Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

HARDWARE / LAPTOP / COMPUTER for use in Unity development? Ask here! (and only here)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scorp2007, May 15, 2021.

1. spiney199

spiney199

With only 4GB of ram you'll struggle to even open the Unity editor.

Ryiah likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Please don't. I'm guessing you don't have much to spend on a laptop but there is a limit to how old of a laptop you should consider and that laptop is far beyond that point. Forget Unity. That machine will struggle to run a browser and it will struggle to run Windows.

Crazy part is the memory is the least worrisome part. AMD's E1-1500 was released in 2013 but it's performance is on the level of a Pentium 4 from 2008. It's graphics is a Radeon HD 7310 which sounds great on paper but is half the performance of Intel HD 4000 which came out in 2011.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    gjaccieczo likes this.
  3. RobertOne

RobertOne

i am currently planing to replace my motherboard to get a i9 12900K processor. should i go with a DDR4 or with a DDR5 motherboard? will it have any speed benefit going with DDR5 over DDR4 - especially in script compilation?

4. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

This isn't a good choice at all. Chances are that there are better offers for the same amount of money (even in the current market) as i've noticed those older laptops being pushed on the market for higher prices than what they are actually worth.

5. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

Not that user, but here's an analogy: an image could be printed using different inks, paper types, resolutions ("low quality displays") but the source of the image (the product made on a "high quality display") must be as close to authors intent as possible to ensure that even on low quality paper, the image is still going to be somehow "accurate".

6. Ukounu

Ukounu

Script compilation times mostly depend on raw CPU power. DDR4 or DDR5 will make no difference.

unityunity