Search Unity

Hardware advices

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sportifsisman, Apr 11, 2021.

1. sportifsisman

sportifsisman

Hey guys. I will buy a notebook to develop games. But my limit is not too much. So I have spend my money wisely. I would like to hear your advices about hardware. Which point I should pay attention? Ram graphic card or processor? And if you write down the brachmark that you advise I would be grateful. Thank you guys ahead.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

For game development everything is important. Ideally you want a balanced build rather than one that is heavy in one way or the other. You don't need to spend a fortune but be aware that if you're aiming for a very low price it's generally better to build a desktop than buy a laptop. Assuming prices are somewhat normal.

CPU: Game development benefits from both high per-core performance as well as high core counts depending on the task you are performing. I currently use a six-core processor and it's only sufficient if I don't want to run any other apps while it's in heavy use. My upgrade (a sixteen-core behemoth processor) is coming soon for this reason.

RAM: Keeping your game files in memory in addition to the tools you use to create them can lead to heavy memory usage. While you might be able to get away with just 8GB it's generally recommended you don't go below 16GB and there are times where I have needed 32GB.

GPU: Graphics requirements are almost always dependent on the game you're making but with that said some tools use the GPU rather than the CPU for some of their processing tasks. If you want to save here is the place to do it just be aware you'll be stuck with simple games if you choose integrated graphics.

SSD: Game development involves working with a large number of small to medium files which is precisely the size of file that is most penalizing for an HDD. My largest project (contract job) is nearly 200GB so be careful not to buy too small either.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    sportifsisman and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

GPU requirements come down to the project. Unity will run on modern integrated graphics. If you need to do GPU based lightmap baking, or your project is targeting higher end graphics, then you'll want a better GPU.

On RAM, 16GB is a good amount. You should avoid going less than that. Going higher just depends on what tools you'll be using.

Make sure your project is on SSD, a better SSD is better, but any SSD is much better than the best HDD by a significant margin.

On CPU, a Ryzen 2600 is a pretty basic CPU which will give adequate to good performance (2 generation old 6 core you can still buy new). I'd try to avoid going lower than that, and it is easy to compare what you're interested in with that

sportifsisman likes this.
  4. sportifsisman

sportifsisman

Firstly Thanks for your answers. I am actually OK with RAM and SSD. But I confused about GPU and CPU. Because in three years I will be developing and mMMORPG. So I will need both CPU and GPU good performans. At that time, I decided to decide firstly branchmark(for CPU amd or intel, for GPU RTX or GTX). And also I know that the best way to increase high performans-price is buying a desktop but I will work remotely and not static so thats why I must buy a notebook.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Ryzen 5000 series laptops have been coming out recently, and there's some good deals to be had on Ryzen 4000 from last year. All of those perform really well, you'll just want 6 cores or higher. Then just get one pared with a GPU that is appropriate for your projects. That's my recommendation at least.

6. sportifsisman

sportifsisman

Thank you guys