Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone seen this Strafe issue I am having?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Shadowing, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Shadowing

Shadowing

Been having this issue for over a year now and can't figure out what is causing it.
    Its blending a base layer with a upper body layer.
    The problem only exists when strafing left as you can see in the video

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Bud - this looks like expected behavior. The hips have to stay oriented in the same direction, instead of mirroring.
    Currently - when running left - the right leg is forward. The left leg should be forward and the character should be jogging backwards towards the left. Since the character is holding the staff on the right side - running 90 degree left with the right leg/foot forward is not locomotionally correct. Try it in your living room or outside with a broom, It feels uncomfortable.

Can you reverse the strafe right animation (lower body) to play - rather than mirroring it?

3. Shadowing

Shadowing

So glad someone responded to this. Thanks a bunch man. Such big issue I've had for such a long time.
    Is it possible to reverse an animation in Unity?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Shadowing

Shadowing

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  5. Shadowing

Shadowing

Oh dang you seem to be right about this.
    I set the speed of the animation to a negative value of the strafe lower body and he strafes left now correctly.
    Except it messes up strafe right now though. So its not a fix with just changing that.
    But it showed it working right so I need to figure out how to reverse the animation on this blend tree that my controller is using.

6. Shadowing

Shadowing

Oh I missed what you was saying. You said reverse it with out a mirror. I was reversing the left strafe animation I had. Which is a mirror of the right.

So I reversed the right strafe animation and now its super good. Except there is a weird issue with his feet. Looks like he is tip toeing when strafing left. I tried to take the Strafe Animation I had which i guess isn't really a mirror of the Right Strafe animation i have. Then i hit mirror on it and then reversed it but that wasn't a exact match. The upper body was a little different when strafing left.

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This is actually pretty accurate to real movement, but might want to have it fixed to be less tip-toe-ie.

When running backward with a two handed weapon on the side - a person contacts the ground with the tips of there feet first and then (sometimes) rolls onto the rest of the foot surface.

Looks 98% better now though! ;)

8. Shadowing

Shadowing

I really appreciate the help. Was a problem i've been having for over a year lol. I should of asked in the forum sooner I guess.
    I don't understand why it tip toes only strafing left though. Just reversing the animation idk why it would do that.

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I know - I was helping you before. :D I'm glad to see you've finally found a solution. That was a bugger!!

Because when the run right is animated - if you notice - the animation rolls on his foot and before his foot goes into the air, his toes are the only thing touching the ground. It is just opposite of that strafe right animation.

10. Shadowing

Shadowing

My bad couldn't remember your Unity handle my bad lmao. I didn't think it had 2b at the end of it. Lol.
    At least I got something usable now.
    I can totally release into beta how it is now. Which was really the main goal.
    I might fix it later with a non blend option.
    I have some other strafes to I haven't tried that may fix that.

I'm so happy lol.
    Really appreciate the help man. Thanks for taking the time.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

My pleasure friend. Glad I could help. I look forward to checking out the game! ;)

12. odysseyforge2024

odysseyforge2024

I had the same issue. My character looked like he was moonwalking or something.

Choosing the opposing animation & mirroring it can help (ig; for strafe-right choose strafe-left animation and mirror it). It isn't perfect for every angle, but you can cheese it close enough where nobody should notice.

Thanks for this old forum & answer! (lol)
    [SOLVED]