Search Unity

Has anybody tried Gaia on Oculus Go (or other mobile)?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by JoeStrout, Nov 27, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I absolutely love the look of the Gaia sample scenes.

upload_2018-11-27_7-22-7.png

I'm wondering whether/how I can get something like that onto Oculus Go (essentially, an Android mobile device), while maintaining 60 fps.

Has anybody tried this?

One possibility might be to render the scene to a cube map beyond a certain distance, and only render the close-up stuff in realtime. Does Gaia include (or can anyone recommend) any tools to easily manage that?

2. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Hey Joe,

I´ve already used some High-Quality Assets / Terrain in the HTC Vive and I can probably project that performance to an Oculus Go. If you want to have that Quality as shown in the pictures, on the HTC Vive you are going to need some sort of World Streamer (E.g. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/world-streamer-36486), which allows that only the near Terrain is loaded.

But even then, you probably can´t get that kind of Quality on the Go. What you have shown only works with an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift and a High-End PC. But you can probably use the Low-Poly Assets which Gaia provides for Projects and use that for the Oculus Go.

With friendly Regards
    Jan aka. Sonorpearl

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Thanks for sharing your experience. You're probably right about using Gaia in full real-time mode. I'm not really interested in low-poly at this time. I am, however, willing to not let the user move around much.

I think I'm going to try combining Gaia with either VR Panorama or Seurat. Seems like those should work.

Sonorpearl likes this.