Search Unity

Has anybody seen this new 3d engine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adshead, Jan 8, 2006.

1. adshead

adshead

Now I realise that a forum for Unity may not be the best place to talk about other 3d engines but I have the indie developers interests at heart...

I only came across this link today and wondered if anybody had heard of this engine before?

It seems to be a cross-platform AAA engine that is going to have an indie version released shortly for $150. It looks pretty full featured to me.

Now its impossible to tell how this engine compares to Unity (which is great) - but it does support FPS style games and outdoor terrain rendering which I think a lot of game developers want. I realise Unity can do this type of thing but without a proper Portal or terrain engine I can't help thinking Unity is a little weak in those areas.

Does anyone have experience of this new engine?

regards
    Dud

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Looks ok - nothing revolutionising. No mac port.

3. klindeman

klindeman

4. pete

pete

i'm sort of familiar with it but they haven't released it yet except to a few commercial developers. so no hands on experience with it. mike at gekido (they're developing bv) used to run the reality factory forums. but bv isn't based on reality factory (or genesis). it was written from scratch based on the veggie games' cow game tools/engine (steer madness). they did just release a demo but be warned... it sounds like they rushed it out and they are some minor probs with physics etc. probably not the best example of what it can do. think it's pc only too.

they're touting bv as a pretty advanced/feature complete middleware. i think it will be eventually but it sounds like they still have some work to do. it's a lot like unity but for the pc. tamuel should like it! ;) supposedly with the commercial license you can do a publish to mac with a button click but i'm pretty sure the tools are all pc only. no idea what the commercial license runs. inquired but got no response. (mike - ya hear me?) i believe physics are ode right now. unity wins that one imo. think they're looking into other physics engines though. all in all it will probably be pretty nice when it's done if you don't mind working on a pc. and of course "when it's done" is still a who knows...

[EDIT] haha... posted at the same time as g but i did name names! ;)

5. gsnyder

gsnyder

Thanks for the link, adshead!

In all fairness, it looks nice enough. The problem is, being able to make OS X builds and having an editor that can run in OS X are two different things. Much the way that Unity supports Windows builds, but runs in OS X.

I do like the curve-oriented editing of effects values over time shown in the editor shots, and their engine certainly looks nice enough. It would probably be an acceptable alternative for some of the people on this board who want a Unity-like indie game engine for the PC (not naming any names 8)).

In the end, I prefer that Unity's editor is native to OS X. Mainly because I appreciate the simplicity of OS X interface standards. Also, keep in mind that a lower price won't always denote a higher quality or better usability...areas where I think Unity excel given its indie price.

-G

6. aigam

aigam

It has not been released... when the engine releases, we will compare ^^.

But I really love the editor os unity... is the best editor of all engines I have never seen.

7. Pavlov

Pavlov

For some reason the demo moved at about five frames per second, after about ten seconds of this I gave up and quickly uninstalled it. Sorry, not very impressed.

8. pete

pete

>>they did just release a demo but be warned... it sounds like they rushed it out and they are some minor probs with physics<<

the first demo released had a physics bug that crapped out the game. think they fixed it and a new demo was released. but if you dl'd this week you got the new one. like i said rushed out and buggy. i guess they were just taking a page from good ol' microsoft. it is pc after all.

9. yigeren

yigeren

10. Optime

Optime