Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you couldn't join the live stream, take a peek at what you missed.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried reading / modifying the saved Remote Settings file on client side?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Zarashi99, May 29, 2018.

1. Zarashi99

Zarashi99

Background: Just like the case presented in this issue with Remote Settings, I would like to use Remote Settings to hide my server base URL and some other authentication infos. I couldn't just put those values in PlayerPrefs and even more so directly into the code as values of static variables (since obfuscation is a big no-no as per this) and even if I encrypt my data, it'd be useless since potential crackers can see how it's being decrypted.

Now, according to this doc: "The web service from which Unity downloads the Remote Settings configuration is read-only, but is not secured. This means that the configuration could be read by third-parties. You should not put sensitive or secret information into your Remote Settings. Similarly, the saved settings file could be read and modified by end-users (although any modifications are overwritten the next time a session starts with an available Internet connection)."

The question: Has anyone tried reading and/or modifying that saved settings file (on the built game) on client-end side? I'd like to test how not-so secure Remote Settings is.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

3. Zarashi99

Zarashi99

Holy crap! Thanks for the link to the manual.

And thank you so very much for passing the feedback to the Unity dev team. <3
    You rock! :)