Search Unity

HARDWARE / LAPTOP / COMPUTER for use in Unity development? Ask here! (and only here)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scorp2007, May 15, 2021.

1. MDADigital

MDADigital

Got a unsupported message box :)

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I created the new thread specifically for this, technically the 3rd post is the OP, but when I merged some random hardware threads in to this, they had an early date, pushing them above the OP. I guess the order is alway date based (which makes sense).

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. tfishell

tfishell

might not get any responses on time understandably, but any suggestions for desktop deals this Memorial Day for relatively simple 2D gamedev?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I checked the companies I typically check for sales (Amazon, BestBuy, NewEgg, Dell, HP) and nothing stood out on the PC side of things. On the Apple side of things Costco continues to sell the base model of the new M1 Mac Mini for $600 which is $100 less than purchasing it through Apple.

https://www.costco.com/mac-mini-–-apple-m1-chip-8-core-cpu,-8-core-gpu-–-8gb-memory-–-256gb-ssd-–--silver.product.100694159.html

Just be aware you will have to use newer releases of Unity thanks to incompatibilities between the older releases and newer releases of macOS.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...-big-sur-known-issues-and-workarounds.929220/

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Joe-Censored and tfishell like this.
  5. tfishell

tfishell

Thanks for taking the time to check.

6. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Don't forget to use ssd drive...
    CPU is useful for compressing and decompressing and lightmapping ... mostly hard drive is limited currently

tfishell and Joe-Censored like this.
  7. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

This is the main problem when you have a powerful cpu during import a 2 gb package (the problem is hard drive, my hard drive is a ssd ):
    Untitled.jpg

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Can you post the specifications of your hardware? Does the network activity shown have anything to do with the import process?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  9. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Ryzen 5 3600xt
    16gb ddr4 RAM 3000 MHz
    GTX 1650 4gb

No network is not related to the import process

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

I just finished researching your PNY CS900 SSD and to be blunt it's not that you have a powerful computer (all of your components are good but average at best) but that you have a completely trash SSD.

One of the most important components of an SSD is the DRAM cache and your drive completely lacks one. It's not that it's expensive either and in fact you often won't see a price difference but without one you lose a great deal of the performance the drive should be capable of.

According to the screenshot you posted your drive is hitting 25MB/sec. A similarly priced SSD with a DRAM cache will hit at least 50MB/sec and top tier drives from companies like Samsung will hit 60MB/sec.

11. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Yes I know my hard drive is weak
    I mean, with a powerful CPU, you must to have a powerful hard drive
    My hard drive is weak and the CPU is idle during import
    Untitled.png
    Also i said powerful pc because most software can't use my cpu power, mostly it's on less than 50 % usage in most software in a heavy task

Only unity's lightmapper can use our cpu power that with GPU lightmapper we don't need it anymore

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Except it isn't the HDD that is running at 100% in that screenshot. It's the SSD.

13. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Yes, I mean the SSD

14. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Finally, I would like to say that storage memory(ssd,hdd) is not compatible with the power of CPUs and causes a decrease in system performance.
    Do not give money to very powerful CPUs...

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

In my experience the people who give this advice are the people who have either never had a powerful computer or have never built their computer correctly (ie they choose components that are poorly suited to each other).

In the two spoilers below I have taken screenshots of Task Manager while building my largest project, but before we get to that let's get to the relevant specifications. I'm running an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core/32-thread CPU, 64GB DDR4-3600, and two 2TB XPG GAMMIX S11 PRO SSDs (though not in a RAID).

Notice that the CPU usage is sitting at 100%. While building it has sat at that the entire time. Meanwhile the SSD is only sitting at 2% with the occasional spike as shown in the screenshot. Yes, 58MB/sec is only TWO PERCENT. My SSD has a max throughput of 3GB/sec and yet it doesn't get to do it because the CPU cannot keep up.

CPU usage.png
    RAM usage.png

This last one is very interesting and one I wasn't expecting. Switching platforms after you've built the Library cache files for them is largely just RAM and SSD with very little else. In my case the SSD held at least 25% with two short bursts of 85%. System memory rapidly went up to almost completely maxed out and held there for a few seconds.

Switching Platforms.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Meltdown likes this.
  16. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I'm speaking about importing a package
    Here you can see my ssd usage and cpu usage during build a project for android:
    Untitled.jpg

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Okay, but this only further proves my point that a very powerful processor is a good thing. You're seeing 99% CPU usage while the SSD is only 7%. With a faster CPU the SSD usage would go up and the time to import would go down.

18. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Yes. My point is to say that SSD is very important. CPU alone is not important in processing

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ah Okay. I just misunderstood the wording in your post then.

20. Zariii_

Zariii_

Opinions on Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 for 2D and Low Poly 3D development? I’m mostly interested in this one because of the 2-in-1 feature but I’m open to suggestions.

The specs on the one I’m looking at are:
    AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
    16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    512GB SSD
    With Integrated graphics

21. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Yes it's good from my opinion
    Your cpu,ram,ssd are fast enough

Joe-Censored and Zariii_ like this.
  22. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I know I probably never will, but if I ever got Unity working and made a game, and planned to deploy it to Xbox, would this require a Windows 10 or 11 PC?

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

Currently, and likely for the next long while, 10. 11 isn't even set for release until likely October at the earliest and Microsoft knows better than some companies (cough Apple cough cough) to make brand new upgrades the only way to develop.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  24. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just wanted to point out that the 5500u is one of the 5000 series which is actually still on Zen 2. Being a 15 TDP part you'll get excellent power efficiency, but don't expect performance on par with higher TDP parts while under a sustained load. But I agree with the above that this will work fine, so long as you understand what you're getting.

25. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Do you need to replace the entire system (ie new monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc)? Do you need support for upgrades down the line? Because at this price point I recommend choosing one of the Intel NUC clones.

https://www.amazon.com/ACEPC-Celeron-Computer-Graphics-Ethernet/dp/B07KSV7XZY/

The above machine is running a budget-tier processor but it's eight years newer than the HP's CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if the performance was around the same though the biggest reason to choose it isn't the CPU but the GPU which is Intel HD 500 and thus much faster than the HP's Intel HD 2000 GPU.

Be aware that the only upgrade path available for it is a 2.5-inch storage drive with everything else soldered.

HonoraryBob likes this.
  27. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I need to replace the whole thing, since it's over a decade old (maybe close to a decade and a half; I don't remember) and most of its fans are out, its hard drive seems to be developing trouble, and I really need a better machine anyway. I would need a new one that would have a decent GPU and preferably would allow upgrading it later on. I could spend maybe as much as $700 or $800 but would prefer to keep it under $500.

28. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

This is a good machine...
    But needs some upgrading :
    1. You must buy a ssd drive
    2. You must buy a low profile gpu... GT 1030 is the best choice

I have a mini case like this machine... It works perfectly near my new system : Ryzen 5 3600 xt and GTX 1650
    The most difference is the build time and import time...
    for example i can open visual studio in 30 seconds but in the new system it opens in the 3 seconds... it's not important because i need to open it only once... also 30 seconds is not too long time
    also i can build a apk for android in 3-10 minutes then 1 minutes in the next time...
    my new system can build that in the 1 minutes and the few seconds in the next time...

Finally I can easily work with HDRP with my old system ... but it does not work for projects larger than 500 GB

cpu: Q8400
    gpu: GT 1030 2gb
    ram : 7gb ddr3
    ssd : 120gb low price

You can also bake lightmaops using 1030 on unity 2019... unity 2020 needs 4gb gpu ram
    CPU lightmapper does not works on Q8400 but i can use Enlighten Baked mode with very low preset easily

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Here is one with a better CPU (i5-4590 vs i5-2400) and a larger monitor (23-inch vs 19-inch) for $319. Graphics is Intel HD 4600 which is sufficient for mobile development and can last until GPU prices have become "normal".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CJZBRLG/

If you don't mind spending that $500 here is an i7-4790 @ 4GHz, 16GB RAM, 960GB SSD, and a 24-inch IPS LCD monitor for a total of $490. Once the GPU crisis has ended you can upgrade the GPU until then it's Intel HD 4600 like the one above.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-9020-Performance-Computer/dp/B07Q32TD2R/ - $360
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ - $130

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    UnityLighting likes this.
  30. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Recently bought Lenovo Legion 5 with I7, gtx2060 and 32GB RAM. Other than needing faster SSD(easy upgrade) its perfectly fine for game dev, even VR.

31. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I think the Intel HD 4600 is actually worse than my current Radeon HD 8670 (released in 2013). I was surprised by how hard it is to find affordable machines with modern graphics.

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. This is one of the worst times to upgrade or buy a new machine thanks to a combination of a chip shortage, a cryptocurrency boom, the pandemic limiting shipping, etc and to top it all off there are scalpers buying hardware as soon as it hits shelves. It's starting to relent but at best we're months away from "normal" prices.

33. dunkel-san

dunkel-san

Not sure, if this is relevant, but Dell has been slashing the prices of their I9 based Precision 5820 workstations due to the fact that Lenovo is now selling Ryzen based workstations. Basically you get an I9 for the price of a Ryzen Pro in terms of benchmarks.

Sure, those are pricey monsters but if you need to buy a combined workstation/render node/file server for a project right now (like I had to) then this might be something to look at.

But I agree with current GPU prices being right over the top. I was happy to have bought a new one two years ago at the same price you would now have to cough up for a used one on Ebay.

I am not a Bot payed for by Dell, btw, just a new forum member ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Ryiah likes this.
  34. MishterKirby

MishterKirby

I'm researching processors for my first PC build, and I'm kinda confused, so if someone could help, that would be great!

So basically, I'm wondering how much of a difference is there from a Ryzen 5 2600 and a Ryzen 5 3400G based on the PassMark scores, but I have no idea how those scores would affect the real-world performance of the Editor.

All I know is that the Ryzen 5 3400G has a 9364 CPU Mark, while the Ryzen 5 2600 has a 13217 one, but I'm wondering how much of a performance loss is that.

Overlogical likes this.
  35. MishterKirby

MishterKirby

Also, would it be wise to slap on a graphics card on a G series Ryzen, and use the iGPU for less demanding things/as a backup if my card fails?

36. tfishell

tfishell

After months of trying to figure out what my next computer should be, I got lucky with Craigslist, found a decent machine from someone knowledgeable and reputable (at least that's how he seemed ;)) at a decent price. Ryzen 7, 16 GB ram, liquid cooling, currently 365+ GB space on SSD. graphics card is a somewhat old GTX 1060 3GB but that's fine for my needs. saved like 1/3 of what I spent on other machines with similar features

maybe ask on Reddit if you haven't already, a hardware subreddit might get a lot more traffic and people answering

Ryiah likes this.
  37. MishterKirby

MishterKirby

Yeah, I asked around and did my research, and settled on a Ryzen 3 3300X, since it was the most performant one I could find that wasn't too expensive :)

tfishell likes this.
  38. SaxtonSquall

SaxtonSquall

Hello I am student who will be attending my local college to study game development, and I'm looking for advice on what type of laptop I should get. I've whittle down my choice of laptop to two choices both are fairly close in terms of price so it mainly just comes down to the specs and what I should go with.

First Option is a Lenovo Legion 7 model : with a AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / 3.3 GHz CPU, a 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM RAM, a 1 TB SSD harddrive, an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 with AMD Radeon Graphics (is that really good to have that Radeon Graphics?) , and comes with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS.

Second Option is an MSI GE66 Raider: comes with a Intel Core i7 10th Gen 10870H 2.20 GHz CPU, an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU with 8 GB GDDR6, 32 GB Memory 1 TB NVMe SSD, with 32 GB DDR4 3200 16 GB x 2 memory, and Windows 10 OS.

Both seem comparatively similar (I suppose it is worth noting the Lenovo is more expensive but that's not a deal breaker.) and I'm fairly certain both reach system requirements

39. Ryiah

Ryiah

You've completely skipped over one of the most important aspects of a laptop: the display. High-end gaming laptops often have at least 1440p resolutions and at least 120Hz displays.

That said the worst problem here is that you're not providing model numbers because while you can compare two desktops using just their specifications the reality is laptops vary wildly between each other thanks to two factors that are almost always guaranteed to be sufficient in desktops: power delivery and cooling.

It's very common for two identically specced laptops to have completely different performance thanks to these making it impossible for me to make an accurate recommendation. I will say I like MSI moreso than Lenovo but that's all I can say without model numbers to look up benchmarks and reviews.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  40. SaxtonSquall

SaxtonSquall

41. Ryiah

Ryiah

Both laptops weigh 5 pounds and their power bricks weigh 2 pounds. Both laptops can only achieve 2 hours of battery life for tasks that use the GPU. So if you're buying a laptop because you want the portability be aware it's a lot to lug around and you'll need to stay close to a power socket.

Concerning noise output the MSI GE66 reviews state that it sounds like an airplane taking off when the fans are running at full speed. For the Lenovo I wasn't able to find a review stating the noise but reddit is saying that the fans have a high pitched whine to them. I know some people don't like noisy computers so I thought I'd mention it.

Yes. A higher resolution with a nearly identically sized panel means the panel has a higher pixel density. Higher density means it's harder to see the individual pixels on the screen and therefore you don't need antialiasing as much but it does mean you need a stronger GPU.

Since the Lenovo has twice the pixels (2560 by 1600 is 4 million pixels versus 1920 by 1080 which is 2 million) the Lenovo will have a lower frame rate than the MSI. It tries to make up for this with the 3080 but the refresh rate is still going to be quite a bit lower.

Recent AAA games run at 60 FPS for a 3070. The Lenovo has twice the pixels to render but the 3080 is not twice the performance of the 3070. On average these same games will only see 45 FPS on the Lenovo.

42. ninashki

ninashki

Regarding noisy computers, I have a hard time finding a (new-ish) laptop that fulfills my meager requirements AND is also quiet (and cool!).

I recently started looking at Lenovo Thinkbook 15p (20V30032US) and according to some reviews, it also suffers from the same high pitched noise that my current Lenovo laptop does. Not sure why this is even a thing for Lenovo.

tfishell likes this.
  43. Meltdown

Meltdown

Why did you opt for 64GB?
    I'm looking into only 32GB for my new build, just curious in what cases you'd be hitting the 32GB+ threshold.

44. RedStorm916

RedStorm916

Looking for input for game design laptop. Trying to decide on a laptop that is good for Level Designing, basic coding (Unity, C++), 3d modeling Maya/Blender), and art and music (Krita, Audacity). I been looking through website and industry veteran recommendations on Model, specs etc... and I think I've having fairly decent make/model for the price and just some more opinions whether or not you all think its good or bad. (Note if you have better examples feel free to list but It must be a laptop and between $2000-$3000.)

The website I was looking at was xoticpc, and the model was ASUS ROG Strix G17 G713QM-ES94 - XOTIC PC
    Specs: 17.3" FHD (1920X1080), 144HZ, MATTE display. A NVIDIA® GEFORCE RTX™ 3060 LAPTOP GPU 6GB GDDR6. AMD® RYZEN™ 9 5900HX (16MB CACHE, 3.3GHZ - 4.6GHZ, 8 CORE | 16 THREAD) 45W. A 512GB M.2 NVME SSD Operating system drive. 1TB SAMSUNG 980 SSD GEN 3 storage drive. The OS is an MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® 10 PROFESSIONAL 64 BIT. Couldn't tell if it was an aluminum case, also weight and battery life is to big an issue since it will plugged in most of the time. If I missed/overlooked something important let me know, or as I said if you can recommend something else that fits leave a link or model (Did look at MSI, Dell, and Razer brands/models) but this seemed to be a reliable brand with good reviews from both critics and customers. But as I said let me know what you guys think.

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

For starters, memory (both the volatile and non-volatile kinds) frequently have periods where the price dips and I just happened to catch one of the dips. My Trident Z Neo kit normally sells for $360 but I was able to buy it for $275.

When I do a full upgrade of my system I like it to be a truly full upgrade. I have been doubling my system memory with every complete system upgrade for more than a decade and while it's completely overkill when I first do it I find that by the time the system is halfway through it's life it's starting to show use.

One important thing to understand about modern OSes is that common accessed files are cached into available system memory when possible. It's late so I'm currently only running Chrome and Discord but between them and the cache I'm actually using 75% of my memory.

upload_2021-8-2_2-26-25.png

Finally there have been periods when I have had my development tools hit 80% or higher usage with one easy example being switching the build target platform. Check your system usage next time you do it. In my case memory spikes to 99% and the PCIe 3 NVMe SSD spikes to 85%.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Meltdown likes this.
  46. SaxtonSquall

SaxtonSquall

I was looking for a laptop for level design and 3d modeling I provided links to the exact model and sites I was looking at also a third option that had some more upgradeable parts to but from what I heard didn't have as good a track record as some others

Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6 - 16" - Ryzen 9 5900HX - 32 GB RAM - 1 TB (2x) SSD - 82N6008AUS - Laptops & 2-in-1s - CDW.com /// MSI GE66 Raider 10UH-210 - 15.6" 300 Hz - Intel Core i7-10870H - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU 16 GB GDDR6 - 32 GB Memory - 1 TB NVMe SSD - Windows 10 Home - Gaming Laptop - Newegg.com /// ASUS ROG Strix G17 G713QM-ES94 - XOTIC PC

47. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It is best right now to watch video reviews for any laptop you wish to purchase. NVidia dropped the MaxQ designation for low power variants of their mobile GPU's for this generation, so you will see different laptops with the same model number on the GPU have wildly different performance depending on if they have a high or low power budget. And it is pretty rare for the laptop makers to actually include the GPU power budget in the published specs for their laptops. Thermal performance is also not something that you can get from specs either, only really from reviews.

Unfortunately right now GPU power budget and CPU/GPU thermal solution performance are really important factors when deciding on a laptop for gaming or game dev, but you can't get that information easily (or at all) from manufacturer or vendor websites.

Otherwise, I don't see anything inherently bad about any of the models you linked.

48. Meltdown

Meltdown

Any thoughts on me keeping my Ryzen 2700X for now and waiting for Zen4 next year, or upgrading now to 5950x ?

49. Ryiah

Ryiah

Zen 4 is bringing a new memory standard and in my experience a new standard tends to be expensive for largely the same performance as an already established memory standard. Aside from that I remember the first gen Zen processors and motherboards having problems because DDR4 was new for AMD at the time.

Joe-Censored and Meltdown like this.
  50. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

5950x might be a simple drop in CPU replacement. Take a look at whether your board manufacturer has released a new Zen 3 BIOS update for it, and verify the VRM can really handle a 5950x without throttling (probably have to go to review information for the VRM stuff).

Zen 4, as mentioned above, will be a new board, new memory, etc. Typically with a new memory standard you don't actually see the performance increase over the previous standard that the raw numbers would suggest you will get. It is part of the growing pains whenever we get a new memory standard. I would expect the first outing for DDR5 to be no different. Even though the Zen 4 leaks so far look exciting, we really won't know the facts until both pricing and 3rd party reviews hit. They might have extremely great performance, but ridiculous pricing for example. Your situation would dictate whether that is worth it to you or not, but we just won't know until we know.

In the shorter term, the Zen 3 refresh sounds really interesting for anyone considering a Zen 3 already. The cache improvements might end up pretty helpful for high CPU usage tasks developers often end up doing.

Ryiah and Meltdown like this.