Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone managed to set up an IPv6 server?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by donnysobonny, Aug 17, 2017.

1. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

Since launching Frogar.io in May, we've been having issues trying to get approved with Apple due to their requirement that any networking works in an IPv6 environment. It's taken some time to understand the issue and replicate it, but now that we have gotten to that point we're struggling to find a solution...

The game itself is an online game. We host the server-side currently on google cloud which we realize isn't going to support IPv6 over the UDP protocol any time soon, so we fully expect to have to move the server-side to another provider. So my question is, has anyone actually managed to set up their own dedicated server-side with IPv6 support, and been approved with Apple?

We're currently using unity 5.6.3 and UNET for the networking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. terrific_toaster

terrific_toaster

Did you ever resolve the issue? I am in a similar situation and any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

Yeah I use vultr.com now for any networking stuff. It's not a big brand and the uptime is naturally less than the big branded solutions like google cloud or AWS, but setting things up to be IPv6 ready is literally done by checking a box when setting up a server.

I think recently though google cloud updated their IPv6 support, so it might be possible now to use IPv6 over UDP with google cloud. You'll need to double check that though, i'm not 100% certain

4. terrific_toaster

terrific_toaster

Ah I see. I've been looking into google cloud IPv6 support, but I think it only covers TCP and not UDP right now. Thanks for the info though!