Search Unity

Haptic Feedback for HTC Vive... (SteamVR_Controller does not exist...)

Discussion in 'VR' started by tytang24, Oct 3, 2018.

1. tytang24

tytang24

Hello... I really tried my hardest to avoid asking this because it seems like such a dumb question, but I cannot for the life of me get haptic feedback working in Unity. The issue stems from not being able to find SteamVR_Controller in the namespace...

I really don't know why this is happening or what's going on. I figured it was the newest version of Unity/SteamVR that caused the problem and there was some new way to do it, but I really am about to throw my computer out the window.

I have the SteamVR plugin and SteamVR is installed. I don't have any problems using the camerarig and the controllers are being picked up correctly. Please, please help me and save me from going insane.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using Valve.VR;
    3. using Valve.VR.InteractionSystem;
    5. public class VibrateOnTouch : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    8.     public SteamVR_Controller;

2. tonnynevel

tonnynevel

i have same problem, using latest 2018.2.12f1 and SteamVR, looked as they just delete this SteamVR_Controller script and i really did not know how to use it now, all tutorials based on it. In older versions i find this script, but when you drag&drop it in new project it cause too much errors. So if somebody know how to solve it you will save 2 PC from being dropped from window.

3. elaine_jiang

elaine_jiang

I'm having the same problem!!! There aren't any examples in the documentation, so it's been super frustrating. :(

Has anyone figured it out?

4. zvidrih

zvidrih

Hi,

as you guys I've been quite surprised to see that most of the things have been turned upside down in Unity steamvr. Anyway, i think i have a quick solution, which works for me for now.

Controllers have SteamVR_Behaviour_Pose scripts which don't include output by default, so I've just added a SteamVR_Action_Vibration to them

Code (CSharp):
    1. [SteamVR_DefaultAction("Haptic")]
    2. public SteamVR_Action_Vibration hapticSignal;
    and in editor set hapticSignal to \actions\default\out\Haptic (attachment)

then you can simply trigger the haptic commands by calling

Code (CSharp):
    1. SteamVR_Action_Vibration.Execute(float secondsFromNow, float durationSeconds, float frequency, float amplitude, SteamVR_Input_Sources inputSource)
    where inputSource comes from the SteamVR_Behaviour_Pose.

after that instead of "controller" use the SteamVR_Behaviour_Pose controller

e.g.

Code (CSharp):
    1. controller.hapticSignal.Execute(0f, 0.1f, 160, 0.5f, controller.inputSource);
    Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

FlightOfOne likes this.
  5. kjohnsen1

kjohnsen1

From my testing with the Oculus Touch on Steam VR, using Unity 2018.2.16f1

delay - does nothing (set to anything)
    duration - Anything <= .79f works. 0 also works for a short pulse. You need to set > 0 to really feel the other things
    frequency - up to 320 works, and can be felt as long as duration > 0. Don't set Freq == 0, will crash system
    amplitude - up to ~.25f can be felt, after that, it's full strength.

6. CDrik_

CDrik_

Thank you so much !

7. heatondev

heatondev

DefaultAction attribute seems to be gone in the latest update. Anyone else have haptics working?

8. EyePD

EyePD

I followed these guides and the haptics displayed as if they were activated in the SteamVR Input Live View but I could not get my controllers (Knuckles EV3) to actually vibrate. I was in a hurry so I decided to just use the built-in UnityXR haptics and they worked fine:

Code (CSharp):
    1. InputDevice device = InputDevices.GetDeviceAtXRNode(XRNode.RightHand);
    2. HapticCapabilities capabilities;
    3. if(device.TryGetHapticCapabilities(out capabilities))
    4. {
    5.     if(capabilities.supportsImpulse)
    6.     {
    7.         uint channel = 0;
    8.         float amplitude = 0.5f;
    9.         float duration = 1.0f;
    10.         device.SendHapticImpulse(channel, amplitude, duration);
    11.     }
    12. }

Jonas-Neuston likes this.