Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Hardware Benchmarks 5800x 8400 10900f

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Iteration time in this release is much slower than anything previously released. So productivity will sink drastically in some common tasks. Is there a hardware upgrade that can regain velocity to something workable?

Benchmarks show that 2021.1 is on average 60% slower at common tasks such as press play and refresh script and the fastest gain is 80%+ overclocking a 5800x and that's only for script refresh.
    Press play will always be slower unless you pour LN2 down a 5800x and sink in 200W. Turning an office into a chemistry lab is not the most practical upgrade path.

You can see more here https://elefantopiainc.blogspot.com/2021/03/impact-of-cpumobomemoryssd-on-speed-of.html

Here is an excerpt;
    upload_2021-3-15_22-13-54.png

2. Ruchir

Ruchir

Yeah working in unity 2021 has been a huge pain for me, changing a script in unity now feels like forever, even when we just have 2 or 3 scripts it takes 10-15 secs to compile :(

3. Armynator

Armynator

I gave this a quick try myself with some editor versions I have currently installed, and I'm really disappointed by the latest beta.

Enter playmode:
    2018.4.32f1 was the fastest version, entering playmode within 1.5 seconds.
    2020.2.3f1 was a bit slower already, entering after 2 seconds.
    2021.1.0b11 was slowest, entering after 2.5 seconds (and a bit extra, considering this annoying window appearing for a full second after hitting play every time since 2021.1)

Script or shared DLL changes:
    2018.4.32f1 - script changes 2 seconds, DLL import 7 seconds
    2020.2.3f1 - script changes 3 seconds, DLL import 8 seconds
    2021.1.0b11 - script changes 5 seconds, DLL import 9 seconds

(DLL import means replacing a simple shared library with a few common code lines with a slightly different version that just changes a single string to something else)

I guess it's obvious that the 2021.1 beta has a serious problem. Taking almost double the time to do basic things compared to 2020.2 is completely against any "rapid prototyping" workflow the marketing guys are praising.

I tested this with a Threadripper 3960X on an empty project. If changing Debug.Log("hi") to Debug.Log("bye") takes 5 seconds to recompile already, how on earth are you supposed to prototype any bigger project with a few hundred scripts without getting crazy?

Just to put this into perspective: fully rebuilding a .NET 4.5.2 solution (8 projects, around 110k lines of code) takes about 3 seconds on my machine. But changing a single script line in an otherwise empty Unity 2021.1 project isn't possible in under 5 seconds?

This is ridiculous and almost sounds like a bad joke, and I probably still wouldn't believe it if I didn't just tested it out myself.

4. valarnur

valarnur

Would it be possible for 2021.1 to use 2018.4 template for compiling scripts and entering play mode ?

5. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thanks for post, looks like skipping this release completely. The editor is already incredibly slow on the old hardware (2017 year laptop) on 2020.2. It is unimaginable, how it could be much slower.

AldeRoberge and phobos2077 like this.
  6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

phobos2077 likes this.
  7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If you're affected by reduced performance in and outside of the editor after switching to a new version of Unity, please consider submitting bug reports for these issues. Chances are that they are specific to certain combinations between hardware, software and projects that are hard to pin down and fix without help from affected users.

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

You're getting much better deltas than I do with 2020.3 or maybe 2020.1 is faster than 2018.LTS. If you get the courage to test other versions I'm interested. I quite like URP so maybe I'll downgrade to 2019.LTS.

Probably because this blog doesn't actual talk about the use case benchmarked. Cange script->editor interactive & press play -> playing speed are not mentioned.

1323490 for play->playing and 1323492 for scrip change -> editor interactive

Domain reloading regression has been reported by many people since the slowdown of 2020.2 so it's unlikely to be project specific and definitely not hardware specific, as you can also deduct from benchmarking on vastly different hardware. I read that earlier versions of the input system caused massive reload slowdowns so this could be a combination of Unity packages.
    You have your own benchmarks. What are the results?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    phobos2077 likes this.
  9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

10. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

phobos2077 and nico_st_29 like this.
  11. valarnur

valarnur

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,

Quick update:

The incident that I mentioned above is tracking a compilation time regression that only occurs in 2020.2 and 2020.3. This is unlikely to be the cause for the longer waiting times most of you have been reporting here. We have a fix for this issue now which is currently being reviewed internally. This regression doesn't affect newer releases since the script compilation pipeline has been rewritten in 2021.1.

Based on @laurentlavigne's project we now also reproduced a regression in assembly reload times after applying script changes starting with 2020.2. That regression is being tracked here and still being investigated. If you are affected by longer waiting times when entering Playmode (with Domain Reloading enabled) or refreshing the Asset Database after upgrading to a newer version (2020.2+), this case might be related.

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thank you for keeping us updated, much appreciated!

14. simon-ferquel-unity

simon-ferquel-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    I am currently seeking at changes we have made that explain performance regression in these scenarios
    I already found 3 big issues:
    - 1 about script compilation itself (for change script > editor ok scenario)
    - 1 about assembly reload (for both scenarios)
    - 1 about IDE integration project (for change script > editor ok scenario)

We are actively working on those 3 issues. However there is a workaround for the script compilation one:
    In the Player settings we added support for deterministic script compilation and enabled it by default. Disabling it should speed up script compilation.
    I would really be glad if you could tell me how much impact it has on your projects for the change script > editor ok scenario (don't expect life-changing improvements though, as script compilation usually only accounts for a marginal part of what happens on changing a script file).

15. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Thank you Simon for heads up.

Regarding IDE integration, maybe there is a clue here: open Rider in 2017 is near instant, in 20.+ it takes over 15 seconds, 21.1 is a bit slower than 20.1.

Deterministic was turned on in 2020.1.17 as well.
    In any case since you asked I'll redo the tests with that off on both versions.
    Here are the results:
    2020.1.17: 7s
    2021.1.1 between 12s and ...
    upload_2021-4-2_9-6-17.png
    on first compile
    deterministic on gives the same results in 21 and slightly slower in 20.1

As much as I like to help you I have to cut down on the testing because it's already cost a lot of time and the project is late. So if you don't mind, instead I'll refer you to Barbora from support, he can give you a copy of the project.

nico_st_29 likes this.
  16. sameng

sameng

I appreciate the team taking a look at this issue. Any improvement is really welcomed.

I just wanted to add my experience:

I have a domain reload tracker in my project since the beginning, starting on Unity 2019.
    In 2019.4, my compile/domain reloads were about 6s, sometimes 10s max if I change a lot of editor scripts.

Nowadays in 2020.3, my compile/domain reloads are consistently 11s+. Sometimes even 30s.

I haven't significantly added new scripts or plugins since upgrading to 2020 LTS, but it really feels like my workflow speed has halved.

I appreciate the team that's looking at improving this, as it's one of the non-flashy features that really affect everyone using the engine.

andreiagmu, AlejMC, aromana and 3 others like this.
  17. nico_st_29

nico_st_29

Hi Simon,

I just wanted to post here what I posted in the other thread related to those URP framedrops (https://forum.unity.com/threads/scr...-to-compile-reload-than-in-2020-1-17.1065854/).

The massive FPS drop in URP does occur still with 2021.1.0f1 (solving this for 2020.3 LTS is really what matters here but just to say that it doesn't seem to actually have been solved for 2021 unlilke what is stated in the below issue report:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/increased-script-compilation-time

Thanks a lot for your help and efforts on this. LeonhardP seems to be looking into the same issue (in case you haven't coordinated yet).

phobos2077 and laurentlavigne like this.
  18. simon-ferquel-unity

simon-ferquel-unity

Unity Technologies

I am curious about how you take the measurements by the way. Is it just by using a chronograph ? Or are you looking at editor logs ?
    We don't have an ETA yet on a fix. We are currently looking at all changes within the compilation pipeline and domain reload areas that may have an impact. And carefully benchmarking every change. That is quite a long process, and we will take care to put some additional performance regression tests about the compilation pipeline and domain reloading to avoid this in the future.

19. nico_st_29

nico_st_29

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here's a whole summary of what I understand of these URP performance issues since 2020.2:
    1) Editor Play Mode 50%+ slower compared to 2020.1.17f1:
    Issue 1277222 (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...rformance-drop-in-the-editor-during-play-mode)

2) Further In-Editor slowness compared to 2020.1.17f1:
    Logged as 1326946 by laurentlavigne (https://forum.unity.com/threads/2020-2-0b1-performance-reduction.965363/page-2#post-7008731)

3) Script compile time significantly longer
    Issue 1317926 (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/increased-script-compilation-time)

I will properly test tonight with my game (lots of units on the map, very stable on 2020.1.17f1 with URP 8.3.1):

20. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Please discuss the URP performance issues in a related thread and keep this one on topic.

21. Denchyaknow

Denchyaknow

I also noticed huge slow down since upgrading to 2020.3.1f or sooner since I didnt do any animation work till recently, The stutter for mostly happens when either Animator or Animation windows r open, restarting Unity stops the problem after closing those windows, but itll come back after a min or so using Animator or Animation windows.

I've been working super slowing with blendtrees.. It'd honestly be faster for me to script IK all the finger bones than animate them.

Using a VR project, Windows 10, 10th-Gen I5 3.4Ghz,1660GTX 8DDR5, 32GigDDR4Ram, GodModeNeuclearM2 -1TB+

Recently deleted everything Unity in my AppData hoping to clear old buggy cache form back n the day.
    Natta.

I'm considering building a whole new (2000+) Rig just so I can animate some goddam FINGIES.(Also cause I like new Toys)

Would AMD or Intel be better to reduce frameRate/stutter IN EDITOR/NOTPLAYING (EG, holding right click in scene willl randomly frame skip for xxxxx ms delay every x seconds increasing longer editor is up), Yes doing any Animating in playmode will stutter the F outa me too. Infact if I even look at a Clip Unity decides to bully me.

I found similar threads but they are never exactly the same thing, is super old, or just never given a second thought.

Gunna try downgrading to 2019LTS, hope S*** doesn't break OpenXR or anything else.

Seriously Unity wtf, Im embarrassed to talk about Unity to my Unreal colleagues, How can I spread mad Unity love if Unity wont love me back :(

Here's hoping Iteration saves us all.

22. nico_st_29

nico_st_29

This is not quite fair - Unity has been moving very fast lately so I think a small number of bugs is normal and the team is quite quick at correcting those: in fact 1) and 3) in my list already got fixed it seems.

I'll download 2020.3.4f1 when it's out and try again with my project. Thanks to the Unity team!

phobos2077 and cirocontinisio like this.
  23. sameng

sameng

I've just downloaded latest release 2020.3.4f1 which fixes the increased script compilation time. It's markedly improved!

Although the Assembly Domain Reload stage is still taking longer than 2019, the reduced compilation time has reduced compile stage for me from about 3s -> .68s.

Now, compile+domain reload times are back down to about 9s for me. Definitely improved!

This could also be placebo, but I am noticing my compile time tracker saying that fewer assemblies are being compiled. Usually, even if I only change a space in a script, it will compile both Assembly-Csharp and Assembly Editor Csharp. Now, it looks like it is correctly only compiling the changed assemblies.

I absolutely cannot wait for the domain reload regression to be improved. I can't wait to get back to the 6s iteration time. It would be a huge boon for my easily distracted brain.

Even this 2s improvement in just compile time is incredible. Thanks again to the team for taking a look at this!

24. phobos2077

phobos2077

Any ETA on fixing the assembly reload times? Waiting for this last bug fix before migrating from 2019.4. It has already 50 votes on the bug tracker. Important for many people and for good reason - iteration time is essential for productivity.

futurlab_xbox, ageana, b4gn0 and 2 others like this.
  25. ujz

ujz

Just wanted to add my feedback. Script compile in 2020.3.7f is quite manageable (<5 sec for a medium-size project). But in 2021.1.6.f1 an almost empty project takes about 10 sec to compile.

futurlab_xbox likes this.
  26. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yeah devs fixed compile in 2020.3.4

27. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

but not doomain ("oo" - dammit G14 keyboard!) reload... yet

phobos2077 likes this.
  28. sameng

sameng

Been checking every release for the domain reload to be improved. I've also been developing parts of my project in an empty project before bringing it over, to speed up iteration times.

My main project is still at 10sec until editor responsive (core i9), but sadly domain reloading sometimes chugs it up to 20sec when I try to immediately enter play mode. Not sure what's going on there. Can't wait for any improvement.

phobos2077 likes this.
  29. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

On the Discord server it was commented that part of the domain reload problem is because of the Visual Script that was added. in the next updates they should fix this for those who do not use Visual Script :)

30. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

So after the update, anyone who uses a little bit of bolt ends up with sluggish domain reload?

31. simon-ferquel-unity

simon-ferquel-unity

Unity Technologies

32. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Additionally to what Simon said, we did find an issue with the Code Editor Package for Visual Studio that could cause regressions in domain reload times in 21.1.

If you're using the VS Package, please try and update it to version 2.0.9 to see if that improves the situation. There are further fixes on their way in the upcoming version 2.0.10.

33. Extrys

Extrys

About Assembly reloads and script compilation, we are suffering it A LOT A LOT A LOT
    our scripts takes to compile and assembly reload even sometimes like 8 minutes

we are afraid to change code or do small changes tests, since we can afford the time compsumition of that

also our project is PRETTY Big to thats what makes it worse

it also get slow sometimes when trying to do play

laurentlavigne and Ruchir like this.
  34. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

kyuskoj, kloot and Extrys like this.
  35. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

sameng likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.