Search Unity

HARDWARE / LAPTOP / COMPUTER for use in Unity development? Ask here! (and only here)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scorp2007, May 15, 2021.

1. Ryiah

Ryiah

There is no such thing as a best laptop for every use case. While it might work great for the games you are making I'm very doubtful it would even load my work projects. In fact the default SSD it comes with (256GB) wouldn't even be able to store one of my work projects (390GB).

Edit: Yikes. I assumed the base model had a 256GB SSD since that seemed reasonable but it appears that the base model only has a 128GB SSD. Between that and only 4GB RAM that laptop should not be anywhere near $400 and it definitely won't be practical for anything beyond 2D.

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

How long a build typically takes to finish on 5950X for you? And what cooler are you using on it? I hear this CPU can hit over 90C too.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

It varies between target platforms but typically around eight minutes.

A Noctua NH-D15. At time of purchase it was the most capable cooler available from them. My system is sitting inside of a Fractal Design Define 7 which is a case optimized for silence. Idle temperature is 80C with peak temperatures hitting 90C.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK
    https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7/black/

Yes, this is much hotter than most processors will hit, but it's important to understand that this is on purpose.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

PanthenEye likes this.
  4. spiney199

spiney199

Would you look into AIO water coolers?

I recently upgraded to an i9 12900kf with a reasonably high end Corsair AIO water-cooler. Idles about 30C, peaks to about 60C when under load (such as building), and is absurdly fast.

Was a well worth upgrade in my opinion.

5. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Which one are you using? I'm considering 280mm Asus Strix as there aren't many options for 1700 compatible AIOs right now.

6. spiney199

spiney199

Yeah you aren't wrong about the scarcity of AIO's for 1700 CPU's right now. Either you hunt down a retrofit brace that the brands seem to never have in stock, or you fork out for something like one of these which I got: https://www.pccasegear.com/products...00i-elite-240mm-lcd-display-liquid-cpu-cooler (understand Australian websites probably aren't helpful).

While I think a screen on the cooling unit it a bit much, it does a good job nonetheless. Working with Unity right now and my CPU is running at 35C.

PanthenEye likes this.
  7. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

I've been reading up more on i9 and I think I'm getting it today. Worst case, I can undervolt it a lil' bit for significant temp gains reduction while retaining most of the performance.

EDIT: i9 12900k is on its way together with the rest of the components minus GPU which I'll reuse.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  8. valarnur

valarnur

Can laptop with integrated Intel Iris XE gpu run Unity HDRP? Does anyone have to confim it?

Does Intel Core i5-1135G7 Iris XE integrated gpu support HDRP raytracing?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Everything I have read suggests it's only available on the dedicated cards that will be shipping soonish. That said even if it were available for integrated I would expect it to be unusable as there is a significant difference between having a feature and having the performance for it. All but high end cards struggle with the technology as it is.

10. snooktarpon

snooktarpon

Apple just announced a new line of Macs called the Mac Studio (https://www.apple.com/mac-studio/specs/). Could these be used for Unity 3D gaming development. Or would I better off getting a windows based PC?

11. alaatik

alaatik

Yes.
    Only you can answer that. Mainly it depends on your budget and preferred operating system (MacOS vs Windows in this case)

12. Alaapb1

Alaapb1

Hi please can someone help me to choose what best laptop for unity develop 3D game from that 2 laptop
    [MSI GE73VR 7RF RAIDER]
    CPU = Intel i7-7700HQ
    GPU = nVidia GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
    RAM = 16GB
    Storage: 1TB+128GB NVMe SSD
    Screen: 17.3" 120Hz 5M
    Or this
    Screen 15.3 120Hz 5M

Ryzen 5-5600H
    4.200hz 12 cpu

Nvidia RTX 3050 Super 130W
    Ray tracing ON

16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz

512 GB SSD OPERATION 5 SECOND

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wow. I don't know where you would have found a brand new 7700HQ. It's a five year old processor whereas the 5600H is only a year old. It's not even a fair comparison. The 5600H will completely stomp the 7700HQ.

Beyond that a larger SSD is always more valuable than a smaller one plus hard drive. You do need storage but you need fast storage. An HDD is only truly valuable for long term storage of large files.

The RTX 3050 is a little slower than the GTX 1070 but it has more features than the 1070 including but not limited to DLSS (a very advanced upscaler that is basically free performance for games that support it) and raytracing.

Screen size is personal preference. Just be aware that a 17-inch laptop is not small. It can be awkward to carry around and may not fit into a backpack.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  14. Alaapb1

Alaapb1

Thank you very much for information mate ..that 2 laptop is used not new but the IdeaPad gaming used just 1 month so clean and the msi price is 730$ and the other for 810$

15. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Couldn't get an LGA1700 compatible AIO here (the one they sent me was compatible on paper but ended up being manufactured before November 2021 and therefore didn't fit) so I went for Noctua NH D15 which, unfortunately, can't cool stock i9 12900k under synthetic loads.

In real world scenarios though using Unity and gaming, the temps are reasonable - 35°C idle (it's around 22°C ambient in this room), around 50-60°C when gaming, and 70-84°C in Unity's multithreaded scenarios - builds, platform switching, etc. There are occasional spikes to 94°C, however.

I'm trying out undervolting right now, -0.05V offset seems to bring Cinebench temps from 98-100°C to 91-92°C which is acceptable for me.

EDIT: Upgraded front intake fans to a 3-pack of Phanteks T30. It reduced idle temps some 5-7°C while also reducing the noise significantly. Adaptive undervolt is also working nicely, it only reduces voltage for peak workloads for a minimal performance cost.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  16. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

I currently consider buying this HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop: https://support.hp.com/lv-en/document/c08089316

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600H (up to 4.2 GHz, 6 Cores),
    16GB RAM,
    GeForce RTX3050 4GB DDR6 dedicated,
    Hard Drive 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

But a thing that worries me is that the Screen is only 250nits that some reviews consider dim. Do you have experience with developing and playing games at 250 nits and 45% NTSC? is it an issue for indoor usage?

Also some older reviews said that HP Pavilion Gaming Laptops have hinge issues, but some users commented supposedly that they have been fixed lately. Does anybody have experience with HP Gaming Laptops in that regard?

Also how long do you think will the Ryzen 5600H and RTX3050 be able to play new games at medium details? I would like to play modern games for at least a few years.

Thank you so much for your support

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  17. vinh06031990day

vinh06031990day

My 10 yrs old laptop SVS151190x can not handle Unity 3D anymore although I already upgrade the ram and turn on the delicate graphic card (a lot of errors popup if I tried to run one),
    so I have a plan to build a new PC, that would be easy if the price of GPU is not on the sky right now on my country, sure, I can buy one, but It take like half of my budget for a decent one.

I know that would be confusing when asking this but between i5 12600KF and R7 5700G (almost same price tags on my country), if I build a PC without GPU, which one will have better performance when running Playmode on Unity 3D (URP) project? (the project is around 60GB of low poly models, but with a lot of light sources on one screen)

which one will give better code compiler time? If your guys must build a PC w/o GPU to run the Unity 3D URP project, which CPU would your guys recommend?

18. elcionap

elcionap

12600KF doesn't have integrated graphics (F means no graphics for Intel) so, without a dedicated GPU, the 5700G (G means integrated graphics for AMD) is the only choice between the both. That said, I'm not advocating for or againg any of them, just informing about the integrated graphics absence in the 12600KF.

[]'s

vinh06031990day and Joe-Censored like this.
  19. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

GPU prices are collapsing, quickly approaching MSRP in parts of the world. I'd hold out a little longer, or look to the used market which is also dropping.

Between the 12600K or the 5600G, the 12600K is superior, but expect relatively poor graphics performance from both. As already mentioned, the 12600KF doesn't have an IGPU.

vinh06031990day likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Performance isn't your only thing to consider here. Intel's 12000 series uses a hybrid architecture of performance and efficiency cores. Windows 10 is not capable of properly using a hybrid architecture leading to problems with the 12600KF. If you want to use that processor you will need to run Windows 11.

The 5600G does not have a hybrid architecture and therefore runs just fine on Windows 10.

Joe-Censored and vinh06031990day like this.
  21. vinh06031990day

vinh06031990day

Thank your guys for the headsup, I will stick with 5600G.
    I know that the price of GPU will collapse soon, and I also thought the same on 2019, and it seems that the retailers on my country do not want to lower the price of GPU until they can sell all of their old GPU (purchased during the peak of GPU price), so that gonna take like forever for me to wait.
    My current options are limited on non-GPU-PC and Laptop, but the price of laptop is too high, just for the same performance, so I will skip that.

22. Matteob98

Matteob98

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

I recommend this one. In theory both Intel PCs would be fine but the more expensive one ironically has a worse motherboard (Intel H motherboards are low-end, B's are mid-range, and Z's are high-end). The AMD PC has half the memory and storage for the same price which immediately removed it from my consideration.

The only downside it has is that it's running a stock cooler instead of a custom model. If you wanted to get a little more performance and have it run quieter just pick the optional Hyper 212X for 30.50 euros. Just ignore the fact that one is an 11400 and one is a 10400. The difference between these two generations was around 5%.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  24. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Most benchmarks report very similar numbers between win 10 and win 11 for Intel's 12th gen.

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

The actual numbers are very similar but there are definitely cases where the Windows 10 thread scheduler will target the E-cores for a task when it should be targeting the P-cores leading to performance loss. Which apps it affects and how it affects them isn't always the same but varies depending on how you're using the processor.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  26. Matteob98

Matteob98

Thank you so much for the response. I am taking into consideration what you have recommended to me even if i've to add about 200€ (HDD, wireless card and OS) because is not a problem. I was wondering if there was a suitable computer for sale on this site (https://www.pcokomegna.it/pc-gaming-promo-596/) always around 1200€? (just because the shop is close to my house and it would be convenient ahah)

27. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

Is the color gamut of the screen important for Indie game development?
    The laptops I'm looking at have a gamut of about 60% srgb (or 45% NTSC) which isn't considered very accurate. But is it still enough for developing indie 2D or modest 3D graphics?

28. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

Why build one PC when you can build two for twice the price! :D

I have both a new 5950x (MSI Carbon 570s) and a 12900k (Gigabyte AERO G z690). Which system do I want to keep for me and which should I give to my son? I do a lot of media creation (Studio One, lots of plugins) as well as Unity, coding and some moderate gaming (not into competitive or FPS stuff, more specifically adventure/walking simulator type games) and WoW). The kid is about to be 11 so he's getting a pretty tricked out birthday system either way.

Both are DDR4. Both systems are already purchased and built, I just need to pick which one I want and accessorize as needed. My system will have 128GB DDR4 (I used to run out of memory on my old 64GB workstation), a 6900XT and a bunch of NVME. I use a 43" 4K. My kid gets the old 64GB kit, an RX580 and a bunch of SATA SSD. He uses an Ultrawide.

Which would you use and which would you pass on?

Edit* Unity is all 3D HDRP stuff if it makes much difference.

29. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Usually that's enough because you are not printing your game and your players will have monitors with settings all across the board anyways...

ChiFreak likes this.
  30. Ryiah

Ryiah

How important are colors in your game? A few years back I switched from a budget TN panel which didn't even advertise a color accuracy to a monitor with 99% SRGB and I was expecting to see minor color shifts but I was shocked when I saw colors that were previously primaries were suddenly secondaries.

One more thing to be aware of is that the display may have a high accuracy but that's no good if no one has taken the time to calibrate it. If a display is intended for content creation it will often be calibrated by the factory and a report will be included with it. Below is an example report.

report.png

If the display is not calibrated your choices are to either bring the display to a company that will calibrate it for a small fee or buy the equipment yourself. Below is a video from Hardware Unboxed that explains what you need to know for a basic calibration using a budget calibration tool.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Joe-Censored and ChiFreak like this.
  31. akumar22

akumar22

I have Acer Predator Helios 300 i7 10th Gen 16GB Ram. The only downside is the battery. Since it is a gaming laptop battery drains faster. Performance is unmatched.

32. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

Thank you for your informative answer. I'm actually not sure how important the colors are in my games.
    Currently I'm mostly making 2D (alot of pixel-art things) and some simple 3D (mobile-style) games.
    I don't know if color accuracy has an effect on these rather simple graphics.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I actually have an old external monitor here: https://www.newegg.com/benq-fp71g-17-sxga/p/N82E16824014100

The sRGB gamut actually isn't explicitely advertised here, it just says "Display Colors 16.2 Million". Is that enough, so that I could use it as an external monitor if the laptop screen has problems with color accuracy?

33. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Hey @Ryiah I've been confused on this topic for some time, and wondering if you can enlighten me. What is the point of using a display with high color accuracy for content creation, when your customers consuming your content will primarily be using lower quality displays? Your users won't see your content in the way you intend from how it looks on your high quality display.

Wouldn't it be better to create content on a display that is more in line with the quality of display that your customers will use? So that the content you create looks to you closer to how it will look for your customers. Genuine question.

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's just it. Modern panel technology is far more color accurate than people realize. Just about every IPS panel available achieves at least 90% in sRGB and many of them go beyond that. Check out this entry level monitor on Amazon. It achieves more than 98% sRGB for only $120.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-SB220Q-Ultra-Thin-Frame-Monitor/dp/B07CVL2D2S/
    https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/acer-sb220q

For $230 you can get a monitor with 91% DCI-P3 (127% sRGB).

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-G27FC-Monitor-Response-FreeSync/dp/B0927959GD/

Earlier someone mentioned the Acer Predator Helios 300. Originally the panels they used were only achieving around 80% but starting in 2018 they switched to panels that achieve 98%. It's one of the more budget friendly laptops available too.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/19445-acer-helios-300-coffee-lake-review/

Getting back to the question it's about having a control and limiting the amount that the colors may be off. Every panel is different and will have different inaccuracies. If you start with a high accuracy panel the inaccurate ones may not be as far off as they would be if you had created it on a low accuracy panel.

You don't need an insanely accurate panel either. At best mine are only 99% sRGB. That said you almost have to go out of your way to find a low accuracy panel. Once you start trying to get 1440p or 4K, 144Hz, HDR, etc you almost always get high accuracy as a side effect of the panels needing to be good for those.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  35. derkoi

derkoi

Hey all,

I'm running an Intel i7 CPU and looking to upgrade it so builds are faster. Any suggestions please?

Intel Core i7 4770
    Cores 4
    Threads 8
    Name Intel Core i7 4770
    Code Name Haswell
    Package Socket 1150 LGA
    Technology 22nm
    Specification Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Family 6
    Extended Family 6
    Model C
    Extended Model 3C
    Stepping 3
    Revision C0
    Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
    Virtualization Supported, Disabled
    Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled
    Fan Speed 874 RPM
    Bus Speed 99.9 MHz
    Stock Core Speed 3400 MHz
    Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz

36. spiney199

spiney199

Well... what's your budget? That's a 2013 CPU so you either find a new-old stock better model of your socket size, or you're looking at probably needing to upgrade motherboard and RAM alongside your CPU.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just buy a new computer. While you can in theory replace the CPU with a 4790K for around $125 (assuming your motherboard supports it) the most you would see from that is a 10% performance boost. Meanwhile a new system built from a 5600 or 12400 will see a much larger increase.

Systems based on the 12400 run around 1200 to 1300 euros depending on the GPU.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-Orion-3000-Gaming/dp/B09RQRLDW4/ - £1200 w/ 3060
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-Orion-3000-Gaming/dp/B09RQQDR8L/ - £1300 w/ 3060 Ti

If you want to go higher there are higher tiers of the above computer with i7s and bigger SSDs.

Scores the 4770 as a 7,030 total with a single core of 2,166.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4770+@+3.40GHz&id=1907

Scores the 4790K as a 8,061 total with a single core of 2,467.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

Scores the 5600 as a 21,350 total with a single core of 3,208.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+5600&id=4811

Scores the 12400 as a 19,571 total with a single core of 3,532.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-12400&id=4677

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    DragonCoder likes this.
  38. derkoi

derkoi

I don't have a hard budget, I'm looking for the 'best bang for the buck'. I expected I'd need to upgrade the mobo too, graphics card is a 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (MSI) so i think that's fine

39. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the reply but it seems a bit of a waste buying a full system when I have a case, power supply, graphics card etc here already. I expected I'd need to upgrade the mobo too, graphics card is a 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (MSI) so i think that's fine

40. Ryiah

Ryiah

Memory too. DDR3 is long gone. I'm not familiar with European component stores so I'm sticking to Amazon for recommendations but you will have to look into memory kits elsewhere because DDR5 is new enough that you'll want to match exactly what the board supports and Amazon's search tool doesn't cut it.

I wasn't able to find a listing for a 12400K that was in stock so I just went with the i7. The "F" means that it lacks integrated graphics so if you need it for a task like QuickSync you'll want to pick a listing without that letter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i7-12700KF-3-60-5-00GHz-without-Kühler/dp/B09GYJJ1PT/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-PRO-Z690-WIFI-Motherboard/dp/B09HK7CG73/

Here's the memory compatibility list for the board. On the right side of the chart is an indicator for how many sticks the board is able to have installed and maintain maximum compatibility, and the size indicator is how large a single stick is. The board caps out at 128GB.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z690-A-WIFI/support#mem

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  41. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, I'll look into it more. I normally use www.scan.co.uk for my pc shopping

42. pfresh85

pfresh85

So I've been doing minor game dev experiments on and off for the past few years (mostly 2D stuff), but my desktop is getting a bit long in the tooth at 6 years old. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy a completely new one, probably only enough to update 1 or 2 parts. So I'll list the specs below and see what you guys recommend I update to continue with game dev, both 2D and light 3D (think like GameCube/Wii era of 3D).

CPU: Intel i3-6100 3.7 Ghz
    RAM: 4GB DDR4
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    HD: 256 GB SSD for main drive, 1 TB 7200 RPM for additional drive

43. Ryiah

Ryiah

How comfortable are you with used components? Because to be blunt you're past the point where you can just buy one or two components for that system. A new processor is going to need a new motherboard and memory. GPUs are still a bit high in some areas so that's likely out too. You already have an SSD.

A used 6600K is around $75. Just don't expect much more than a 10% boost in single core performance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334427098894

A memory kit might make a bigger impact but I checked what that processor supports and it's old enough that compatibility could be a real concern. Some of the supported speeds are low enough that it's no longer made.

An entire used computer is another solid option too. A Dell Precision 3620 with a 6600K, 8GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD can be had for less than $200. Just swap your graphics and you'd be good to go.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  44. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I think RAM will give you the best benefit. But performance still won't be great, since really this was a lower end budget computer even when it was brand new. I'd consider just saving your money until you can replace the entire system.

Ryiah likes this.
  45. valarnur

valarnur

Is RTX3050 supported with ray tracing in HDRP ? It's not listed on official page.

How is Ray Tracing working on AMD graphic cards?

46. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. HDRP's only requirement for raytracing is DirectX 12 Raytracing. Every RTX card supports it.

AMD's supported cards are currently just the RX 6000 series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_RX_6000_series

NVIDIA cards are generally faster than AMD cards in raytracing thanks to NVIDIA relying on special hardware for it whereas AMD just uses their shaders.

47. valarnur

valarnur

Did anyone try Gunnir Intel Arc A380 Photon and how is Unity HDRP raytracing experience?

48. Ryiah

Ryiah

I just watched LTT's video on the Intel Arc A370 and to quote them it's a "dumpster fire" and a "trainwreck", slower than the RTX 3050 and in some cases slower than AMD's integrated graphics, and encountered multiple bugs and crashes. To quote them, "people that buy an Arc GPU now are essentially beta testers for them".

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  49. MrSaboBassett

MrSaboBassett

We are starting a game design program at our school. We would like to purchase a laptop for the teacher teaching the course.

While I am pretty proficient with technology, my understanding of hardware is lacking. You may have to use layman's terms... haha.

For the course, the games that will be built are expected to be relatively simple and small (maybe a few levels of a side scroller, one button games, 2D maybe some beginning 3D graphics, etc.). Maybe in the second and third year of the course, games would be a bit more complex. The laptop will be used to build sample games and lessons around these games. Later iterations of the course may require games to be a bit more elaborate, but we aren't looking to create commercial games.

The laptop will be used mostly for the course, but will also be used by the teacher in their other classes but will probably not need much other software (screen sharing, Chrome, projection of movies/videos, etc.).

We are looking for good quality, but also affordability. The best bang for our buck (~$800-$1200 CAD).

Thanks for any guidance that you can provide.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  50. Dumsol

Dumsol

Hi guys, I'm buying tomorrow a very low end notebook.
    Amd e-1 1500
    4gb
    500Hd
    I'm developing a 3d game "moba like" with a lot of particles rendering. Can I test the game on the editor with this notebook or while crash?