Search Unity

HARDWARE / LAPTOP / COMPUTER for use in Unity development? Ask here! (and only here)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scorp2007, May 15, 2021.

1. FuzzyP

FuzzyP

No I have not tested this, thanks. I don't know though, I have 35 computers to update. I'm going to try a later version and see if that helps.

pKallv likes this.
  2. FuzzyP

FuzzyP

Thanks, I'll give that version a try, these desktops are killing me, but the brand new Macbook Pros haven't worked much better yet either. Fingers crossed.

3. pKallv

pKallv

Just a question do you see improvement in compilation time on the New M1 Pro? ...I am thinking of purchasing a MAX.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. RobertOne

RobertOne

Compile times on a macbook air m1 and a fully stuffed m1 max pro are exactly the same

5. RobertOne

RobertOne

Anyone here got a 12th gen alder lake cpu already?

6. Armynator

Armynator

Yup, a 12900k on stock with DDR4 RAM is a loooooot better than the TR 3960X I used before.
    Every action inside the editor seems to love pure single core performance. Domain reload, script recompilation, library imports... all went down from taking 3s to 1.5-2s. The editor UI is much more responsive as well.

It also performs better on builds, probably because most stuff gets cached after the first build anyway and the things that don't get cached seem to prefer single core speed as well.

7. RobertOne

RobertOne

Hey! Nice!
    Could you maybe perform this test on an empty project? https://forum.unity.com/threads/compile-times-twice-as-long-then-previous-versions.1123711/

S
    ince i am mostly work with unity 2019lts it would be nice to see the results on this version but tbh, happy with benchmarks on any version you currently have installed:) thanks!

my times:
    windows 10, 10th gen i9:

unity 2019LTS: Script compilation time:1.772s
    unity 2020LTS: Script compilation time:1.867s
    unity 2021.2: Script compilation time:3.235s

8. Armynator

Armynator

I don't have any 2019 version installed (and don't plan to install one, sorry :p), but here you go:

2021.2.2f1: 2.39s when creating a script (1.89s when deleting)
    2020.3.23f1: 1.28s when creating a script (1.15s when deleting)

Windows 10, 12900k on stock settings, tested 5 times and used the average, empty 3D project template without URP/HDRP

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    RobertOne likes this.
  9. RobertOne

RobertOne

nice. thanks! and no problem, from you numbers i would guess 2019 is around 1.0 seconds or even under 1 sec. that's pretty nice. thanks! :)

10. mgear

mgear

ChiFreak likes this.
  11. pKallv

pKallv

Today i purchased a new Apple M1 Max:

MBP 16” 2021
    M1 Max
    10 core processor
    32 core graphics
    16 core Neural Engine
    32 GB Memory
    1 TB SSD
    macOS Monterey 12.0.1
    Unity 2021.2.3f1 (silicon)

My current MBP:
    MBP 15" 2018
    2,6 GHz 6-Core i7
    16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
    512 SSD
    macOs Big Sure 11.6
    Unity 2021.1.27.f1

The first tests I done so far is based on my current project, a small 2d card game that is not very complex. I have so far only done five tests, which is mostly things that annoys me the most on my current rig, except the FPS.

My initial Unity tests:
    • Start project from the hub until it is accessible
      • Intel MBP: 33 sec
      • M1 Max: 12 sec
    • Compile time from click save in VS + start in editor until project start:
      • Intel MBP: 16 sec
      • M1 Max: 7 sec
    • Build project for IOS:
      • Intel MBP: 78 sec
      • M1 Max: 17 sec
    • Reimport all assets:
      • Intel MBP: 113 sec
      • M1 Max: 28 sec
    • FPS running app in editor:
      • Intel MBP: 297 FPS
      • M1 Max: 853 FPS

Will test more, like more complex projects, when I have the Max properly setup correctly and I have time.

If there is anything you want me to test just give me a shout and I will test it if I am able to do so.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. DeAnd02

DeAnd02

Is the lenovo yoga 7 (14" version with amd ryzen 7 5800u and 16 gb of ram ddr4x) good for small 3d game development?

13. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm guessing you're talking about this one:
    https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/Yoga-7-Gen-6-14-AMD/p/LEN101Y0010

It sounds fine. The weakest link is the lack of dedicated graphics, so you'll have to be conservative as far as how graphic intensive you make your project. A 14" screen is pretty small. Make sure you get enough SSD storage space, because even small Unity projects can take up a lot of disk space.

14. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

I'm posting my question from the closed thread:

I'm currently in need of a new laptop, and I consider using the chance to get a Gaming Laptop to play the next AAA games and to be able to develop 3D games in Unity (currently I'm doing mostly 2D games).

However, I am worried about the durability of the laptop. I heard that heavy tasks like gaming (possibly also 3D game development??) cause the hardware to deteriorate faster. But I don't want to shell out thousands of euros on a machine that will be broken after 2 years.

Are there any brands of gaming laptops that are good in regards to durability? (aka easily last more than 5 years?) As far as budget goes, I would go up to 1200€.

Also, how critical is a gaming laptop actually to develop 3D games in unity?

15. Armynator

Armynator

Clean the fans regularly and this should never become a problem before the hardware is outdated anyways. Laptops mostly fail because they get dropped, damaged by water/other drinks or because they never get cleaned.
    I'm using 2 Acer and 1 Lenovo laptops since over 10 years, and only 1 of them had a failed fan after 5 years of heavy usage, which could be replaced quite easily for about 20€.

Most laptops come with a 2 years warranty, some have 3 years. You might get 5 years warranty from some manufacturers, Tuxedo Computers offers it for example - but it will cost quite a bit extra.

You will need a decent gaming GPU that your game can run on, an iGPU/APU won't be a good experience. It's also quite important that the laptop has a builtin MUX switch nowadays, as you will be wasting GPU performance in some scenarios otherwise.
    Check if you can get a Lenovo Legion 5 (or 7) with a 5600H CPU (5800H would be better) and a RTX 3060 GPU (3070 would be better) in your price range. They are quite cheap for the hardware they offer. The Acer Nitro line is quite cheap as well, but the models I've checked don't have a MUX switch, so try to stay away from them if possible.

You also might be able to find something much cheaper if going back 1 or 2 CPU/GPU generations, but Unity loves single-core performance, so try to get something recent with an AMD Ryzen 5000H or an Intel 11000H series CPU.

ChiFreak likes this.
  16. Ryiah

Ryiah

From time to time I run into someone with this belief and while there can be some truth to it the reality is it's by far overblown and not a meaningful problem unless you go out of your way to cause damage. Today's CPUs and GPUs are designed to stop themselves from reaching damaging temperatures.

Below are two videos - one from 2006 and one from 2020 - the first video is where this belief largely originated from since it was once upon a time very true that you could fry your CPU but the second video shows that this is no longer the case.

Basic overclocking is generally safe too but all bets are off if you start playing around with the voltage or push it in other similarly heavy ways since the throttling tech has its limits (ie it can't help you if you're extreme overclocking and need to use liquid nitrogen to cool your CPU).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    angrypenguin and ChiFreak like this.
  17. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

Thanks for your suggestion, may I just know how much your Laptop ( and the 3 by @Armynator) costed?

My problem is that there is so much contradicting information online that I am not sure what to believe. Some sites claim that Gaming Laptops are more durable than regular ones, where as other claim that most Gaming Laptops are only optimized for good gaming specs but deteriorate fast due to poor cooling and casing.

Also are dedicated graphics really necessary or could be an Integrated Intel Iris Xe enough? According to this: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-96EUs-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.462145.0.html
    The Integrated graphics can player somewhat-recent games like Doom Eternal and Witcher 3. Isn't it then also good enough for indie 3D development?

18. RobertOne

RobertOne

my work laptop is a surface laptop 4 with an i7 and an intel xe integrated gpu. Perfectly fine for, lets say gangbeasts kinda graphics. Realtime light and postprocessing all fine. Don’t expect hdrp games like gtfo run on it in the editor but for the avarage indie game its perfectly fine

19. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

Can you recommend this Lenovo Legion 5 15IMH05 for Unity 3D development (1000€)?
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-10300H, 4x 2.50GHz
    • RAM: 16GB
    • GPU: GTX 1650 Ti 4GB

Also, are there any specific parameters I should pay attention too, if I am concerned about the durability of the laptop?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  20. RobertOne

RobertOne

Looks fine. I would go with an i7 if you can. Lenovos are very good and also last forever. Stay away from asus or acer or that crap

21. salvador5266

salvador5266

22. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

Has anybody experience with MSI laptops? I've found one that has pretty good specs for 999€, the
    MSI GF65 Thin 10UE-273 with
    intel i5-10500H 6 x 2,5GHz, 1
    6GB RAM,
    Geforce RTX3060,
    512GB SSD,
    15" FHD 144HZ,

The Spec seems very good for a gaming laptop for 999€, but I wonder about the durability/reliability of the machine? Are MSI good in that regard?

23. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I've got a different budget friendly MSI laptop from July of last year. I'd describe the quality of the build as "fine". For such a low price you're not going to get exceptional build quality, but there's no obvious or outrageous design flaws, and it has held up getting knocked around in a laptop bag every day without issue.

So I can't speak to that specific model, but so long as reviews for that laptop don't call out any problems, I would have no issue buying another budget MSI machine.

ChiFreak likes this.
  24. KeresContorni

KeresContorni

Hi everyone, I'm new to 3D game development and the Unity world. I am learning with courses on Udemy and I am trying it on my MacBook Air M1 with 16Gbyte of ram.

The project I need to realize is to create a virtual assistant (for totems with Mac Mini or Windows, iPhone, Android) with a female figure, as realistically as possible, who can answer questions that will be asked. The virtual assistant will have a white background but may also be interacting in a 3D room.

Unfortunately with the Mac Silicon I have the problem that with this Assets it does not work (something that I can easily get around for MacOS).

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...on-using-google-cloud-vr-ar-mobile-des-115172

which relies on the https://grpc.io/ library to stream the microphone to Google Cloud.

Instead, what I would need to know from you experts is what features I can need to work on this project.

My choice comes down to these three laptops:
    - Apple MacBook Pro 16 "2019 with 64 Gbyte of ram, 4Tbyte of SSD and 5500M video card with 8Gbyte;
    - Apple MacBook Pro 16 "M1 Max with 32 Gbyte of ram and 2 Tbyte of SSD;
    - ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 GX703HS and use my MacBook Air to compile for iPhone.

25. RobertOne

RobertOne

The stuff you wanna use doesn’t work on apple silicon and you consider getting an m1 max?

anyway, get the asus. Unity on mac is a dead end at the moment unfortunately

26. pKallv

pKallv

I really do not agree with your comment. I have a MBP Max biggest model with 32 GB/1TB and I could not be more happy. I have had no related problems what so ever ever, battery life is so much better than any laptop I have ever used, not experienced any heat, no throttling, and the Unity compile times is significantly reduced from the MBP 2018 I used to have. See my previous post above on my initial tests. While those tests is on a 2018 MBP my friend did similar tests on a 2020 Intel MBP and the M1 came out far ahead anyhow.

While I cannot comment on things that do not work on M1 I have not had that experience at all. The only current problem I have is the "GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping." but that is either related to my code or Unity version.

27. KeresContorni

KeresContorni

Unity on Mac isn't dead... Unity has already released the alpha version for Apple Silicon for some time and Apple itself at the presentation of the new MBP 14 and 16 clearly showed a Unity development session on these processors.

What I actually wanted to understand from the owners of the new MBPs if they found problems with complex scenes like the animation of a humanoid with photorealistic textures.

pKallv likes this.
  28. pKallv

pKallv

Unfortunately I have not tested that. If you can recommend some sort of downloadable scene I can test.

29. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

Sorry to ask again, but I've been hesitant with the MSI GF65 as I've heard it's quite loud (even during regular work) and the keyboard gets hot.

So I've found this HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec2357ng for 900€:
    Ryzen 5 5600H 6 Cores max 4.2 GhZ boost, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, RTX 3050Ti 4 GB GDDR6

I think the specs look very good for the price?
    Has anyone experience with HP Pavilion Gaming Laptops? Do they last many years? Are they better in regards to noise / heat during regular (nongaming) use?

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Welcome to gaming laptops. The high heat output is due to having a dedicated GPU with your CPU in a very tiny footprint and the noise comes from having to dissipate that heat. If you search for "HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop hot running" you'll find this is common to them too.

One part of this is that gaming laptops are designed to hit or come very close to 100C (212F) which is the point where the CPU and GPU start to throttle. Outside of gaming the temp will be lower (60C or 140F) but it won't be low enough that the fans can be unnoticeable.

Another part is that we no longer develop laptops with heavy duty cooling in them. Once upon a time gaming laptops were capable of keeping themselves adequately cooled but they likewise had a weight in excess of 15 pounds and were 17- to 19-inch rather than 15-inch. I still have one. It feels like I'm carrying a suitcase.

If you want quiet fans you typically have to step down into laptops without dedicated graphics, or pick a laptop that has both integrated and dedicated graphics that will disable the dedicated outside of heavy usage. Apple's latest generation of laptops have good performance and almost zero noise but they're very expensive too.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    ChiFreak likes this.
  31. Pranav_Redstoneinvente

Pranav_Redstoneinvente

Hi I am not sure what to buy between the Razer Blade 15 Advanced and 17 3070 variants 11th (or 12 by the time i end up buying one) Gen Intel i7
    I make 3D Games mostly with DXR and HDRP, i like to experiment a lot meaning that i often creates scenes with a lot of details such as grass and trees.
    Thanks

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

My main complaint with Razer is the same complaint I have for Apple. While both of them have good hardware the reality is you're ultimately paying a premium not because of the quality but because of the brand. If you're in the market for a status symbol go ahead and buy the Razer. Otherwise you're getting less for more.

Below are a few laptops with a similar price point to the Razer but with RTX 3080s.

https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-Display-i7-11800H-GeForce-Windows/dp/B09DFKDGRN/
    https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Opti-Mechanical-Keyboard-G533QS-DS96/dp/B099337FKM/

Finally here is what a laptop like the Razer 15 Advanced should cost when not being inflated by brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Display-R9-5900HX-Keyboard-G513QR-AS98/dp/B08XPB337W/

Meltdown and Joe-Censored like this.
  33. Pranav_Redstoneinvente

Pranav_Redstoneinvente

Alright
    thanks! Ill check it out

34. ChiFreak

ChiFreak

Is it actually save to conclude, that if a Laptop plays games with certain graphics, then it's also good for developing games with such graphics?

I mean, lets say I want to make a game with graphics comparable to Talos Principle, and the Laptop can play this game at max. details at 60FPS... does that mean I can also use this laptop for developing such a game, or are the hardware requirements for developing games higher than for just playing games?

35. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. There are two primary reasons for this. One, a released game has been optimized for release while a game that is in development can range anywhere from optimizations are complete (ie the game is preparing for release) to no optimizations (ie the game has just started development).

Two, a released game is running by itself and has been built with build options set to release. A game that is in development is either running within the editor or running by itself with debugging enabled. Both of these add overhead to the game.

In my experience the editor typically adds about 3 to 4 milliseconds of overhead to a project. A normal frame for a game targeting 60 FPS is 16.67 milliseconds. That means on hardware that would normally hit 60 FPS the editor is bringing the frame rate down to 50 FPS. Custom editor scripts can slow this down further.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    NotaNaN, ChiFreak and angrypenguin like this.
  36. Crypton-Core-Games

Crypton-Core-Games

I am kinda confused about what graphics card I should choose. I like nvidia's graphics card but I want a graphics card which should be perfect for game dev and gaming.
    Please suggest me something.....

37. Lingvist

Lingvist

Hi, did anyone have an experience of using AMD professional graphics card such as Radeon Pro WX 3100 or WX 3200 or higher? If anyone did use it for Unity is there any Unity related improvements like lighting bake time reduction or some other features

38. Ukounu

Ukounu

I have 12700k. Unity 2019.4.34: 1.050 (average). On a few tries it was just under one second, like 0.980. That's with DDR5-6000 and P5800X which may (or may not) contribute to that time.

Before that I had 9700k, and compilation time in 2019.4.34 was around 1.280.

39. MarianAbouFares

MarianAbouFares

the name of my GPU :Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
    and its type is Full Display Device NIVIDA GeForce MX130
    and the VRAM is 128 MB.
    I just want to know if Unity will run slower on such GPU or no.
    Has anyone tried unity using this laptop?

40. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. Whether it will matter for your game is another story. GPU requirement scales with the game you are making.

41. rnmetelica

rnmetelica

I'll take a note.

42. novaVision

novaVision

Trying to choose a VGA for new PC. Need to find something with reasonable price. Do someone have any experience with new Radeon RX 6500 XT? In general, what parameteres are most important for smooth Unity Editor?

43. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. It's a card that makes very little sense even with the current chip shortage. It's nearly identical in performance to a GTX 1060 but with less memory. If you haven't already bought one you're far better off buying a used card as for the same amount of money you can get a better card.

GTX 1060 for $225
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-1060-Turbo-6gb-Graphics-Video-Card-/203809802498

GTX 1660 for $300
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/275134056785?epid=18047257127

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  44. novaVision

novaVision

45. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Anyone know if latest Intel i9 has any tangible benefits over i7 processor in Unity?

46. RobertOne

RobertOne

more cores, faster singlecore speed. Singlecore = faster code compiling. Not sure what parts of unity use more cores tho. Baking lights maybe?

47. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Saw the workstation workload temps for i9 and it's not for me. Over 90C even with the best air coolers in the world. I'd need to heavily invest in cooling this beast on top of the high cost of the CPU. i7 will do just fine.

48. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's more complex than that but high single core performance does directly benefit code compiling. Cache can be a major factor too if you happen to have a large enough one that the process can fit within it.

Specifically this is where it becomes more complex than just single thread benefits compiling because builds for some platforms very much do take everything you can throw at them. I completely max out my 5950X's 16 cores every time I make a build for a platform other than standalone and mobile.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  49. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Maybe it's worth to tough it out until the new Ryzen series drop later this year. I hear they're rumored to be up to 25% faster than their current lineup, which in some benchmarks still wins over Intel's Alderlake. And by then DDR5 memory will become more affordable too. I'm reluctant to go all in on DDR4 mobo/RAM. But I could have a pretty decent productivity boost with current tech right now. Hmm...

50. witchermargya

witchermargya

Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop is best laptop for programing and development i also use it and i suggest use it its GPU is AMD processor . its battery timing to high and i also use it and feel comfort Dimensions: 14.31 x 9.74 x 0.71 inches ,Memory speed: 3.5 GHz