section, but keep in mind that C# as it is used in unity is a bit different from C# as it is being used normally. Basically unity C# is older version.

Looking at the course, I wouldn't take this course myself. A lot of this information seems to be very basic and can be probably found for free elsewhere. But in the end it is your money and your time to spend.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. Tusk_

Tusk_

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Always try the Unity learn section first. It's free, and it is built to suit Unity.

For an experienced programmer MSDN should be next. It's free, and it's built by the guys who built C#.

If neither of those sources help, then turn to external courses, books, YouTube channels, Russian diplomats or whatever.

Ryiah likes this.
  10. Tusk_

Tusk_

^ IMO my experience has been that those who built something doesn't mean they are the best at explaining to people who doesn't have a clue. so you are right they are best for experienced programmers but the link to the Russian diplomats I posted is for Beginners

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't know why but this fact escaped me until just now which is odd because I like to collect links to university-level ebooks ever since discovering the C# Yellow Book being used at the University of Hull. The C# Yellow Book does get updated on a yearly basis but it isn't like the basics truly change that much.

Either way I need to learn to skim less when free books are mentioned. :p

12. Tusk_

Tusk_

Ooh yeah the C# yellowbook is another great book thats recommended on stack exchange aswell years ago I learned original C book in University written by the original inventor of C it was another fantastic book aswell.

But this book by the "Russian Diplomats" lol is by far the best. The detail they go into is just phenomenal I love how they did Algorithm Design and Data Structures etc

http://www.introprogramming.info/en...-19-data-structures-and-algorithm-complexity/

13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

All two weeks of it? :p

Sometimes I wish I was as smart and good at education as some of the new guys that come on. A 1400 page book would probably take me a year or so to digest and evaluate.

I'm glad it's working for you. But working for you doesn't automatically mean superior for everyone. There are a dozen different, valid ways to learn C# and Unity.

theANMATOR2b, Ryiah and neginfinity like this.
  14. Tusk_

Tusk_

lol well I was learning this book since September last year I actually did some C programming in University in my IT course I just never had a use for programming until I met Unity :p