Search Unity

Question Haptics in OpenXR - how to send a pulse to a specific controller?

Discussion in 'VR' started by NemesisWarlock, Nov 29, 2021.

1. NemesisWarlock

NemesisWarlock

I'm currently upgrading our XR systems to OXR, and i've hit yet another roadblock.

I've updated the Haptics code from the old system to using OpenXRInput.SendHapticImpulse() as described here:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c.../UnityEngine.XR.OpenXR.Input.OpenXRInput.html

Sending an impulse works, but it sends it to both controllers, even though I've set the specific InputActionReference to the Haptic device outputs.

SendHapticImpulse() has a parameter to pass in a Input Device, but it uses InputSystem.InputDevice. From what i'm aware, XR controllers require UnityEngine.XR.InputDevice. How do I get the Correct device to pass in, here?

2. DylanF

DylanF

Try something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var device = InputSystem.GetDevice<XRController>(CommonUsages.RightHand);
    2. var command = UnityEngine.InputSystem.XR.Haptics.SendHapticImpulseCommand.Create(0,amplitude,duration);
    3. device.ExecuteCommand(ref command);

eovento likes this.
  3. NemesisWarlock

NemesisWarlock

That's using the old method, I'm specifically asking how
    OpenXRInput.SendHapticImpulse()
    works.

Besides, the first line of the code you provided won't even compile:
    CS0311    The type 'UnityEngine.XR.Interaction.Toolkit.XRController' cannot be used as type parameter 'TDevice' in the generic type or method 'InputSystem.GetDevice<TDevice>(InternedString)'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.XR.Interaction.Toolkit.XRController' to 'UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice'.  

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  4. zachdavis0099

zachdavis0099

+1 I've been struggling with the same thing.

5. NemesisWarlock

NemesisWarlock

I've managed to sort this one out. UnityEngine.InputSystem.XR (As opposed to just plain InputSystem, watch out for this one) has the appropriate InputSystem.InputDevice to pass through to OpenXRInput.SendHapticImpulse.

Code (CSharp):
    2. [SerializeField] InputActionReference leftHapticAction;
    3. [SerializeField] InputActionReference rightHapticAction;
    6. OpenXRInput.SendHapticImpulse(rightHapticAction, amplitude, duration, UnityEngine.InputSystem.XR.XRController.rightHand); //Right Hand Haptic Impulse
    9. OpenXRInput.SendHapticImpulse(leftHapticAction, amplitude, duration, UnityEngine.InputSystem.XR.XRController.leftHand); //Left Hand Haptic Impulse

Yuki_Asakawa and Jonathan-Bro like this.
  6. Gerrielofo

Gerrielofo

This doesn't return any errors for me but is still doesn't work. I am using the Quest 2.

edit: I it's my bad, I thought my group was using OXR but it turns out we're using OVR.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

What are the units for amplitude and duration? The docs do not say, and I haven't yet been able to find a specific example.

8. koirat

koirat

Amplitude should be [0-1] where 1 is max. (similar to volume)

9. RogueStargun

RogueStargun

Thank you good sir. You have succeeded where AI has failed :)