Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone been able to successfully use VS Code for their project?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Snubber, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Snubber

Snubber

I hate Visual Studio. It's super slow, the interface makes no sense, the keyboard shortcuts are all different than any other editor I've used. So I've been trying to use Visual Studio Code which I am much more familiar with. There are some Unity plugins but they don't work half the time! I'm thinking about giving up and just trying to learn Visual Studio (after it updates which could take a year or two). But I'd like to know if anyone here has been successful with getting VS Code to work. Specifically I'm having issues with the debugger. It will pause on breakpoints but I can't actually use the debug console. Any help is appreciated <3

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

By any chance are you running it off of an HDD instead of an SSD? While the official system requirements don't mention it you basically need an SSD to have acceptable performance. In my own experience Visual Studio went from a 90 second start time with an HDD to a 6 second start time with an SSD.

A modern processor (no more than five years old) and a good amount of memory (16GB+) definitely help but the drive is by far the most important factor with Visual Studio.

I was able to make it work back when they first added support for it, but I have yet to make it work with the recent releases.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. Dextozz

Dextozz

4. orionsyndrome

orionsyndrome

I am using VSCode for a while now, but I don't care about the debugger.
    I just couldn't stand PC version of MonoDevelop any more and VSCode came across as decent enough, though Resharper plugin tends to be really taxing for the system, so it's not the lighest setup in the world, but it's certainly lighter than fully fledged VS.

5. LuisEGV

LuisEGV

Please! Somebody from Unity help us with this.The debugging feature used to work most of the time before the 2019.3 unity editor came out. But now, as Snubber says, works some times. I'm having the same issue, breakpoints pauses the execution, but literally you can do nothing else with this (well, you can stop debugging session).

Snubber likes this.