Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone over the age of 40 tested the Shadergraph UI?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by andybak, Jan 5, 2019.

1. andybak

andybak

I'm 48 and I wear prescription glasses. My development PC is a ROG Zephyrus with a 15" display.

I have no problems using Unity on it - the exception being Shadergraph. I have to completely adapt my workflow - or plug into an external monitor - to use it with any comfort.

Does anyone find it difficult to see or is it just me?

2. thelebaron

thelebaron

i would personally find any kind of prolonged dev work taxing on a 15 inch display

MadeFromPolygons and hippocoder like this.
  3. andybak

andybak

and I would personally find any kind of prolonged dev work chained to a desk taxing. I have worked on laptops for a decade and would never switch back to desktop dev.

However - that's not the point. Unless Unity now expects everyone to work on dual giant displays then my point still remains valid. Unity is perfectly usable on smaller screens in the vast majority of cases but the node-based stuff is an exception.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't think this is really age related question.
    Is more about productivity.
    The thing is, anything which requires graphics representation like nodes, will require space on workspace. Otherwise, it become hard to fit relevant content on small screen.

I am not sayin design is good or bad, but from over decade experience, working with any flow charts, is much performant, on bigger screens.

Small laptop screens can show only so much, specially when you have nodes, with texts and point anchors in them. And if our eyes stop playing as should, we will just hurt our self. Really screen of 24 inch would be most recommended.

It will fit in most places. While bigger would be nice to have for increased proficiency.

Desk is best way, to increase work efficiency on many levels. Laptops are ok for mobility, when no alternative option is available.

At least we have zoom shader graph.

But OP haven't really described, what exact issue is having, other than mentioning something about vision.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Since it's possible to write custom nodes you could write one with all of the functionality you expect the shader to have and just have it be the only node in the graph. Check the link below for the source code of the nodes that come with it.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...aster/com.unity.shadergraph/Editor/Data/Nodes

Oculus Go recently gained support for Virtual Desktop. Having tried Virtual Desktop with my Oculus Rift I can assure you nothing was too small. :p

https://vrscout.com/news/virtual-desktop-oculus-go-gear-vr/

Speaking of which there are shortcuts for zooming that you can use to navigate. To zoom in on one or more nodes you simply select them and press F. To zoom out you can just select all of the nodes by pressing CTRL + A and then pressing the key you would normally use to zoom in. Since all of them are selected it'll zoom out showing you the whole graph.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, the mouse wheel does zoom, but you may not have a mouse wheel on a laptop. I mostly mentioned the zooming with shortcuts and selecting nodes for the benefit of the OP who is having trouble with graphs and the space the nodes occupy.

With a touchscreen and a keyboard navigation should be very easy. I don't have a touchscreen to verify if you can do the two-finger zooming gestures but that takes longer than a keyboard command that can instantly zoom in and out.

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Normally trackpad is mapped to scroll action. So yes that should work as normal.

8. thelebaron

thelebaron

Well in windows 10 you have the option of the built in magnifier, and a slightly more convoluted setup could be to get another miracast device to use as a second display just for shadergraph.
    But to rewind, discrepancy? At maximum zoom in shadergraph, the font size is the same as the hierarchy/inspector etc, I don't see it as being any different from the editor - I just tested it out on my 12inch surface pro and there isn't any discrepancy - except for it being a dark theme. Maybe its the clash of dark on a light background?

Still, even using a regular or large screen can have an effect on your eyes. No such thing as a free lunch.

9. Antypodish

Antypodish

Just to add Win 7 has it too.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Er, you will find significant improvement with a 28 inch monitor. Is the resolution sufficient on your laptop?

11. Antypodish

Antypodish

I suspect 15'' screen will lead to additional eyes strain, when working on details.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah, I would suggest just having a cable to plug into a proper monitor for sustained work or making the shader editor full screen for that period (use shift+space in an editor context).

MadeFromPolygons and Antypodish like this.
  13. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I dont know anyone in a professional environment that uses a node graph on a 15 inch display. That is your main problem. No, noone exepcts you to have a giant double monitor set up, but if you are trying to use a node graph (an embedded window one for that matter) on a 15" display and ofcourse your going to have issues then.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't see OP is referring him/her self as professional user of Unity. I would assume more a hobby. Which will justify, why 15" is used. While of course, is not the best setup in given circumstances.

15. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Good point!

16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I’ve done a lot of professional work on a 15inch display. So whatever.

I don’t get this thread. He has a simple issue that could potentially lead to making the Shadergraph UI easier to use, but instead of exploring that you’re all replying with “you’re doing it wrong”.

Im assuming this means the Shadergraph UI is perfect as is?

I hope at least someone from Unity is looking.

17. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

I would like to hear specifically what you are having issues with?

Currently Shadergraph is still under heavy development and UX is something being worked on constantly so some detailed feedback would be great at this point. I know when I've worked on it in my spare time with my personal projects I find using it with a Wacom tablet not the smoothest yet, and I'm not sure how well a trackpad is as I find them very hard to do any prolonged amount of work on.

Again and more specific issues would be great to know about, I sit in the same room as one of the UI/UX devs on Shadergraph :)

hippocoder, Antypodish and AcidArrow like this.
  18. Antypodish

Antypodish

That could be true, but providing there is working space is not cluttered, or packed with icons and buttons.

Yet I can not imagine anyone, working efficiently with Unity or other graphical based software, on the tablet size screen.
    I am not saying it is not possible. But amount of scrolling UIs back an forward would be massive. Even for simple task as coding. There is only so much you can fit on screen in readable manner. There is minimum distance, for which human aye will not detect details anymore.
    Lets consider, that working with screen, anyone should avoid eye strains when possible.