Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard surface animation more performant without bones?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Shack_Man, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Say I want to animate a robot, where the body parts are separate meshes that never deform. I think the easiest way would be to use something like Blender, make a rig and use inverse kinematics and all those features.

Back in Unity, is that a waste of performance because all I really do is move and rotate the meshes? Does the animation system still check every vertex and move that based on the bones/weights?

In that case I'd be better off to just animate in Unity, using keyframes to change the rotation and position. But it would be a much worse workflow compared to all the features I have in Blender for animation.

Anyhow, just trying to get a better understanding of how the animation system works under the hood.

Thank you!

2. andrescuevas

andrescuevas

why hasnt anybody answered

3. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

lol, give it some time.... this is not a question that the average dev can answer. I'll eventually just go ahead and test it out with the profiler, but that will only let me see the final result. I'd much rather understand how it works under the hood, hence why I made this thread.
    I'll update my findings in here.